Transferring to College: EE Advice for UH Manoa Junior

• Thread starter Niznar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ee
In summary: Also, talk to your professors and see where they got their degrees and if they have any recommendations.In summary, the individual is considering transferring from the University of Hawaii at Manoa to another school for their junior year. They have a decent GPA of 3.57 and are interested in VLSI Design and Processor Architecture. They are considering various schools, including University of Michigan, University of Illinois - Urbana-Champaign, and Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. They are also interested in graduate school and have a dream career of developing processors for companies like AMD, Intel or Nvidia. They are seeking advice on when is a good time to attend graduate school and where to find other good schools for EE programs. Suggestions include
Niznar
Aloha!

I'm entering my Junior year at the University of Hawaii at Manoa and I'm considering transferring to another school. When I applied to college I never really considered schools too carefully and ultimately settled at UH, my fall back. It's a decent school, and we have some amazing professors, but I still would like to leave home.

Right now my GPA is alright, I have a 3.57. I'm looking to transfer to another school but I'm not sure where to look and where I'd have a decent shot. Right now I'm considering University of Michigan, University of Illinois - Urbana-Champaign, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, and a handful of other institutions.

My focus is in VLSI Design and Processor Architecture.

Any advice you fellas can offer? Cheers!

Physics news on Phys.org
Niznar said:
Aloha!

I'm entering my Junior year at the University of Hawaii at Manoa and I'm considering transferring to another school. When I applied to college I never really considered schools too carefully and ultimately settled at UH, my fall back. It's a decent school, and we have some amazing professors, but I still would like to leave home.

Right now my GPA is alright, I have a 3.57. I'm looking to transfer to another school but I'm not sure where to look and where I'd have a decent shot. Right now I'm considering University of Michigan, University of Illinois - Urbana-Champaign, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, and a handful of other institutions.

My focus is in VLSI Design and Processor Architecture.

Any advice you fellas can offer? Cheers!

The schools that you mention are all good ones. Go to somewhere that fits what you perceive as your needs.

You might consider finishing up a UH and then going elsewhere for graduate school.

My biggest focus is the quality and quantity of VLSI and VLSI-related courses, as well as opportunities to work under professors on research projects, as well as finding a school that I can actually get accepted to :P

I've been considering finishing and then going to grad school on the mainland, and I realize that's probably the most likely outcome here, but I'd still like to try and finish my undergrad degree elsewhere.

Although so long as I'm here, in addition to my OP, I'm curious how you folks feel about when is a good time to go to grad school. I'm planning to get into the workforce for a couple of years before I pursue my Masters and (ideally) PhD, just so I have some real world experience. Ultimately, my dream career would be developing processors, ideally for AMD, Intel or Nvidia.

Niznar said:
My biggest focus is the quality and quantity of VLSI and VLSI-related courses, as well as opportunities to work under professors on research projects, as well as finding a school that I can actually get accepted to :P

I've been considering finishing and then going to grad school on the mainland, and I realize that's probably the most likely outcome here, but I'd still like to try and finish my undergrad degree elsewhere.

Although so long as I'm here, in addition to my OP, I'm curious how you folks feel about when is a good time to go to grad school. I'm planning to get into the workforce for a couple of years before I pursue my Masters and (ideally) PhD, just so I have some real world experience. Ultimately, my dream career would be developing processors, ideally for AMD, Intel or Nvidia.

My personal recommendation is to continue in school until you are ready to leave for good. While it has been done successfully it is difficult to leave a full-time job and go back to school -- you forget how to live on no money.

Haha, fair enough, and your advice is greatly appreciated!

Is there any good resource for finding other good schools to look at for EE programs?

Niznar said:
Haha, fair enough, and your advice is greatly appreciated!

Is there any good resource for finding other good schools to look at for EE programs?

Look in the IEEE journals for articles in your area of interest and see who is doing the leading research.

Related to Transferring to College: EE Advice for UH Manoa Junior

1. What is the process for transferring to UH Manoa as a junior?

The process for transferring to UH Manoa as a junior includes submitting an application, providing official transcripts from all previous colleges attended, and meeting minimum GPA requirements. Additionally, some majors may have specific requirements or pre-requisite courses that must be completed before transferring.

2. What are the benefits of transferring to UH Manoa as a junior?

Transferring to UH Manoa as a junior allows students to complete their four-year degree in a shorter amount of time, as they can transfer their previous college credits. It also allows for a change in environment and the opportunity to explore new academic and extracurricular opportunities at UH Manoa.

3. Can I transfer to UH Manoa as a junior if I am an international student?

Yes, UH Manoa accepts international transfer students. However, international students may have additional requirements, such as submitting English proficiency test scores and obtaining a student visa. It is important to check with the admissions office for specific guidelines.

4. How do I know if my credits will transfer to UH Manoa?

UH Manoa has a Transfer Credit Database that allows students to search for courses from other universities and see how they will transfer to UH Manoa. It is important to note that some courses may not transfer as an exact equivalent and may be counted as elective credits.

5. Are there any resources available for transfer students at UH Manoa?

Yes, UH Manoa offers resources specifically for transfer students, such as orientation programs, academic advising, and transfer student organizations. There are also resources available for financial aid and scholarships for transfer students. It is recommended to reach out to the Transfer Student Services office for more information and support.