Traveling proton and electric field problem

So your answer for B is correct if the direction is supposed to be due left - just clarify that in your answer.
kirby2
A proton is traveling horizontally to the right at 4.20×106 m/s.

Find (a)the magnitude and (b) direction (counterclockwise from the left direction) of the weakest electric field that can bring the proton uniformly to rest over a distance of 3.40 cm.

Part C: How much time does it take the proton to stop after entering the field?

What minimum field ((Part D)magnitude and (Part E)direction) would be needed to stop an electron under the conditions of part (a)?

ATTEMPT:

PART A: i used two formulas. vf^2=V0^+2a(deltaX) and E=F/q. i solved the first one for a and plugged it into the second one getting -2.7E6 N/C. i put a negative sign because the field must attract the proton. but I'm not sure if this is right.

PART B: I am not sure what the question means by "counterclockwise from the left direction" but i think the direction is due left. which would normally be 180 degrees.

PART C: using the equation vf=v0+at i plugged in my values found above and got t= 1.62E-8 seconds.

PART D: i used the same method in D except i changed the mass to the mass of an electron. i got 14878.75 N/C

PART E: same for PART B

are these right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good except for the direction of the E field for the case of the electron. (The electron has a negative charge.)

Likes Delta2
All uncertainties of negative signs are removed by drawing a picture. Draw the diagram with the x axis, show the proton moving to the right (in the + x direction). Now ask the question, what direction should the force be to stop the proton? That will also give the direction of the electric field, and then the sign will be obvious. This diagram should be drawn before starting on any formulas.

Likes TSny
PART B: I am not sure what the question means by "counterclockwise from the left direction" but i think the direction is due left. which would normally be 180 degrees.

@kirby2 Counterclockwise from the left means start facing due left, and measure all vector directions relative to this reference direction (with positive angles being rotations CCW from this direction). So if the electric field needs to be due left, it would be at an angle of 0 degrees, according to this coordinate convention. It's not a usual coordinate convention, which would measure things CCW from +x (right) or from +y (up). But it does seem to be what the problem is calling for here.

Related to Traveling proton and electric field problem

1. What is a traveling proton?

A traveling proton is a positively charged subatomic particle that is constantly in motion. It is one of the fundamental building blocks of matter and is found in the nucleus of an atom.

2. How does a traveling proton interact with an electric field?

A traveling proton will experience a force when it enters an electric field. The direction of the force depends on the direction of the electric field and the charge of the proton. If the electric field is positive, the proton will be pushed in the same direction as the electric field. If the electric field is negative, the proton will be pushed in the opposite direction.

3. What is the relationship between the speed of a traveling proton and the strength of an electric field?

The speed of a traveling proton is directly proportional to the strength of an electric field. This means that as the strength of the electric field increases, the speed of the proton will also increase.

4. How can the motion of a traveling proton in an electric field be described?

The motion of a traveling proton in an electric field can be described using Newton's laws of motion and the equations of electrostatics. The proton will accelerate in the direction of the electric field and its motion can be calculated using the equations for acceleration, velocity, and position.

5. How is the motion of a traveling proton affected by the presence of other charged particles?

The motion of a traveling proton can be influenced by other charged particles in its vicinity. These particles can create their own electric fields, which can either add to or cancel out the original electric field. This can result in changes to the proton's speed and direction of motion.