Transcendental equation problem

In summary, the equation given is a transcendental equation that is difficult to solve. It involves the use of the cotangent and tangent functions, which can cause issues in numerical solutions. To solve this equation, it is recommended to rewrite it in terms of cosine and sine functions. There are infinitely many positive and negative roots for this equation, and they can be approximated through plotting and refined through various methods. The roots are dependent on the index p, and the value of n in the equation complicates the process of finding the roots.
dji3214
i have a transcendental equation and i have not a mathematique superieur formation ( I'm an hydraulic engeneer) and i want to resolve it but i can't so if you can help me with it !

the equation is : 2*x*n*ctg(2x)= x2 - n2 or (same equation) : (n*ctg(x)-x)*(n*tg(x)+x) =0

n= constante ( i have this n... in example n = 0.5 )
xp = are the roots of equation above

Physics news on Phys.org
dji3214 said:
i have a transcendental equation and i have not a mathematique superieur formation ( I'm an hydraulic engeneer) and i want to resolve it but i can't so if you can help me with it !

the equation is : 2*x*n*ctg(2x)= x2 - n2 or (same equation) : (n*ctg(x)-x)*(n*tg(x)+x) =0

Welcome to the PF.

Did you mean to put this in the schoolwork forums? If it's for your work, it could be posted in the general Math forums...

dji3214 said:

Such equations are normally solved by iteration, also known as trial and error.

dji3214 said:

First: the ##\cot(2x)## function "blows up" (goes to ##\pm \infty##) at (infinitely many) finite values of ##x##, so that will give trouble in any numerical solution scheme. It is better to eliminate that problem by re-writing the equation as
[tex] 2 n x \cos(2x) = (x^2 - n^2) \sin(2x) [/tex]
Now a plot of both sides will reveal the approximate positions of roots, and these can be refined by various methods to get accurate values. There are infinitely many positive and negative roots.

Ray Vickson said:
First: the ##\cot(2x)## function "blows up" (goes to ##\pm \infty##) at (infinitely many) finite values of ##x##, so that will give trouble in any numerical solution scheme. It is better to eliminate that problem by re-writing the equation as
[tex] 2 n x \cos(2x) = (x^2 - n^2) \sin(2x) [/tex]
Now a plot of both sides will reveal the approximate positions of roots, and these can be refined by various methods to get accurate values. There are infinitely many positive and negative roots.
DEAR ,, RAY thnx for helping me,, if i understand u this infitely positive and negative roots are for this n in our example 0.5 ... AND if i tell you that xp the roots are depending to this index p like in series Σ ...because in my formula they wrote in it Xp like this ; X is h ( hn = are the roots of equation above) ,, the index p is n and n (n=0.5) in the equation is mew !
upload_2015-8-14_0-56-11.png

the GENERAL EQUATION is ;
upload_2015-8-14_1-0-45.png

where in the left side constant i have it

the right side this serie and THIS INDEX n batherd me a lot and complicate my equation because i don't know in which number of n i stop my serie and also stop the root of the transcendental equation

Last edited:
dji3214 said:
DEAR ,, RAY thnx for helping me,, if i understand u this infitely positive and negative roots are for this n in our example 0.5 ... AND if i tell you that xp the roots are depending to this index p like in series Σ ...because in my formula they wrote in it Xp like this ; X is h ( hn = are the roots of equation above) ,, the index p is n and n (n=0.5) in the equation is mew !
View attachment 87287

the GENERAL EQUATION is ;
View attachment 87288
where in the left side constant i have it

the right side this serie and THIS INDEX n batherd me a lot and complicate my equation because i don't know in which number of n i stop my serie and also stop the root of the transcendental equation

I cannot understand anything you have written.

Ray Vickson said:
I cannot understand anything you have written.
lol ,, ok ,, my general formula is : my problem is hn roots of transcendental equation
upload_2015-8-14_1-0-45-png.87288.png

in PHI n i have hn ( hn is roots of the first transcendental equation that i wrote in first time )

this is PHIn
upload_2015-8-14_0-56-11-png.87287.png

look at hn ,, now hn are roots of the transcendental equation
upload_2015-8-14_15-32-29.png
that u transform to 2nxcos(2x)=(x2−n2)sin(2x) i would tell you that the greek lettre eta (
upload_2015-8-14_15-33-54.png
) is n in first post that's all because i change variables lettre

Last edited:
dji3214 said:
lol ,, ok ,, my general formula is : my problem is hn roots of transcendental equation
upload_2015-8-14_1-0-45-png.87288.png

in PHI n i have hn ( hn is roots of the first transcendental equation that i wrote in first time )

this is PHIn
upload_2015-8-14_0-56-11-png.87287.png

look at hn ,, now hn are roots of the transcendental equation View attachment 87304 that u transform to 2nxcos(2x)=(x2−n2)sin(2x) i would tell you that the greek lettre mew ( View attachment 87305 ) is n in first post that's all because i change variables lettre

η is called "eta"

μ is called "mu", or "mew", as you prefer.

Likes dji3214
SteamKing said:
η is called "eta"

μ is called "mu", or "mew", as you prefer.
lol see i forget very think lol

Related to Transcendental equation problem

What is a transcendental equation problem?

A transcendental equation problem is an equation that involves both algebraic and transcendental functions, such as logarithms, trigonometric functions, or exponential functions. These equations often have multiple solutions and cannot be solved using traditional algebraic methods.

How is a transcendental equation problem solved?

Transcendental equations are typically solved using numerical methods, such as iteration or approximation techniques. These methods involve repeatedly plugging in values for the unknown variable until a solution is reached.

Why are transcendental equations important?

Transcendental equations are important in many areas of science, such as physics, engineering, and economics. They are used to model and solve complex problems that cannot be easily solved using traditional algebraic methods.

What are some examples of transcendental equations?

Some examples of transcendental equations include the logistic equation, the sine-Gordon equation, and the Fermi-Dirac distribution. These equations are used to describe phenomena such as population growth, wave motion, and electron behavior in materials.

How can I check if my solution to a transcendental equation is correct?

You can check your solution by plugging it back into the original equation and seeing if it satisfies the equation. You can also use a graphing calculator to graph both sides of the equation and see if they intersect at the given solution.