Transition matrix and rational canonical form

I was supposed to summarize the conversation. Here is the summary:In summary, the conversation discusses finding the transition matrix for the rational canonical form of a given matrix. The eigenvalues and eigenvectors are found, and the rational canonical form is determined. However, there is an issue with the transition matrix, and the person is seeking help in understanding where they went wrong.
Artusartos

Homework Statement

I want to find the transition matrix for the rational canonical form of the matrix A below.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Let ##A## be the 3x3 matrix

##\begin{bmatrix} 3 & 4 & 0 \\-1 & -3 & -2 \\ 1 & 2 & 1 \end{bmatrix}##

The characterisitc and minimal polynomials are both ##(x-1)^2(x+1)##

The eigenspace for 1 is
##\{ \begin{bmatrix} 2 \\-1 \\ 1 \end{bmatrix} \}##

The eigenspace for -1 is:
##\{ \begin{bmatrix} 2 \\-2 \\ 1 \end{bmatrix} \}##

The rational canonical form ##R## is:

##\begin{bmatrix} -1 & 0 & 0 \\0 & 0 & -1 \\ 0 & 1 & 2 \end{bmatrix}##

I want to find the transition matrix ##P## such that ##A=PRP^{-1}##

I thought we had to find 3 independent vectors...one from the eignspace of 1, another from the eigenspace of -1, and then any other third vector such that the three would be linearly independent. So I chose P to be:

##\begin{bmatrix} 2 & 2 & 1 \\-2 & -1 & 0 \\ 1 & 1 & 0 \end{bmatrix}##

But when I multiplied ##PRP^{-1}##, I did not get ##A##...I'm not sure why.

I would appreciate it if anybody could tell me where I went wrong and how I can fix it.

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi!

edit: sorry, I misread

Related to Transition matrix and rational canonical form

1. What is a transition matrix?

A transition matrix is a matrix that represents a linear transformation between two vector spaces. It is used to describe how the basis of one vector space changes when a linear transformation is applied.

2. How is a transition matrix related to rational canonical form?

Rational canonical form is a matrix representation of a linear transformation in which the matrix is in its simplest form. The transition matrix is used to bring a given matrix into its rational canonical form.

3. What is the purpose of using rational canonical form?

The rational canonical form allows for a compact representation of a linear transformation, making it easier to understand and analyze its properties. It also helps in solving problems related to the linear transformation, such as finding eigenvalues and eigenvectors.

4. Can any matrix be transformed into its rational canonical form?

No, not every matrix can be transformed into its rational canonical form. Only square matrices over a field can be transformed into their rational canonical form.

5. How is the rational canonical form calculated?

The rational canonical form is calculated by finding the minimal polynomial and characteristic polynomial of the given matrix. These polynomials are then used to construct a matrix that is similar to the given matrix and in its rational canonical form.