Transmission and Reflection on a potential step

In summary: Question 3: How do i get the last two equations (wavefunctions with ##\mathcal L## and ##\mathcal K##) from the formulas with amplitudes?In summary, the conversation discusses a potential step with two regions: region 1 with zero potential and region 2 with a potential. The wave functions for this case are given, along with the relationship between the amplitudes of the incoming, reflected, and transmitted waves. The equations for calculating the transmittivity and reflectivity coefficients are also mentioned, along with the probability current equation. The conversation then delves into deriving the equations for R and T, with
71GA
Lets say we have a potential step with regions 1 with zero potential ##W_p\!=\!0## (this is a free particle) and region 2 with potential ##W_p##. Wave functions in this case are:

\begin{align}
\psi_1&=Ae^{i\mathcal L x} + B e^{-i\mathcal L x} & \mathcal L &\equiv \sqrt{\frac{2mW}{\hbar^2}}\\
\psi_2&=De^{-i\mathcal K x} & \mathcal K &\equiv \sqrt{\frac{2m(W_p-W)}{\hbar^2}}
\end{align}

Where ##A## is an amplitude of an incomming wave, ##B## is an amplitude of an reflected wave and ##D## is an amplitude of an transmitted wave. I have sucessfuly derived a relations between amplitudes in potential step:

\begin{align}
\dfrac{A}{D} &= \dfrac{i\mathcal L-\mathcal K}{2i\mathcal L} & \dfrac{A}{B}&=-\dfrac{i \mathcal L - \mathcal K}{i \mathcal L + \mathcal K}
\end{align}

I know that if i want to calculate transmittivity coefficient ##T## or reflexifity coefficient ##R## i will have to use these two relations that i know from wave physics.

\begin{align}
T &= \frac{j_{trans.}}{j_{incom.}} & R &= \frac{j_{ref.}}{j_{incom.}}
\end{align}

In above equations ##j## is a probability current which i also know how to derive (nice way is described http://www.physics.ucdavis.edu/Classes/Physics115A/probcur.pdf):

\begin{align}
j = -\frac{\hbar i }{2m}\left(\frac{d \psi}{dx}\psi^* - \frac{d\psi^*}{dx}\psi\right)
\end{align}

OK so far so good, but in our lectures professor somehow derived below equations which i can't derive. Could anyone please tell me how i can use all my knowledge described above to derive it?

\begin{align}
\boxed{R = \frac{(\mathcal{L - K})^2}{(\mathcal{L + K})^2}} && \boxed{T=\frac{4\mathcal{LK}}{\mathcal{(L+K)^2}}}
\end{align}

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Some slight remarks first:
71GA said:
\begin{align}
\dfrac{A}{D} &= \dfrac{i\mathcal L-\mathcal K}{2i\mathcal L} & \dfrac{A}{B}&=-\dfrac{i \mathcal L - \mathcal K}{i \mathcal L + \mathcal K}
\end{align}
It is usually convenient to give your answers in the reciprocal way instead (ie B and D in terms of A), because A is the experimental parameter that you control.
71GA said:
\begin{align}
T &= \frac{j_{trans.}}{j_{incom.}} & R &= \frac{j_{trans.}}{j_{incom.}}
\end{align}
I presume you meant ##j_{ref.}## for R?

What you have now:
(1) Formula for calculating probability current
(2) The incoming, reflected and transmitted wavefunctions
(3) The relationship between R, T and the probability currents

Can you use (1) and (2) to compute the probability currents for the incoming, reflected and transmitted wavefunctions?

Can you then substitute the obtained probability currents into (3) to obtain R and T?

Fightfish said:
Can you use (1) and (2) to compute the probability currents for the incoming, reflected and transmitted wavefunctions?
I think this is possible i will do it and post results.

Fightfish said:
(2) The incoming, reflected and transmitted wavefunctions

But before i continue. Can i rightfully say that function ##\psi_I## consists of two wavefunctions ##\psi_{I~in} = Ae^{i\mathcal L x}## (incomming waves) and ##\psi_{I~re} = Be^{-i \mathcal L x}## (reflected waves)?

