Transfering into Physics Program : Approach to Electives

In summary, the individual is a college junior transferring into a physics program with a diverse background in various subjects. They are currently enrolled in classes for the physics program, but also considering taking additional courses to make themselves more employable in case they are unable to pursue a PhD in astrophysics.
DavisonH
Classes begin in 11 days.

Currently, I am a college Junior, transferring into a Physics program with no true background other than Calculus 1 and 2 taught at a community college hastily in a period of eight weeks, through which I understood the material, but struggled through because it was rushed. I received an Associate’s Degree in Information Technology, with the subjects of the classes I took spread out into various areas

I did per-advisement today and will, so far, be taking ordinary differential equations, principles of physics, physics lab, and stellar and galactic astronomy. Although, I hope to change the differential equation class to linear algebra, while I review integration in my free time so that I can comfortably enter a DQ class. I completed all electives at the community college, and the other classes I take, aside those purely for the Physics program (none of which are Atronomy). So the classes falling outside the requirements of the Physics degree do not count as electives, and not towards anything I still require, taken purely for their academic worth. I’m not sure if the community classes I have taken count as a proper ‘science’ background for an employer simply due to having been taught at a community college. The science classes I have taken, many of which count as elective, were: Biology 1 and 2, Chemistry 1 and 2, Microbiology and Sociology. Others were Sociology, and many history classes. I have withdrawn from three glasses, taken after my Associates –where I still had no plan- , but as it was a withdrawal due to medical reasons, they do not directly count against me.

A slight problem is that I have also taken many classes purely out of interest without an actual plan. So any further class outside of the degree requirements will not even count as electives. The required classes I am currently taking up 7 credit hours. I require at least 15 credit hours for the state-wide program which pays 80% of the tuition, without which I cannot pay for the first semester. I’ve been enamored too long with the naïve, romantic ideal that if I will work hard, I will successfully receive a PhD in Astrophysics. I know that’s not true, and University begins in 11 days.

What extra courses should I take while exploring possible future career options while pursuing a Physics degree so that I will be employable by the end should I fail to enter graduate school for astrophysics in either the U.S or Germany?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It sounds like you are well-rounded in terms of your background and have a good base of knowledge in the sciences. You could consider taking additional courses that would be helpful for any type of job, such as computer programming, economics, finance, accounting, statistics, or data science. These types of classes will give you an edge in any field and will help to make you more employable. Additionally, you may want to consider taking classes related to the field of astrophysics, such as astrophysical cosmology, observational astronomy, or astrobiology. These classes will give you a better understanding of the field and may provide you with useful insight into research and other opportunities available to you.

Related to Transfering into Physics Program : Approach to Electives

What is the process for transferring into a physics program?

The process for transferring into a physics program varies depending on the specific university or college. However, in general, you will need to apply for admission to the program and meet the requirements set by the institution. These requirements may include a certain GPA, completion of prerequisite courses, and submission of transcripts and letters of recommendation. It is important to research the specific requirements for the program you are interested in transferring to and contact the admissions office for more information.

What are the required electives for a physics program?

The required electives for a physics program also vary depending on the institution. Typically, there will be a set of core courses that all students in the program must take, and then a selection of electives that students can choose from. These electives may include courses in specific subfields of physics, such as astrophysics or quantum mechanics, or they may be more general science or math courses. It is important to review the program curriculum and consult with an academic advisor to determine which electives are required for graduation.

Can I transfer credits from other institutions for my electives?

Yes, many universities and colleges will accept transfer credits for electives. However, it is important to note that the institution may have specific guidelines for transferring credits, such as a maximum number of credits that can be transferred or a minimum grade requirement. It is best to consult with the admissions office or an academic advisor to determine if your credits will transfer and how they may count towards your electives.

What is the best approach to choosing electives for a physics program?

The best approach to choosing electives for a physics program is to first consider your academic and career goals. If you have a specific subfield of physics that you are interested in, such as astrophysics or biophysics, you may want to choose electives that align with that interest. You should also consider your strengths and weaknesses in different subject areas and choose electives that will challenge you, but also allow you to succeed. Finally, it is always helpful to consult with an academic advisor to ensure that your elective choices will meet the requirements for graduation.

Are there any opportunities for research or internships within the physics program?

Many physics programs offer opportunities for research or internships as part of the curriculum. These opportunities allow students to gain hands-on experience in the field and apply what they have learned in the classroom. Some institutions may also have partnerships with local companies or research institutions that offer internships specifically for physics students. It is important to research the opportunities available at the institution you are interested in transferring to and speak with an academic advisor about how to get involved in research or internships.