Lorentz transformation and its Noether current

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of Noether current and the transformation of fields in the context of spinor fields. The result for the transformation of a scalar field is derived and it is noted that the transformation for spinor fields is different and involves a spin matrix. The conversation ends with the confirmation that the same result was obtained by both parties.
Ken Gallock
Hi.
I'd like to ask about the calculation of Noether current.
On page16 of David Tong's lecture note(http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/tong/qft.html), there is a topic about Noether current and Lorentz transformation.
I want to derive ##\delta \mathcal{L}##, but during my calculation, I encountered this:
\begin{align}
\delta \mathcal{L}&=\dfrac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial \phi}\delta \phi+\dfrac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial(\partial_\mu \phi)}\partial_\mu (\delta \phi)\\
&=\dfrac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial \phi}(-\omega^\rho_{~\sigma}x^\sigma \partial_\rho \phi)+
\dfrac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial(\partial_\mu \phi)}\partial_\mu
(-\omega^\rho_{~\sigma}x^\sigma \partial_\rho \phi).
\end{align}
The second term,
$$
\partial_\mu(-\omega^\rho_{~\sigma}x^\sigma \partial_\rho \phi)
$$
is a troubling term for me. Since there is ##x^\sigma## and ##\partial_\mu##, I thought I have to derivate ##x^\sigma## like ##\partial_\mu x^\sigma##. But if I do so, it doesn't match with the result in the textbook.
Am I supposed not to derivate ##x##? or am I missing something?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Exactly which equation are you trying to reproduce?

Orodruin said:
Exactly which equation are you trying to reproduce?
I want eq(1.53):
$$
\delta \mathcal{L}=-\omega^\mu_{~\nu}x^\nu\partial_\mu \mathcal{L}.
$$

Ken Gallock said:
I want eq(1.53):
$$
\delta \mathcal{L}=-\omega^\mu_{~\nu}x^\nu\partial_\mu \mathcal{L}.
$$
This is a direct consequence of the Lagrangian being a scalar field.

Orodruin said:
This is a direct consequence of the Lagrangian being a scalar field.
Is it different when I'm dealing with spinor fields?

Ken Gallock said:
Hi.
I'd like to ask about the calculation of Noether current.
But if I do so, it doesn't match with the result in the textbook.
Thanks.
You get the same result, if you differentiate and remember to use the fact that your field is a scalar and [itex]\omega_{\mu\nu} = -\omega_{\nu\mu}[/itex]:
[tex]-\delta \mathcal{L} = \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial \phi} \left(\omega^{\rho}{}_{\sigma} x^{\sigma} \ \partial_{\rho}\phi \right) + \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial (\partial_{\mu} \phi ) } \left( \omega^{\rho}{}_{\sigma}x^{\sigma} \ \partial_{\rho} \partial_{\mu} \phi + \partial^{\rho}\phi \ \omega_{\rho \mu}\right) .[/tex] Arrange the terms to get [tex]\delta \mathcal{L} = - \omega^{\rho}{}_{\sigma} x^{\sigma} \ \partial_{\rho}\mathcal{L} - \omega_{\rho \mu} \ \partial^{\rho} \phi \ \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial (\partial_{\mu}\phi )} .[/tex] Now, for a scalar field, you have [tex]\omega_{\rho \mu} \ \partial^{\rho} \phi \ \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial (\partial_{\mu}\phi )} \propto \omega_{\rho \mu} \ \partial^{\rho} \phi \ \partial^{\mu}\phi = 0 ,[/tex] because of the [itex]\omega_{\rho \mu} = - \omega_{\mu\rho}[/itex]. So, you are left with [tex]\delta \mathcal{L} = - \omega^{\rho}{}_{\sigma} x^{\sigma} \ \partial_{\rho}\mathcal{L} = - \omega^{\rho}{}_{\sigma} \ \partial_{\rho} \left( x^{\sigma} \mathcal{L}\right) .[/tex]

Is it different when I'm dealing with spinor fields?

