Transforming Tensor Components with Coordinate Systems

In summary, the components of the tensor Ai j are A1 2 = A2 1 = A, with all other components being zero. The task is to find A(BAR)i j after a transformation to a new coordinate system, where ∂q(BAR)k/∂qn = Rnk. The solution is \bar{A}ij = RilRjmAlm, taking into account that Axy = Ayx = A.
peripatein
Hi,

Homework Statement

The components of the tensor Ai j are A1 2 = A2 1 = A, whereas all the other components are zero. I am asked to write A(BAR)i j, following a transformation to a new coordinate system, given that ∂q(BAR)k/∂qn = Rnk. I am expected to write my answer in terms of R.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that A(BAR)i j = ∂q(BAR)i/∂qm * ∂q(BAR)j/∂qn * Am n
But how may I proceed?

Physics news on Phys.org
I am wondering why no one has yet replied to this question.
Nevertheless, if anyone is reading this, I'd appreciate some help with this.
I happen to know that the answer is:
[itex]\bar{A}[/itex]ij = RilRjmAlm, but how may I bring under account the fact that Axy = Ayx = A?

Related to Transforming Tensor Components with Coordinate Systems

1. What are the components of a tensor?

The components of a tensor are numerical values that represent the magnitude and direction of the tensor's vector. They are typically expressed as a matrix of numbers in a specific coordinate system.

2. How many components does a tensor have?

The number of components in a tensor depends on the number of dimensions of the vector space it operates on. For example, a 3-dimensional tensor will have 3 rows and 3 columns, resulting in 9 components.

3. What is the relationship between the components of a tensor and its transformation properties?

The components of a tensor represent how the tensor transforms when the coordinate system is changed. They follow specific transformation rules, such as the Law of Transformation, which govern how the components change under a given transformation.

4. Can the components of a tensor be negative or complex numbers?

Yes, the components of a tensor can be negative or complex numbers. This is because tensors can operate on vector spaces that contain negative or complex numbers, and the components must accurately represent the magnitude and direction of the vector in that space.

5. How do you calculate the components of a tensor?

The components of a tensor can be calculated using various methods, such as the Einstein notation or the matrix notation. The specific method used will depend on the type of tensor and the operations being performed on it.