71GA said:
But before i continue. Can i rightfully say that function ##\psi_I## consists of two wavefunctions ##\psi_{I~in} = Ae^{i\mathcal L x}## (incomming waves) and ##\psi_{I~re} = Be^{-i \mathcal L x}## (reflected waves)?
Yes, ##\psi_I## is a superposition of the incoming and reflected waves.

my try

So here i go. 1st i write down an equation for reflection, plug in the probability currents (please confirm if my currents are ok) and try to calculate reflection ##R##.
\begin{align}
R &= \dfrac{-\frac{\hbar i}{2m} \left( \dfrac{d\psi_{1re}^*}{dx} \psi_{1re} - \dfrac{d \psi_{1re}}{dx} \psi_{1re}^* \right) }{-\frac{\hbar i}{2m} \left( \dfrac{d\psi_{1in}^*}{dx} \psi_{1in} - \dfrac{d \psi_{1in}}{dx} \psi_{1in}^* \right) } = \dfrac{ \frac{d}{dx}\left(Be^{i\mathcal L x}\right) Be^{-i\mathcal L x} - \frac{d}{dx} \left( Be^{-i\mathcal L x}\right) Be^{i\mathcal L x}}{ \frac{d}{dx}\left(Ae^{-i\mathcal L x}\right) Ae^{i\mathcal L x} - \frac{d}{dx} \left( Ae^{i\mathcal L x}\right) Ae^{-i\mathcal L x} } = \\
&=\dfrac{i\mathcal L B e^{i\mathcal L x} B e^{-i \mathcal L x} - \left(- i\mathcal L B e^{-i \mathcal L x} Be^{i \mathcal L x}\right)}{-i \mathcal L A e^{-i\mathcal L x} Ae^{i \mathcal L x} - i \mathcal L A e^{i \mathcal L x}Ae^{-i \mathcal L x} }=\dfrac{i\mathcal L B^2 + i\mathcal L B^2}{-i \mathcal L A^2 - i \mathcal L A^2}=\dfrac{2 i \mathcal L B^2}{-2i\mathcal L A^2} = -\frac{B^2}{A^2}
\end{align}

Question 1: If i look here reflection is defined as a square of absolute values ##T = |B|^2/|A|^2## while i only got squares and a minus sign ##T = - B^2/A^2##. Why do we have to use absolute values?

If i use the correct equation (and not the one i got - i still need some explanation on the one i got) ##T = |B|^2/|A|^2## and plug in the expression ##B=\frac{i\mathcal L + \mathcal K}{i\mathcal L - \mathcal K} A## i get the solution which shows that all of the incomming waves gets reflected.
\begin{align}
T= \frac{|i \mathcal L + \mathcal K|^2 }{|i \mathcal L - \mathcal K|^2} \frac{A^2}{|A|^2} = \frac{|i \mathcal L + \mathcal K|^2 }{|i \mathcal L - \mathcal K|^2} = \frac{(i \mathcal L + \mathcal K)(-i \mathcal L + \mathcal K) }{(i \mathcal L - \mathcal K)(-i \mathcal L - \mathcal K)} = \frac{\mathcal L^2-i \mathcal L \mathcal K+i\mathcal L \mathcal K+\mathcal K^2}{\mathcal L^2+i\mathcal L \mathcal K-i\mathcal L \mathcal K + \mathcal K^2} = \frac{\mathcal L^2+ \mathcal K^2}{\mathcal L^2 + \mathcal K^2} = 1
\end{align}

The result allso looks ok for ##T## (i noticed that ##\psi_2 = De^{-\mathcal K x}## and NOT ##\psi_2 = De^{- i\mathcal K x}## as i wrote in my 1st post). If i use these functions result is:.

\begin{align}
T&=\dfrac{-\frac{\hbar i}{2m} \left( \dfrac{d\psi_{1tr}^*}{dx} \psi_{1tr} - \dfrac{d \psi_{1tr}}{dx} \psi_{1tr}^* \right) }{-\frac{\hbar i}{2m} \left( \dfrac{d\psi_{1in}^*}{dx} \psi_{1in} - \dfrac{d \psi_{1in}}{dx} \psi_{1in}^* \right) } = \dfrac{ \frac{d}{dx}\left(De^{-\mathcal K x}\right) De^{-\mathcal K x} - \frac{d}{dx} \left( De^{-\mathcal K x}\right) De^{-\mathcal K x} }{ \frac{d}{dx}\left(Ae^{-i\mathcal L x}\right) Ae^{i\mathcal L x} - \frac{d}{dx} \left( Ae^{i\mathcal L x}\right) Ae^{-i\mathcal L x} } = \\
&=\dfrac{-\mathcal K D e^{-\mathcal K x} D e^{-\mathcal K x} - (-\mathcal K D e^{-\mathcal K x} D e^{-\mathcal K x})}{-i \mathcal L A e^{-i\mathcal L x} Ae^{i \mathcal L x} - i \mathcal L A e^{i \mathcal L x}Ae^{-i \mathcal L x}} =\frac{0}{-2i \mathcal L A^2} = 0
\end{align}

Question 2: Why do i get ##T=0##? Does this mean that i cannot penetrate the finite potential if it is infinitely long?

