Transfering in the fall, but cant register and classes filled

In summary, for transfer students in need of engineering classes, it can be a challenge to register for them due to limited availability. Some suggestions include attending classes and asking the professor if any spots have opened up, having a friend "reserve" a spot for you until you can officially enroll, talking to an advisor about potential options for hardship, or even trying to do a force request with the department. It is important to stay on top of the process and to communicate with the necessary offices to find a solution.
frozenguy
What do they expect transfer students to do?! I'm transferring as a junior and need engineering classes but they are basically all filled up. I can't register until orientation and I'm signed up for the first one which is in early July.

Physics news on Phys.org
frozenguy said:
What do they expect transfer students to do?! I'm transferring as a junior and need engineering classes but they are basically all filled up. I can't register until orientation and I'm signed up for the first one which is in early July.

1. Go to the classes anyway, never missing one. Ask the prof each day if anyone has dropped. Once a student has dropped, get his/her permission to add the class (the form will usually require a signature from the instructor if it's past the add/drop deadline)*.

2. This isn't the most ethical thing to do, but it's often done: If you have a friend at the university who can enroll now, get him/her to sign up for the class now, "reserving" it for you until you can enroll in July. Then he/she can drop and you can add it right after, before anyone else snatches it up.

*My Better Half (MBH) is teaching calculus at a local university this quarter; because of budget cuts, many class sections have been cut, leaving intense competition for the remaining sections. The seats fill up very, very quickly, and not everyone who needs the class can get in. However, one student faithfully attended each and every lecture this quarter, and even took the midterm; fortunately, after the midterm, a few students dropped the class and she was finally able to officially enroll in it.

Geezer said:
2. This isn't the most ethical thing to do, but it's often done: If you have a friend at the university who can enroll now, get him/her to sign up for the class now, "reserving" it for you until you can enroll in July. Then he/she can drop and you can add it right after, before anyone else snatches it up.

Don't most universities use first-come, first-serve waitlists?

Have you talked to an advisor at your school? There's usually different policies to address hardship in scheduling classes for your situation.

I don't know how it is at your uni., but at mine you can do a force request with the department where you might be able to get placed into a filled class.

Bribe a student there to save a spot for you

Geezer said:
1. Go to the classes anyway, never missing one. Ask the prof each day if anyone has dropped. Once a student has dropped, get his/her permission to add the class (the form will usually require a signature from the instructor if it's past the add/drop deadline)*.

*My Better Half (MBH) is teaching calculus at a local university this quarter; because of budget cuts, many class sections have been cut, leaving intense competition for the remaining sections. The seats fill up very, very quickly, and not everyone who needs the class can get in. However, one student faithfully attended each and every lecture this quarter, and even took the midterm; fortunately, after the midterm, a few students dropped the class and she was finally able to officially enroll in it.
Hey thanks for the ideas. I may end up doing the last one: going to the class everyday in hopes I pick up a dropped spot which I imagine I would eventually.

mege said:
Have you talked to an advisor at your school? There's usually different policies to address hardship in scheduling classes for your situation.
I haven't because I don't think it is available to me. I'm a provisional admit until I submit my final transcripts. They say I'm accepted, and just have to get greater than or equal to C in speech/critical thinking. Maybe it is available to me? With that said, I'm not local so I doubt they do it over the phone. I should look into this though.. As far as I've so far though, I speak with an adviser during orientation.
Thanks for your help.

jhae2.718 said:
I don't know how it is at your uni., but at mine you can do a force request with the department where you might be able to get placed into a filled class.
That sounds like an option I would like to take advantage of if available. I'll have to look into this as well, thanks!

flyingpig said:
Bribe a student there to save a spot for you
Lol, I'm not local and I don't think it would work out in the end anyways.. And I wouldn't know how to approach a student with this offer lol. Thanks for the idea :)
zif. said:
Don't most universities use first-come, first-serve waitlists?
Hey thanks for checking out the thread.. This one does, up to 30 people wait list for some classes!

I would talk to your advisor, or the transfer office about it, and if they can't solve the problem for you just go to each department and see if they can let you slide into something.

Be sure to stay ontop of the process. If it's first year engineering courses, then there are sure to be some that decide not to attend for whatver reason, so some spots *should* open up.

Related to Transfering in the fall, but cant register and classes filled

1. Why can't I register for classes in the fall?

As a transfer student, you may have a later registration date compared to other students. This could be due to various factors such as the evaluation of your transfer credits or the completion of any necessary placement exams.

2. I am unable to register for the classes I need. What should I do?

If the classes you need are currently filled, you can try reaching out to the professor or department offering the class to see if they can make an exception and add you to the class. You can also consider adding yourself to the waitlist for the class or looking for alternative classes that fulfill the same requirements.

3. Will I still be able to graduate on time if I can't register for fall classes?

It is important to carefully plan out your course schedule and make sure you are on track to graduate on time. If you are unable to register for fall classes, you can consider taking summer classes or adding extra classes in future semesters to catch up.

4. Can I still change my major or add a minor if I can't register for classes in the fall?

If you are unable to register for classes in your desired major or minor, you can still change your major or add a minor at a later time. However, it may delay your graduation timeline, so it is important to discuss this with your academic advisor.

5. What other resources are available to help me with registering for fall classes?

There are several resources available to help you with registering for classes. You can consult with your academic advisor for guidance, attend registration workshops or information sessions, or use online tools such as degree planning and registration portals to help plan your schedule.