Standing Wave Nodes and Interference on a Stretched String

In summary, when two sinusoidal waves with wavelengths of 5m and amplitudes of 10cm travel in opposite directions on a 20m string, there will be two nodes at the ends and three additional nodes in the resulting standing wave. The fact that the waves collide is not irrelevant until proven otherwise, as shown by considering the instant when the waves reinforce to the maximum extent and comparing the nodes of the individual waves.
RUphysics3

Homework Statement

Two sinusodial waves, each of wavelength 5m and amplitude 10cm, travel in opposite directions on a 20m streched string which is clamped at each end. Excluding the nodes at the ends , how many nodes appear in the resulting standing wave?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
So I just drew a picture, 20m long string, and drew a wave through it with each wavelength being 5m. I basically disregarded that there were two separate waves. I still got the right answer. Is the fact that they collide irrelevant? Why?

Physics news on Phys.org
RUphysics3 said:
So I just drew a picture, 20m long string, and drew a wave through it with each wavelength being 5m. I basically disregarded that there were two separate waves. I still got the right answer. Is the fact that they collide irrelevant? Why?
It is only irrelevant once proved to be so.
Consider an instant at which the two waves reinforce to the maximum extent at some point. Drawa picture of this. Draw the two individual waves on the same picture. Do they reinforce everywhere at that time? Compare the nodes of the three waves.

Related to Standing Wave Nodes and Interference on a Stretched String

1. What is a sinusoidal wave?

A sinusoidal wave is a type of wave that has a repeating pattern of oscillation, with peaks and valleys that form a smooth curve resembling a sine wave. It is a fundamental type of wave that is characterized by its amplitude, wavelength, and frequency.

2. How are sinusoidal waves created?

Sinusoidal waves can be created through the vibration or oscillation of a medium, such as air or water. They can also be created by a vibrating object, such as a guitar string or a speaker cone, which causes the medium around it to vibrate and produce a wave.

3. What are nodes in a sinusoidal wave?

Nodes are points on a sinusoidal wave where the displacement of the medium is at its minimum or zero. They are the points where the wave crosses the equilibrium position, or the rest point, and the amplitude of the wave is equal to zero.

4. How do nodes affect the behavior of a sinusoidal wave?

Nodes play a crucial role in determining the properties and behavior of a sinusoidal wave. They are important points for measuring the wavelength and determining the frequency of the wave. Nodes also affect how the wave reflects and interferes with other waves, which can result in constructive or destructive interference.

5. What are some real-life applications of sinusoidal waves and nodes?

Sinusoidal waves and nodes have many practical applications in science and technology. Some examples include the transmission of radio waves, the production of sound waves in musical instruments, and the generation of electricity in power plants. They are also used in medical imaging techniques, such as ultrasound, and in the study of earthquakes and seismology.