Translation Operators: Raising & Lowering Equations

In summary: So the bracketed part is just a normal exponential?In summary, the bracketed part on the right-hand side of the equation is just a normal exponential.
dyn
α I have been studying translation operators of the type T = exp ( -ipx0/ hbar) where p is the momentum operator which leads to T+xT = x+x0. I am ok with that but then I came across the following equation concerning raising and lowering operators exp(-alpha a+) a exp(alpha a+) = a + alpha. Is this equation related to the translation operator or is it something different ?

Physics news on Phys.org
dyn said:
α I have been studying translation operators of the type T = exp ( -ipx0/ hbar) where p is the momentum operator which leads to T+xT = x+x0. I am ok with that but then I came across the following equation concerning raising and lowering operators exp(-alpha a+) a exp(alpha a+) = a + alpha. Is this equation related to the translation operator or is it something different ?

It involves similar math. Typically ##a, a^\dagger## are linear combinations of the x,p operators.

Likes bhobba
Is it a standard result like with the translation operator or would it need to be calculated ?

I guess you mean the annihilation and creation operators for phonons of a simple harmonic oscillator. Then you have
$$\hat{a}=\sqrt{\frac{m \omega}{2 \hbar}} \hat{x} + \frac{\mathrm{i}}{\sqrt{2m \omega \hbar}}\hat{p}.$$
Now just evaluate ##\hat{T}^{\dagger} \hat{a} \hat{T}## using the known commutation relations of this translation operator with ##\hat{x}## (given in your posting) and ##\hat{p}## (which is straight forward).

ħ Could someone please explain how the following result is obtained step by step. I have seen 2 explanations so far and I don't understand the steps involved.
<x-x0| exp( i p0 x / hbar) = exp( ip0(x-x0)/hbar) <x-x0| Thanks

dyn said:
Is it a standard result like with the translation operator or would it need to be calculated ?
All these sorts of formulas are (or can be derived) from "Baker-Campbell-Hausdorff" formula(s). Most textbooks on QM and symmetries usually discuss it.

dyn said:
ħ Could someone please explain how the following result is obtained step by step. I have seen 2 explanations so far and I don't understand the steps involved.
<x-x0| exp( i p0 x / hbar) = exp( ip0(x-x0)/hbar) <x-x0|

I have a policy of not putting much more effort into my answers than the questioner puts into his/her questions.

Try either posting a link to a derivation and saying which step(s) you don't follow. Better still, reproduce (in Latex) the key steps of the derivation you're having trouble with. You'll tend to get more more and better answers if you don't create unnecessary work for potential helpers.

Likes DrClaude and vanhees71
hi strangerep. If you don't want to answer my question that's up to you. I have a policy of only accepting help from people who wish to help me.

Thread closed temporarily for Moderation...

The thread is reopened. We remind all participants about the desire to create a helpful and friendly atmosphere and also the forum rules which require posters to demonstrate their own effort and require respondents to avoid giving complete solutions.

This wasn't a homework question. It only involves 2 or 3 steps which I don't understand. I can't demonstrate my effort because I don't understand how to do it !

dyn said:
<x-x0| exp( i p0 x / hbar) = exp( ip0(x-x0)/hbar) <x-x0| Thanks
My interpretation: on the left-hand side, x is an operator. This operator is acting to the left on a position eigenstate (in bra form). On the right-hand side, the operator x has been replaced by its eigenvalue x-x0, where x is now a number.

In general, a function of an operator, acting on an eigenstate of that operator, can be replaced with the same function of the corresponding eigenvalue.

It would be better notation to distinguish between an operator and an eigenvalue of that operator.

Likes dyn
Thank you Avodyne

when the exponential as a number is taken outside the bracket would it not have to complex conjugated as it is on the bra side ?

I have got it now.

Related to Translation Operators: Raising & Lowering Equations

1. What are translation operators?

Translation operators are mathematical tools used to shift or move equations up or down by a specific amount. They are commonly used in linear algebra and differential equations.

2. How do translation operators work?

Translation operators consist of two parts: a raising operator and a lowering operator. The raising operator shifts the equation up by a specified amount, while the lowering operator shifts the equation down by the same amount. These operators work by multiplying the equation by a constant value or adding/subtracting a constant value.

3. What is the purpose of translation operators?

The purpose of translation operators is to simplify equations and make them easier to solve. By shifting the equation up or down, we can change its form and potentially make it easier to manipulate or solve for a specific variable.

4. How are translation operators used in physics?

In physics, translation operators are used to describe the motion and position of objects. They are often used in classical mechanics and quantum mechanics to shift equations representing the position, momentum, and energy of particles.

5. What are some common examples of translation operators?

Some common examples of translation operators include the derivative and integral operators in calculus, as well as the creation and annihilation operators in quantum mechanics. These operators can be used to raise or lower equations by manipulating the variables within them.