Translation of Sartre's L'Etre et La Neant

• Thread starter z0rn dawg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Translation
In summary: I'll read more of Sartre and see if I get a better understanding.In summary, Sartre's belief or definition of existentialism differs from other philosophers'. However, the main difference is that Sartre emphasizes the importance of radical freedom.
z0rn dawg
I just started reading a translation of Sartre's L'Etre et La Neant (Being and Nothingness). I have to read it in order to full analyse Huis Clos (No Exit) also by Sartre. It's all for a ridiculous senior paper in English (HS).

Basically, from what I've read so far in Being and Nothingness, I really don't understand where Sartre's theory of existentialism differs from other philosophers' definitions.

So can anyone help me with Sartre's belief or definition of existentialism?

Physics news on Phys.org

z0rn dawg said:
I really don't understand where Sartre's theory of existentialism differs from other philosophers' definitions.

Which philosophers are you comparing? There are some pretty big differences.

So can anyone help me with Sartre's belief or definition of existentialism?

If you just want quick answers, reading his "Existentialism Is a Humanism" is a much better place to start.

Sartre observed that we posess 'radical freedom', that is, we have many more choices availible to us then we normally consider. Sartre emphasized that not being aware of our many choices, or procrastinating a choice, would be "acting in bad faith."

My favorite part is about nothingness in-itself, which Sartre describes with a short story about a man going to meet a friend at the tavern and taking a long walk down bar and passing face after face until arriving at the last seat at the end of the bar which was empty, no friend.

I agree that reading Sartre in high school is ridiculous!

I read works by Sartre and Camus in HS (including Huis clos). They were boring.

Werg22 said:
I read works by Sartre and Camus in HS (including Huis clos). They were boring.

I've read L'Etranger (The Stanger) and Huis Clos (No Exit) both in French. I've also read The Stranger in English. I don't find it that boring, but Being and Nothingness is sooooo long.
Plus, my teacher has a degree is philosophy, so I really can't BS my way through this.

To JoeDawg, I meant Sartre's definition or belief compared to the dictionary definition. My mistake.

Thanks for the answers guys.

Related to Translation of Sartre's L'Etre et La Neant

1. What is the main theme of Sartre's "L'Etre et La Neant"?

The main theme of "L'Etre et La Neant" is the concept of existentialism, which explores the nature of human existence and the individual's freedom and responsibility in creating their own existence.

2. How does Sartre define "Being" in the book?

Sartre defines "Being" as the totality of all things that exist, including both physical objects and abstract concepts. He argues that "Being" is fundamentally characterized by nothingness, as humans are conscious of their own existence and the possibility of non-existence.

3. What is Sartre's view on free will in "L'Etre et La Neant"?

Sartre argues that humans have complete freedom to choose their actions and create their own existence, but this freedom also comes with the burden of responsibility for one's choices and their consequences. He rejects the idea of pre-determined fate or external forces controlling human actions.

4. What is the role of consciousness in Sartre's philosophy?

Consciousness is a central concept in Sartre's philosophy, as he believes that it is what defines human existence. He argues that consciousness is characterized by self-awareness and the ability to reflect on one's own existence, which gives humans the power to shape their own lives and create meaning in a seemingly meaningless world.

5. How does Sartre's existentialism differ from other philosophical theories?

Sartre's existentialism differs from other philosophical theories in its focus on the individual's subjective experience and the importance of free will in creating one's own existence. He also rejects the idea of a fixed human nature and instead emphasizes the uniqueness and freedom of each individual to define themselves.