Last edited:
Right, I went back to your original derivations and found that there were several mistakes that I didn't pick up.

First, check your expressions for D/A and B/A. I got different answers from you when I worked it out explicitly. Next ##R = |j_{ref}|/|j_{inc}|## is a ratio of the magnitudes and hence is always a positive quantity. Making these corrections should enable you to arrive at the desired results.

With regards to the form of ##\psi_{2}##, it depends on whether the energy of the wave is greater or less than the step height. If the step height is greater than the energy of the wave, then of course you get a transmission coefficient of 0 as you have worked out.

Fightfish said:
Right, I went back to your original derivations and found that there were several mistakes that I didn't pick up.

First, check your expressions for D/A and B/A. I got different answers from you when I worked it out explicitly. Next ##R = |j_{ref}|/|j_{inc}|## is a ratio of the magnitudes and hence is always a positive quantity. Making these corrections should enable you to arrive at the desired results.

With regards to the form of ##\psi_{2}##, it depends on whether the energy of the wave is greater or less than the step height. If the step height is greater than the energy of the wave, then of course you get a transmission coefficient of 0 as you have worked out.

This would be clear to me if i could figure out why i get negative sign in ##T = - B^2/A^2##. Is it maybee that my probability current is somehow messed up?

71GA said:
This would be clear to me if i could figure out why i get negative sign in ##T = - B^2/A^2##. Is it maybee that my probability current is somehow messed up?
I presume you meant R. R is defined as ##R =|j_{ref}| / |j_{inc}|## instead of just ##j_{ref}/j_{inc}##. The minus sign appears when you use the latter instead because the probability currents of the reflected and incoming waves are in opposite directions.

I noticed that you edited your post, so I shall address some of those queries here too.
First of all, your expression for the coefficients B and D in terms of A are not correct.
Next, you got T = 0, because when you took ##\psi_{2} = D e^{-\mathcal{K} x}##, you essentially assumed that ##W < W_{p}##.

Fightfish said:
I presume you meant R. R is defined as ##R =|j_{ref}| / |j_{inc}|## instead of just ##j_{ref}/j_{inc}##. The minus sign appears when you use the latter instead because the probability currents of the reflected and incoming waves are in opposite directions.

I noticed that you edited your post, so I shall address some of those queries here too.
First of all, your expression for the coefficients B and D in terms of A are not correct.
Next, you got T = 0, because when you took ##\psi_{2} = D e^{-\mathcal{K} x}##, you essentially assumed that ##W < W_{p}##.

Yes that's what i thought. Iam sorry for the mistake. Why are those terms not correct? I know that my sign was wrong...

The general solution for an incoming wave approaching the step potential is:
[tex]\psi_{I} = A e^{i \mathcal{L} x} + B e^{-i \mathcal{L} x} \quad , \quad x < 0\\
\psi_{II} = D e^{i \mathcal{K} x} \quad , \quad x > 0[/tex]
By continuity, we demand that
[tex]
\psi_{I}(0) = \psi_{II}(0) \quad \Rightarrow \quad A + B = D\\
\frac{d\psi_{I}}{dx}|_{x=0} = \frac{d\psi_{II}}{dx}|_{x=0} \quad \Rightarrow \quad \mathcal{L}A-\mathcal{L}B = \mathcal{K} D
[/tex]
Solving simultaneously,
[tex]
\frac{D}{A} = \frac{2 \mathcal{L}}{\mathcal{L}+\mathcal{K}}\\
\frac{B}{A} = \frac{\mathcal{L} - \mathcal{K}}{\mathcal{L}+\mathcal{K}}\\
[/tex]

Fightfish said:
The general solution for an incoming wave approaching the step potential is:
[tex]\psi_{I} = A e^{i \mathcal{L} x} + B e^{-i \mathcal{L} x} \quad , \quad x < 0\\
\psi_{II} = D e^{i \mathcal{K} x} \quad , \quad x > 0[/tex]
By continuity, we demand that
[tex]
\psi_{I}(0) = \psi_{II}(0) \quad \Rightarrow \quad A + B = D\\
\frac{d\psi_{I}}{dx}|_{x=0} = \frac{d\psi_{II}}{dx}|_{x=0} \quad \Rightarrow \quad \mathcal{L}A-\mathcal{L}B = \mathcal{K} D
[/tex]
Solving simultaneously,
[tex]
\frac{D}{A} = \frac{2 \mathcal{L}}{\mathcal{L}+\mathcal{K}}\\
\frac{B}{A} = \frac{\mathcal{L} - \mathcal{K}}{\mathcal{L}+\mathcal{K}}\\
[/tex]

