Transfer Out of NJ with Limited Funds: Can I Pull it Off?

• Thread starter offtheleft
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pull
In summary, despite the current economic situation, the author has several ideas for transferring to a different state or acquiring a car that they cannot currently afford.
offtheleft
*despite the current economic situation*

im trying my hardest to transfer out in a year. definitely OUT of state, i reside in new jersey. i need a car and I am quite dead set on a certain one. to be specific, a jazz blue 20th anniversary VW gti. but, the problem is the fact that i simply don't have the funds for it. i was wondering if i can tack it on to college loans some how but at the rate the economy is going i won't even be able to take out a educational loan. but, here are some options i have that can help...

1, don't go to NYU, BostonU, U miami or any other ridiculously expensive school until grad school.

2, i have a 2006 kawasaki zx636 motorcycle that i need to get rid of, it has only 1000 miles on it so ill get pretty good money for it despite some minor cosmetic damage.

3, i can donate a testicle or something ridiculous that the general populous would shun and frown down upon.

if anyone has any information that i can use it would be tremendous! I am still young and learning so my thinking could, well, probably is flawed.

-g

Physics news on Phys.org
offtheleft said:
i need a car and I am quite dead set on a certain one.

Why? If you need a car, then you would be happy to settle with anything so long as it got you from A to B. It seems to me that you want a car. That's fair enough, but think pretty carefully about whether you really want to be borrowing more money to pay for something you really can't afford whilst you're in school.

Stick with the bike. Its cheaper, carves through traffic and goes like stink.

Kurdt said:

I've always liked motorcycles, but having recently read a paper which calculates per-trip accident rates for many forms of transportation I saw that motorcycles had a rate 100 times higher than passenger cars. I imagine that per-mile statistics are worse (cars are more common for long trips) and that per-trip fatal accidents are worse (car accidents being less deadly).

Just something to think about...

On that topic: does anyone have comparative insurance rates for the two? I'm not even sure which is cheaper.

Kurdt said:

yeah, i know. but, its a ticket magnet. when i first got it, close to three years ago i ran into A LOT of problems. hers a cliff-notes version:

the dealer sent the bike to my house without my insurance or registration. i had a bike with no tags sitting in my drive way. a cop strolls up to me and gives me two tickets; one for no insurance and one for no registration. i figured id just go in and pay the fines, what ever. called the dealer and asked for the proof of insurance and registration and the said they had sent it to me and they can't send it again. me; young and dumb, not really knowing what kind of trouble i was in went to court with my friend only to find out that in the state of new jersey a no insurance ticket would suspend my license for a year. so, i had my license for a grand total of three months before it was taken away. and, i couldn't even drive it yet. my parents had the keys because they knew id take it out since i learned to ride on a 50cc at the age of five and been riding ever since.

back to the car; what good is the bike going to do me when its cold, raining or snowing? very little. i can't get a girl in the back seat of my bike either. I am at a loss!

CRGreathouse said:
On that topic: does anyone have comparative insurance rates for the two? I'm not even sure which is cheaper.

im paying 54 dollars a month for year-round, full-coverage with progressive.

Everyone knows that motorcycles are more dangerous than cars. Its a risk a motorcycle rider accepts when they get on the bike.

I'd hardly call it a ticket magnet for an incident that was out of your control, but then I guess its up to you. For the wet you can invest in some wet weather riding gear. For the snow, go somewhere there isn't any. :smile:

Kurdt said:
Everyone knows that motorcycles are more dangerous than cars. Its a risk a motorcycle rider accepts when they get on the bike.

I'd hardly call it a ticket magnet for an incident that was out of your control, but then I guess its up to you. For the wet you can invest in some wet weather riding gear. For the snow, go somewhere there isn't any. :smile:

leathers are year round life savers :) and that my plan, to go where there isn't any snow. grad school will definitely be in cali... as an undergrad I am going to try to get as close to there as possible. id rather have a car though

The used car market in the UK is screwed at the moment; it's great if you're buying and horrendous if you're selling. I assume that current economics dictate that a similar thing is happening in the US.

I wouldn't ever advise buying a car you can't afford though. Why not pick up a 20 year old Golf GTI instead, a good bit cheaper and much more fun!

offtheleft said:
i can't get a girl in the back seat of my bike either. I am at a loss!
You're not trying hard enough. I saw how to do it in a magazine once, but I forget the name of it.

Related to Transfer Out of NJ with Limited Funds: Can I Pull it Off?

1. Can I transfer out of NJ with limited funds?

Yes, it is possible to transfer out of NJ with limited funds. However, it may require careful planning and budgeting to ensure a smooth transition.

2. What are some tips for making a successful transfer with limited funds?

Some tips for making a successful transfer with limited funds include researching affordable housing options, applying for scholarships or financial aid, and minimizing expenses by living frugally.

3. Is it possible to transfer to a different state with limited funds and still maintain my current standard of living?

It may be possible to transfer to a different state with limited funds and maintain your current standard of living, but it will depend on the cost of living in the new location and your individual financial situation.

4. Are there any resources available to help with transferring out of NJ with limited funds?

Yes, there are resources available such as financial aid counselors and transfer advisors who can provide guidance and assistance with the transfer process. Additionally, there are online resources and forums where you can connect with others who have successfully transferred with limited funds.

5. How can I save money during the transfer process?

You can save money during the transfer process by applying for scholarships or financial aid, minimizing expenses by living frugally, and researching affordable housing options. It may also be helpful to create a budget and stick to it throughout the transfer process.