Transient thermal problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a system consisting of a box mounted to a plate in a vacuum. The plate is initially at a steady state temperature and then begins cooling at a rate of 3 C/min. The box also cools at a certain rate and has a time constant. The speaker has placed a thermocouple on the box to measure its response. The question is whether it is possible to use the previous results to estimate the box's response for a new profile where the plate cools at a rate of 4 C/min. However, there are some uncertainties and missing information, such as the dimensions, assumptions, and direction of heat flow between the plate and the box.
drewbagel423
Let's say I have a box, mounted to a plate in a vacuum (pure conduction). The system is initially at a steady state at temperature Ti. The plate then begins cooling at a rate of 3 C/min. The box is going to cool at some rate, and with some time constant. For this test, I have place a thermocouple on the box, so I can measure its response.

Now I want to run it again such that the plate cools at a rate of 4 C/min. Is it possible to use the previous results to estimate the box's response for this new profile? If so, how could I go about doing it?

TIA

Engineering news on Phys.org
vacuum does not necessarily mean conduction since there is also radiation. Your problem is rather ill defined. What are the dimensions, assumptions, why does the plate begins cooling?
I cannot make up from you description if heat is going from the plate to the box or vise-versa

Related to Transient thermal problem

What is a transient thermal problem?

A transient thermal problem refers to a situation where there is a time-dependent change in temperature distribution within a system or material. This can occur due to thermal events such as heating or cooling, or changes in the environment.

What causes transient thermal problems?

Transient thermal problems can be caused by a variety of factors, including changes in external temperature, heat transfer through conduction, convection or radiation, and internal heat generation due to chemical reactions or mechanical processes.

What are the methods used to solve transient thermal problems?

There are several methods used to solve transient thermal problems, including analytical solutions, numerical methods such as finite difference or finite element analysis, and experimental techniques such as thermal imaging or thermocouple measurements.

How are transient thermal problems important in practical applications?

Transient thermal problems play a crucial role in many practical applications, such as heat transfer in industrial processes, thermal management in electronic devices, and the design of thermal insulation systems. Understanding and solving these problems is essential for optimizing performance and ensuring safety and efficiency in various systems.

What are the challenges in solving transient thermal problems?

Solving transient thermal problems can be challenging due to the complex nature of heat transfer and the time-dependent changes in temperature distribution. This requires advanced mathematical and computational techniques, as well as accurate modeling of boundary conditions and material properties.