Transformation of Coordinate Systems

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a one-to-one mapping from the first quadrant of the xy-plane to the first quadrant of the uv-plane, specifically mapping a region to a rectangle. The suggested solution is (u,v) = f(x,y) = (y/x^2, xy), which was found through trial and error. The hint suggests using the xy-axis, u-axis, or v-axis to represent the dimensions of the rectangle. Further discussion involves manipulating the first inequality to find an algebraic expression that goes from one integer to another.
minderbinder

Homework Statement

Find a one-to-one C1 mapping [tex]f[/tex] from the first quadrant of the xy-plane to the first quadrant of the uv-plane such that the region where [tex]x^2 \leq y \leq 2x^2[/tex] and [tex]1 \leq xy \leq 3[/tex] is mapped to a rectangle. Compute the Jacobian det Df and the inverse mapping [tex]f^{-1}[/tex].

The hint for the question states: Map all the regions where [tex]ax^2 \leq y \leq bx^2[/tex] and [tex]c \leq xy \leq d[/tex] to rectangles.

Homework Equations

I'm a little confused on what they mean by map to a rectangle.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm at a loss of where to begin...

Physics news on Phys.org
Thought about this some more, and I think the solution should be:

(u, v) = f(x, y) = ([tex] \frac{y}{x^2}[/tex], xy)

I checked some coordinates and it appears to work. However, I got this solution through trial and error. Can someone point out to me a way to find the solution in a systematic way?

let's start with the second inequality. xy goes from 1 to 3. this forms one dimension of a rectangle - along the xy-axis. but instead of using an xy-axis, you could use a u-axis or v-axis, if you let u or v equal to xy. Hint hint.

now for the first inequality, if y goes from x^2 and 2x^2, is there a way to manipulate this so that the value of *some algebraic expression* goes from one integer to another? kinda like xy above?

Related to Transformation of Coordinate Systems

1. What is the purpose of transforming coordinate systems?

The purpose of transforming coordinate systems is to convert points from one system to another, allowing for easier comparison and analysis of data. It also allows for the use of different coordinate systems for different purposes, such as using a Cartesian system for graphing and a spherical system for navigation.

2. What are the different types of coordinate systems?

The two main types of coordinate systems are Cartesian (or rectangular) and polar (or spherical). Cartesian coordinates use x, y, and z axes to define a point in 3D space, while polar coordinates use a radius and angle to define a point in 2D or 3D space.

3. How do you transform coordinates between different systems?

To transform coordinates, you can use mathematical equations or algorithms specific to the type of transformation needed. For example, to transform from Cartesian to polar coordinates, you can use the equations r = √(x^2 + y^2) and θ = arctan(y/x).

4. Can coordinates be transformed between different dimensions?

Yes, coordinates can be transformed between different dimensions. For example, 2D Cartesian coordinates can be transformed into 3D Cartesian coordinates by adding a z-axis, or 3D Cartesian coordinates can be transformed into 2D polar coordinates by ignoring the z-axis.

5. What are some applications of coordinate system transformations?

Coordinate system transformations have many applications, including mapping and navigation, engineering and construction, and computer graphics and animation. They are also used in various scientific fields, such as astronomy and geology, to analyze and visualize data in different coordinate systems.