Transient Tank Filling Problem (Related Rates?)

In summary, students were tasked with analyzing a tank and water supply system, determining the effects of a shut-off valve and the steady-state values for water depth and time required for achieving steady state. Through the use of equations for volumetric flow and continuity, it was found that the tank would drain when the valve is opened and the steady-state water depth would be 0.9m. To determine the time required for achieving steady state, an iterative process was used and a value of approximately 48.83 minutes was found. However, it was noted that the tank would continue to drain indefinitely, so a specific percentage of volume drained would need to be determined in order to call it "steady state."
sowinski

Homework Statement

"Consider the tank and water supply system as shown in the figure below. The diameter
of the supply pipe, D1 = 20 mm, and the average velocity leaving the supply pipe is
V1 = 0.595 m/s. A shut-off valve is located at z = 0.1 m, and the exit pipe, D2 = 10 mm.
The tank diameter is Dt = 0.3 m. The density of the water is uniform at 998 kg/m3."

"At the instant the water level reaches H0 = 1 m the shut-off valve is opened. The
instantaneous average velocity of the outflow depends on the water depth above z
and can be expressed by, V2=0.85*sqrt(g*[H(t)-z]) where g is the acceleration due to
gravity. Determine whether the tank continues to fill or begins to empty immediately
after the valve is opened." (Found that it will drain when valve opens)

Determine the steady-state value of the water depth.
(found to be 0.9m)

Determine the time required to achieve steady state after the valve is opened.
(This is where I'm getting stuck)

Homework Equations

definition of volumetric flow
V_dot=Area*Velocity

continuity for incompressible flow:
V_dot_in-V_dot_out=dV/dt

relationship between tank volume and water level
V=pi*(d/2)^2*H

The Attempt at a Solution

V_dot_in-V_dot_out=dV/dt

V_dot_in=pi*(d1/2)^2*v1=1.869e-4 m^3/s

V_dot_out=A2*v2=7.854e-5*v2

substituting into continuity equation...
(1.869e-4)-(7.854e-5)(0.85)sqrt(9.81(H(t)-0.1))=dV/dt

now using the relationship between V and H...

(1.869e-4)-(7.854e-5)(0.85)sqrt{9.81[(4*V/0.09*pi)-0.1]}=dV/dt

now simplifying

(1.869e-4)-(6.676e-5)sqrt(139V-0.98)=dV/dt

now I believe I need to move the dt to the other side and move V terms to the RHS
with dV then integrate and solve for t... but I'm not sure how to split everything up

Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe I can help out. Hopefully I got it right though.

I had similar results up to this equation and then we diverged:

(1.869e-4)-(7.854e-5)(0.85)sqrt(9.81(H(t)-0.1))=dV/dt

Here's what I did:

dV/dt = v_t*A_t

where v_t is the velocity of decreasing water level in the tank and A_t is the area for the tank.

v_t = dH/dt

dV/dt = v_t*A_t => dV/dt = (dH*A_t)/dt

starting with your equation at the top and using the relationship immediately above:

(1.869e-4)-(7.854e-5)(0.85)sqrt(9.81(H(t)-0.1))=(dH*A_t)/dt

rearrange and we get:

dt=A_t*dH/((1.869e-4)-(7.854e-5)(0.85)sqrt(9.81(H(t)-0.1)))

Integrate both sides: the left side from t=0 to t and the right side from H=0.9 to H=1.0.

My answer was 2930 seconds or 48.83 minutes.

Hope I helped and didn't make things worse.

Thanks for the response, that's pretty much what I got. I ended up also working this iteratively in Excel with similar results which seems to confirm my analytic solution. Though it turns out that the steady state water level is not exactly 0.9m and that the tank drains infinitely long- so it's just a matter of deciding when you want to call it good, 99% volume drained? 99.9%?...

Related to Transient Tank Filling Problem (Related Rates?)

What is the "Transient Tank Filling Problem"?

The Transient Tank Filling Problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the rate at which a tank is being filled or emptied over time. It is commonly used in the study of related rates, which is a branch of calculus that deals with the rates of change between multiple variables.

How is the Transient Tank Filling Problem related to calculus?

The Transient Tank Filling Problem is a specific example of a related rates problem, which is a common application of calculus. It involves using the principles of derivatives and rates of change to determine the rate at which a tank is filling or emptying over time.

What are the key steps in solving the Transient Tank Filling Problem?

The key steps in solving the Transient Tank Filling Problem include defining the variables, setting up a mathematical equation, taking the derivative with respect to time, plugging in known values, and solving for the desired rate of change. It is important to carefully label and track the units of measurement throughout the problem.

What are some real-world applications of the Transient Tank Filling Problem?

The Transient Tank Filling Problem has many real-world applications, such as determining the rate of water flow in a water tank, the rate of fuel consumption in a car, or the rate of medication delivery through an IV drip. It can also be used in engineering and industrial processes to optimize tank filling and emptying rates.

How can I improve my problem-solving skills for the Transient Tank Filling Problem?

To improve your problem-solving skills for the Transient Tank Filling Problem and related rates problems, it is important to practice solving a variety of problems and to understand the underlying principles and equations involved. It can also be helpful to work with a tutor or study group, and to seek out additional resources such as textbooks and online tutorials.