Yes but if i understood right this is only for a particle with energy ##W>W_p##, otherwise we would have to define ##\psi_{II} = D e^{-\mathcal{K} x}## like i did and that's why i got solutions for a particle with energy ##W<W_p##. Am i right?

Unfortunately I'm getting some internal server error thingy when I attempt to use the advanced reply options, but anyway let me just give you a quick reply here.

(1) Oh okay, you are right that your solution implicitly assumes that W < Wp and that is why you got the results that you got, namely that T = 0 and R = 1. It is not hard to see why this must be the case because conservation of energy will be violated if the particle could penetrate the potential step (key word being step, as opposed to barrier).

(2) The expressions obtained by your lecturer for T and R, however, are true only for W > Wp.

(3) The solution that I cited actually holds generally for plane waves incident upon the barrier, regardless of whether the energy of the incoming wave is lower or higher than the barrier, provided that the ##\mathcal{K}## is defined to be ##\sqrt{2m(W - W_{p})}/\hbar##.
Imagine now that the energy of the wave is less than the barrier potential. Then ##\mathcal{K}## will be imaginary. We can write ##\mathcal{K}## as ##i \mathcal{K}'## where ## \mathcal{K}' \equiv \sqrt{2m(W_{p} - W)}/\hbar## is real.
From there you can obtain the expression ##\psi_{II} = e^{-\mathcal{K}'x}## that you have.

The point of this exercise is that one can obtain a general solution for R and T before deciding whether to pick W < Wp or W > Wp.

Thank you very much for all your help. I think i understand now.

I did calculate the reflectivity coefficient ##R## now but i don't know if my last two steps are legit. Could you please check and tell me if i can swap ##|~|## with ##(~)## and change order of ##\mathcal L## and ##\mathcal K## like i did that.

\begin{align*}
R &= \dfrac{\big|j_{re}\big|}{\big|j_{in}\big|} \!=\! \Bigg|\dfrac{\dfrac{\hbar }{2mi} \left( \dfrac{d\overline{\psi}_{re}}{dx}\, \psi_{re} - \dfrac{d\psi_{re}}{dx}\, \overline{\psi}_{re} \right)}{\dfrac{\hbar}{2mi} \left( \dfrac{d\overline{\psi}_{in}}{dx}\, \psi_{in} - \dfrac{d\psi_{in}}{dx}\, \overline{\psi}_{in} \right) }\Bigg|\!=\! \Bigg| \dfrac{\frac{d}{dx}\big(\overbrace{Be^{i\mathcal L x}}^{\text{konjug.}}\big) Be^{-i\mathcal L x} - \frac{d}{dx} \left( Be^{-i\mathcal L x}\right) \overbrace{Be^{i\mathcal L x}}^{\text{konjug.}}}{ \frac{d}{dx}\big(\underbrace{Ae^{-i\mathcal L x}}_{\text{konjug.}}\big) Ae^{i\mathcal L x} - \frac{d}{dx} \left( Ae^{i\mathcal L x}\right) \underbrace{Ae^{-i\mathcal L x}}_{\text{konjug.}}}\Bigg|= \nonumber\\
&=\Bigg| \dfrac{i\mathcal L B e^{i\mathcal L x} B e^{-i \mathcal L x} - \left(- i\mathcal L B e^{-i \mathcal L x} Be^{i \mathcal L x}\right)}{-i \mathcal L A e^{-i\mathcal L x} Ae^{i \mathcal L x} - i \mathcal L A e^{i \mathcal L x}Ae^{-i \mathcal L x} } \Bigg| = \Bigg| \dfrac{i\mathcal L B^2 + i\mathcal L B^2}{-i \mathcal L A^2 - i \mathcal L A^2} \Bigg|=\Bigg|\dfrac{2 i \mathcal L B^2}{-2i\mathcal L A^2}\Bigg| = \frac{|B|^2}{|A|^2} = \nonumber\\
&=\frac{|\mathcal{K-L}|^2}{|\mathcal{K+L}|^2} = \frac{(\mathcal{L-K})^2}{(\mathcal{L+K})^2} \longrightarrow \boxed{R = \frac{(\mathcal{L-K})^2}{(\mathcal{L+K})^2}}
\end{align*}

Which expression is better the one with ##|~|## or with ##(~)##?

