Traveling Twice Speed of Light: Theory and Calculation

• Thread starter Interested user
  • Start date
In summary, according to Einstein's theory of relativity, it is impossible for any object with mass to travel at the speed of light, let alone twice that speed. The theory of traveling twice the speed of light is based on the concept of a hypothetical particle called a tachyon, but there is currently no evidence to support their existence. The speed of light is calculated as a constant in the universe, defined as 299,792,458 meters per second (m/s), derived from Maxwell's equations. If an object were able to travel twice the speed of light, it would violate the laws of physics and have infinite mass, making it impossible according to our current understanding of the universe. There is currently no scientific evidence to support the
Interested user
How did you find PF?
Google search
I found a theory on a previous thread, “if a vessel, V is traveling to a fixed point, M along with Y. If v was traveling at a speed a little bit less then the speed of light and so was Y, wouldn’t V be traveling at twice the speed of light relative to Y?” i also saw the equation, ν+υ over 1+νυ/c^2. I used this equation to test the theory and it seemed that the theory made perfect sense yet I still have my doubts if my calculations are correct. I would very much appreciate it if anyone could give me some information on the topic. I have just started learning about physics and I would very much like to learn more.

Physics news on Phys.org
Interested user said:
How did you find PF?: Google search

I found a theory on a previous thread, “if a vessel, V is traveling to a fixed point, M along with Y. If v was traveling at a speed a little bit less then the speed of light and so was Y, wouldn’t V be traveling at twice the speed of light relative to Y?” i also saw the equation, ν+υ over 1+νυ/c^2. I used this equation to test the theory and it seemed that the theory made perfect sense yet I still have my doubts if my calculations are correct. I would very much appreciate it if anyone could give me some information on the topic. I have just started learning about physics and I would very much like to learn more.
Welcome to PF! We have a Relativity sub-forum where you can learn about it.

russ_watters said:
thanks!

About the tittle of this thread, the equation I used to measure the speed that V would be traveling at relative to Y would be: ν+υ over 1+νυ/c∧2

Interested user said:
About the tittle of this thread, the equation I used to measure the speed that V would be traveling at relative to Y would be: ν+υ over 1+νυ/c∧2
Welcome to PhysicsForums. :smile:

One tip -- If you click on the "LaTeX Guide" link in the lower left of the Edit box, you can learn how to use LaTeX to post math equations at PF. That helps to make the threads much more readable. Enjoy!

Interested user said:
russ_watters said:
Wow! Your website is amazing and its amazing what you can accomplish with your equipment alone! If I were you, I would definitely keep posting on your website!

Likes russ_watters
Thanks, yeah unfortunately I've let the website updates lag about 5yrs...

russ_watters said:
Thanks, yeah unfortunately I've let the website updates lag about 5yrs...
Either way, I love what your doing and I think that its a great hobby/activity to participate in.

Likes russ_watters
About this theory, if 2 objects are traveling at different speeds, making it so that one object is traveling at a speed 2c, what would happen if there were 3 vessels? Would it make the equation for speed calculation relative to y, y+v+n (n= the third object)? Would this result in V traveling at 3c relative to n? Please let me know.

• Skeptical
Likes PeroK
Interested user said:
About this theory, if 2 objects are traveling at different speeds, making it so that one object is traveling at a speed 2c, what would happen if there were 3 vessels? Would it make the equation for speed calculation relative to y, y+v+n (n= the third object)? Would this result in V traveling at 3c relative to n? Please let me know.
Remember that the New Member Introductions forum is just for brief introductions, not for detailed questions.

Have a look at this Insights article to help you understand why it is c in all reference frames, not 2c or 3c.

https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/speed-light-frames-reference/

This introductory thread is now closed.

1. Can a person or object actually travel twice the speed of light?

No, according to Einstein's theory of relativity, it is impossible for any object with mass to travel at the speed of light, let alone twice that speed. As an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases infinitely and it would require an infinite amount of energy to reach that speed.

2. What is the theory behind traveling twice the speed of light?

The theory of traveling twice the speed of light is based on the concept of a hypothetical particle called a tachyon. Tachyons are theoretical particles that are thought to travel faster than the speed of light. However, there is currently no evidence to support their existence.

3. How is the speed of light calculated?

The speed of light is a constant in the universe and is defined as 299,792,458 meters per second (m/s). This value is derived from the relationship between the electric and magnetic fields in a vacuum, known as Maxwell's equations.

4. What would happen if an object could travel twice the speed of light?

If an object were able to travel twice the speed of light, it would violate the laws of physics as we know them. It would also have infinite mass and would require infinite energy to reach that speed. This is why it is considered impossible according to our current understanding of the universe.

5. Is there any evidence to support the theory of traveling twice the speed of light?

No, there is currently no scientific evidence to support the theory of traveling twice the speed of light. While there have been some experiments that have claimed to observe particles moving faster than light, these results have not been replicated and are not widely accepted by the scientific community.