Transfering files over FireWire

• Thread starter Werg22
  • Start date
  • Tags
    files
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of transferring files from a PC running on XP to a laptop running on Vista through a FireWire cable. The individual asking the question mentions having the necessary accessories but being unable to complete the transfer. The responder explains that having just the FireWire cable is not enough, as Vista does not have built-in FireWire drivers. They suggest looking into commercial drivers or using USB-2 as a slower alternative. The conversation ends with the responder mentioning that FireWire drivers may be added to Vista's first service pack.
Werg22
I want to transfer files from a PC running on XP to a laptop running on Vista through a FireWire cable. Unfortunately it seems having the accessories is not enough to do so. What do I need?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Werg,

I am not sure by what you mean 'accessories' ?

If you mean it simply in terms of the Firewire cable, then it is not enough.

As far as I know, out of the Box, Vista does not have Firewire drivers built in.

(Really odd, considering previous Beta builds did)

https://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1488766&SiteID=17

But also, be aware that XP may also be at fault (if your using the earlier version without SP2).

http://www.lockergnome.com/nexus/windows/2006/01/04/you-cannot-establish-an-ieee-1394-network-connection-in-xp/

There may be commercial drivers available...at a cost...

Then again, you could always fall back to USB-2 even though it is significantly slower.

Good luck in any case.

Aquafire

Last edited:
I do have SP2 on my PC. So you're saying I need the IEEE 1394 drivers on my laptop? I'll look into that, thank you.

Werg22 said:
I do have SP2 on my PC. So you're saying I need the IEEE 1394 drivers on my laptop? I'll look into that, thank you.

Your welcome Werg,

Sad to say, it looks like there are no drivers built into Vista. (How dumb is that)

Unless I am very much mistaken drivers for Firewire are going to added to Vistas' first service pack.

Aquafire

Related to Transfering files over FireWire

What is FireWire?

FireWire, also known as IEEE 1394, is a high-speed data transfer technology commonly used to connect devices such as cameras, external hard drives, and computers. It allows for fast and efficient transfer of large files.

How do I transfer files over FireWire?

To transfer files over FireWire, you will need a FireWire cable that is compatible with both the sending and receiving devices. Connect one end of the cable to the FireWire port on the sending device and the other end to the receiving device. Once connected, you can use the appropriate software or operating system to transfer the files.

What are the advantages of using FireWire for file transfer?

One of the main advantages of FireWire is its high transfer speed. It is capable of transferring data at speeds of up to 800 Mbps, making it much faster than other transfer methods such as USB. FireWire also allows for simultaneous data transfer, meaning multiple files can be transferred at the same time.

Can I transfer any type of file over FireWire?

Yes, FireWire can transfer any type of file, including photos, videos, music, documents, and more. As long as the sending and receiving devices are compatible and have the necessary software, you can transfer any type of file over FireWire.

Can I transfer files between different operating systems using FireWire?

Yes, FireWire is a universal technology that is compatible with both Mac and Windows operating systems. This means you can transfer files between different operating systems using FireWire without any issues.