EDIT:
I allso did this for transmission coefficient and would need a confirmation on this one as well.

\begin{align}
T &= \dfrac{|j_{tr}|}{|j_{in}|} \!=\! \Bigg|\dfrac{\dfrac{\hbar }{2mi}\! \left( \dfrac{d\overline{\psi}_{tr1}}{dx}\, \psi_{tr1} - \dfrac{d \psi_{tr1}}{dx}\, \overline{\psi}_{tr1} \right)}{\dfrac{\hbar}{2mi} \!\left( \dfrac{d\overline{\psi}_{in}}{dx}\, \psi_{in} - \dfrac{d\psi_{in}}{dx}\, \overline{\psi}_{in} \right) }\Bigg|\!=\! \Bigg|\dfrac{\frac{d}{dx}\big(\overbrace{Ce^{-i\mathcal K x}}^{\text{konjug.}}\big) Ce^{i\mathcal K x} - \frac{d}{dx} \left( Ce^{i\mathcal K x}\right)\! \overbrace{Ce^{-i\mathcal K x}}^{\text{konjug.}}}{ \frac{d}{dx}\big(\underbrace{Ae^{-i\mathcal L x}}_{\text{konjug.}}\big) Ae^{i\mathcal L x} - \frac{d}{dx} \left( Ae^{i\mathcal L x}\right)\! \underbrace{Ae^{-i\mathcal L x}}_{\text{konjug.}}}\Bigg|\! = \nonumber\\
&=\Bigg|\dfrac{-i\mathcal K C e^{-i\mathcal K x} C e^{i \mathcal K x} - i\mathcal K C e^{i \mathcal K x} Ce^{-i \mathcal K x}}{-i \mathcal L A e^{-i\mathcal L x} Ae^{i \mathcal L x} - i \mathcal L A e^{i \mathcal L x}Ae^{-i \mathcal L x} }\Bigg|=\Bigg|\dfrac{-i\mathcal K C^2 - i\mathcal K C^2}{-i \mathcal L A^2 - i \mathcal L A^2}\Bigg|=\Bigg|\dfrac{-2 i \mathcal K C^2}{-2i\mathcal L A^2}\Bigg|= \frac{\mathcal K}{\mathcal L}\frac{|C|^2}{|A|^2} = \nonumber\\
&=\frac{\mathcal K}{\mathcal L}\frac{|2\mathcal{L}|^2}{|\mathcal{K+L}|^2} = \frac{\mathcal K}{\not{\mathcal L}}\frac{4\mathcal L^{\not{2}}}{(\mathcal{L+K})^2} \longrightarrow \boxed{T = \frac{4\mathcal L \mathcal K}{(\mathcal{L+K})^2}}
\end{align}

I hope these derivations will come handy to someone besides me.

Last edited:
You can only swap || with () if you are sure that the expressions within the || are real.

Fightfish said:
You can only swap || with () if you are sure that the expressions within the || are real.

Thank you for this note!

Related to Transmission and Reflection on a potential step

1. What is transmission and reflection?

Transmission and reflection are phenomena that occur when a wave encounters a boundary or change in medium. Transmission refers to the passage of the wave through the boundary, while reflection is the bouncing back of the wave.

2. What is a potential step?

A potential step is a sudden change in the potential energy of a particle or wave. It can be represented as a step function in a graph and can influence the behavior of a wave passing through it.

3. How does a potential step affect transmission and reflection?

A potential step can cause changes in the transmission and reflection coefficients, which represent the amount of wave energy that passes through or is reflected by the step. These coefficients are influenced by the height and width of the potential step, as well as the energy and wavelength of the wave.

4. What is the relationship between transmission and reflection coefficients?

The sum of the transmission and reflection coefficients is always equal to 1. This means that all of the wave energy is either transmitted or reflected when encountering a potential step. As one coefficient increases, the other must decrease.

5. How does the transmission and reflection of waves differ between classical and quantum mechanics?

In classical mechanics, waves are treated as continuous and can be fully transmitted or reflected by a potential step. In quantum mechanics, waves are treated as discrete particles and can exhibit behaviors such as tunneling, where a particle can pass through a potential step even if its energy is lower than the step's potential energy barrier.