The Lagrangian will still be scalar, but the transformation of the (spinor) field will no longer be [itex]\delta \psi = -\omega^{\mu}{}_{\nu}x^{\nu}\partial_{\mu}\psi .[/itex] You have to account for the spin of the field by including an appropriate spin matrix [itex]\Sigma[/itex]: [tex] \delta \psi_{a} = -\omega^{\mu}{}_{\nu}x^{\nu}\ \partial_{\mu}\psi_{a} + \omega_{\rho \sigma} (\Sigma^{\rho\sigma})_{a}{}^{c} \ \psi_{c} .[/tex]

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71
samalkhaiat said:
You get the same result, if you differentiate and remember to use the fact that your field is a scalar and [itex]\omega_{\mu\nu} = -\omega_{\nu\mu}[/itex]:
[tex]-\delta \mathcal{L} = \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial \phi} \left(\omega^{\rho}{}_{\sigma} x^{\sigma} \ \partial_{\rho}\phi \right) + \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial (\partial_{\mu} \phi ) } \left( \omega^{\rho}{}_{\sigma}x^{\sigma} \ \partial_{\rho} \partial_{\mu} \phi + \partial^{\rho}\phi \ \omega_{\rho \mu}\right) .[/tex] Arrange the terms to get [tex]\delta \mathcal{L} = - \omega^{\rho}{}_{\sigma} x^{\sigma} \ \partial_{\rho}\mathcal{L} - \omega_{\rho \mu} \ \partial^{\rho} \phi \ \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial (\partial_{\mu}\phi )} .[/tex] Now, for a scalar field, you have [tex]\omega_{\rho \mu} \ \partial^{\rho} \phi \ \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial (\partial_{\mu}\phi )} \propto \omega_{\rho \mu} \ \partial^{\rho} \phi \ \partial^{\mu}\phi = 0 ,[/tex] because of the [itex]\omega_{\rho \mu} = - \omega_{\mu\rho}[/itex]. So, you are left with [tex]\delta \mathcal{L} = - \omega^{\rho}{}_{\sigma} x^{\sigma} \ \partial_{\rho}\mathcal{L} = - \omega^{\rho}{}_{\sigma} \ \partial_{\rho} \left( x^{\sigma} \mathcal{L}\right) .[/tex]
The Lagrangian will still be scalar, but the transformation of the (spinor) field will no longer be [itex]\delta \psi = -\omega^{\mu}{}_{\nu}x^{\nu}\partial_{\mu}\psi .[/itex] You have to account for the spin of the field by including an appropriate spin matrix [itex]\Sigma[/itex]: [tex] \delta \psi_{a} = -\omega^{\mu}{}_{\nu}x^{\nu}\ \partial_{\mu}\psi_{a} + \omega_{\rho \sigma} (\Sigma^{\rho\sigma})_{a}{}^{c} \ \psi_{c} .[/tex]

Thanks!
I got the same result!

Related to Lorentz transformation and its Noether current

1. What is the Lorentz transformation?

The Lorentz transformation is a mathematical equation that describes how measurements of space and time change when an observer moves at a constant velocity relative to another observer. It is a fundamental concept in special relativity.

2. How does the Lorentz transformation affect objects in motion?

The Lorentz transformation affects the measurements of space and time for objects in motion, making them appear to be shorter in the direction of motion and experience time dilation. This is known as the Lorentz contraction and time dilation effects.

3. What is the Noether current in relation to the Lorentz transformation?

The Noether current is a mathematical concept that is closely related to the Lorentz transformation. It is a conserved quantity that describes the symmetry of physical laws under the Lorentz transformation. In other words, it represents the preservation of certain physical properties, such as energy and momentum, in different frames of reference.

4. How is the Lorentz transformation derived?

The Lorentz transformation is derived from the principles of special relativity, which state that the laws of physics should be the same for all observers in uniform motion. Using the postulates of special relativity, the Lorentz transformation can be mathematically derived and applied to various physical phenomena.

5. What are some real-life applications of the Lorentz transformation and Noether current?

The Lorentz transformation and Noether current have many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and cosmology. They are used to calculate the effects of relativity in GPS systems, particle accelerators, and nuclear reactions. They also play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of objects in extreme environments, such as black holes and the early universe.