Transferring to another university ( engineering)

In summary, the conversation is about transferring from Ottawa University to Waterloo or University of Toronto and how transfer credits work. The person is concerned about having to repeat first year at the new university and is seeking advice. They are also discussing the importance of university brand names and the accreditation of schools. The conversation ends with the person mentioning they are heading to Carleton University in the coming term.
Cudi1
Hi i will be attending Ottawa university in the fall and would like to transfer out to waterloo or u of t, how does the transfer credits work i don't want to start from 1st year again , secondly i know waterloo/ u of t are rigorous programs, so do you think they would make me repeat at least 1 term of first year? I don't want to repeat 1st year at all , i'd rather just finish it at ottawa, any input

Physics news on Phys.org
You should check the schools websites. I know for Queens you must have more than half of the credits a Queens student must have in engineering to transfer.

i checked it out, it only says they allow exemptions if the courses are similar, is the switch worth it from ottawa to waterloo and repeating half the 2nd term, given that i finish a full term at ottawa

any1?

Unless anyone here works as a counsellor or advisor for either one of those universities, I doubt anyone can really help you over here. None of us really know the course you took and how they match up with the other programs. What you need to do is with the help of your advisors, get in touch with the university you plan to transfer to and ask them what steps you need to take.

I don't really understand why you would want to transfer at all, or why you are starting at uottawa if you don't want to finish there.

I can't believe people are still sold on the brand name of a university. From the people who have masters degrees, they've been telling me that it does not matter at all where you get your bachelor's. Any school will be good. Graduate school is where it's at.

ye that's what i said , and i know its easier to stay once I am in, it doesn't matter know and i know that if it is accredited then the school should have the same curriculum as any other uni

Cudi1 said:
ye that's what i said , and i know its easier to stay once I am in, it doesn't matter know and i know that if it is accredited then the school should have the same curriculum as any other uni

By the way, what school do you go to? I'm also in the ottawa area. You sound like someone i know.

doubt it, I am heading there for the coming term and its to carleton U

Related to Transferring to another university ( engineering)

1. How do I know if transferring to another university for engineering is the right decision for me?

Deciding to transfer to another university for engineering can be a big decision. It is important to consider factors such as the curriculum, faculty, location, and resources of the new university. You may also want to reach out to current students or alumni of the university to get a better understanding of their experiences. Ultimately, it is important to carefully weigh the pros and cons and determine if the new university will better align with your academic and career goals.

2. What are the most important things to consider when choosing a university for engineering?

When choosing a university for engineering, it is important to consider the program's accreditation, faculty expertise, research opportunities, internship and co-op opportunities, and overall reputation. It is also important to consider the location, campus culture, and resources available to support your academic and personal growth.

3. Will my credits transfer to the new university?

The transferability of credits varies between universities, so it is important to research the transfer policies of the new university. Generally, credits from accredited universities will transfer, but it is important to check with the new university's admissions office to determine which credits will transfer and how they will apply to your new degree program.

4. What steps do I need to take to transfer to another university for engineering?

The first step is to research and compare different universities to determine which one is the best fit for you. Once you have made a decision, you will need to submit an application and provide transcripts, test scores, and other required documents. You may also need to write a personal statement or essay explaining your reasons for transferring. It is important to follow the specific application instructions and deadlines provided by the new university.

5. Will transferring to another university for engineering affect my graduation timeline?

Transferring to another university for engineering may affect your graduation timeline, as some credits may not transfer or may not apply to your new degree program. It is important to work closely with an academic advisor at the new university to create a plan that maximizes your previously earned credits and ensures timely graduation. Additionally, participating in internships or co-op programs can help you gain valuable experience and stay on track for graduation.