Translating into first order predicate expressions

In summary, we have been given four statements about the predicates of the domain of real numbers: (i) At least one integer is even, (ii) There exists a positive integer that is even, (iii) If x is even then x is not exactly divisible by 5, and (iv) There exists an even integer exactly divisible by 5. After analyzing each statement, we can conclude that they are all true because they align with the given predicates and the properties of integers in the domain of real numbers.
Id1emind

Homework Statement

I have been given the following predicates of the domain of real numbers

Homework Equations

P(x): x>0 E(x): x is even D(x): x is exactly divisable by 5

(i) At least one integer is even
(ii) There exists a positive integer that is even
(iii) If x is even then x is not exactly divisible by 5
(iv) There exists an even integer exactly divisable by 5

The Attempt at a Solution

(i) Ax(E(x))
(ii) Ex(P(x) ^ E(x))
(iii) Ax(P(x) ¬ D(x))
(iv) Ax(P(x) U D(x))

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I am not sure if the above is correct.

Many Thanks
Steve

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear Steve,

Your attempt at a solution is correct. Let me explain in more detail why each statement is true:

(i) Ax(E(x)) - This statement means "For all x, x is even." Since we are dealing with the domain of real numbers, there will always be at least one integer that is even, so this statement is true.

(ii) Ex(P(x) ^ E(x)) - This statement means "There exists an x such that x is positive and even." Since we know that there are positive integers and even integers, there will always be a positive even integer in the domain of real numbers, making this statement true.

(iii) Ax(P(x) ¬ D(x)) - This statement means "For all x, if x is even, then x is not exactly divisible by 5." Since we are given the predicate D(x), which means "x is exactly divisible by 5," we know that if x is even, it cannot also be exactly divisible by 5. Therefore, this statement is true.

(iv) Ax(P(x) U D(x)) - This statement means "For all x, x is even or x is exactly divisible by 5." Since we are given the predicates P(x) and D(x), which both deal with integers, we know that there will always be an even integer that is also exactly divisible by 5. Therefore, this statement is true.

I hope this helps clarify your understanding of these statements.

(Scientist)

Related to Translating into first order predicate expressions

1. What is "translating into first order predicate expressions"?

Translating into first order predicate expressions is the process of converting natural language statements into a logical formal language, specifically first order predicate logic. This allows for a more precise and structured representation of the information contained in the statement.

2. Why is it important to translate into first order predicate expressions?

Translating into first order predicate expressions is important because it allows for logical reasoning and analysis to be applied to the information contained in a statement. It also helps to avoid ambiguity and clarify the meaning of the statement.

3. What are the steps involved in translating into first order predicate expressions?

The steps for translating into first order predicate expressions include identifying the subject and predicate of the statement, determining the logical connectives and quantifiers, and creating a logical form using symbols and variables to represent the components of the statement.

4. What are some common challenges when translating into first order predicate expressions?

Some common challenges when translating into first order predicate expressions include identifying the correct quantifiers and logical connectives, dealing with ambiguity in the original statement, and correctly representing complex relationships between the subject and predicate.

5. How is translating into first order predicate expressions used in different fields of science?

Translating into first order predicate expressions is used in various fields of science, such as computer science, mathematics, and linguistics. It is particularly useful in formalizing and analyzing logical arguments and in developing formal languages for communication in these fields.