Trajectory of an electron traveling near a current-carrying wire

In summary, the conversation discusses the formulas for B and Fm and their relation to the trajectory of an electron in an experiment. The goal is to create a formula that calculates the trajectory, dependent on the distance to the wire (R). The conversation also mentions using Newton's second law and integrating to find the velocity, with the belief that the vertical velocity will be constant. However, this is later questioned as v also changes with time due to F=qvB.
alesdiazdeo
Homework Statement
There's an infinite vertical wire which produces 5Amps. An electron is 0.2 meters apart with a velocity of 10^5 m/s in the same direction of the wire. The wire is creating a magnetic field which alters the trajectory of the electron. I need to know to the function which represents it.
Relevant Equations
Fm(magnetic force)=q(v x B) (charge times vectorial multiplication of velocity and magnetic field)
Without vectors it's just Fm=qvB
B(magnetic field)=nu/2pi * I/R (I=current intensity, R=distance)
nu/2pi=2*10^-7 (it's a constant)
B equals 50*10^-7 T (at first instance)
Fm equals 8*10^-20 N (at first instance)

I know Fm is perpendicular to the velocity, and I know the estimation of the trajectory (somewhat similar to the curve y=lnx).

Since I think vertical velocity will be constant, only changing the x component, I tried summing the Fm and the B formula, creating a bigger formula which I think represents the growth on the Y axis of the final desired formula dependent to R. That's what I want, not a formula that depends on time but a formula that depends of the distance to the wire (R).
electron-ej41.JPG

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
alesdiazdeo said:
That's what I want, not a formula that depends on time but a formula that depends of the distance to the wire (R).
What is the quantity your formula should compute?

I would describe the trajectory of the electron with an x and y coordinate, where:
x is the distance to the wire
y = the distance the electron has traveled since the start of the experiment. obviously (y = vt)

x will depend on t, an easy computation with Newton's second law (F = ma)
Using y = vt, you can also make x dependent on y.

There are no preferences, just calculation of the trajectory is my task.

Alright, so I inserted the B formula into the Fm formula and got Fm=1.6*10^-20/R.
Divided it by the mass of the electron and got the acceleration.
Did the integral of that and got v=1,76*10^10*ln|R|+C (which I assume is 0 since R=inf -> v=0)
I thought that was a good representation of the Y axis and the X axis could be represented by 10^5 (constant) but my friend tells me that v (on the X axis) also changes with time.

So I'm lost again.

Last edited:
alesdiazdeo said:
Since I think vertical velocity will be constant
What makes you think that ?

##\ ##

BvU said:
What makes you think that ?

##\ ##
That the initial statement was that; but of course v is only constant in module, not as a vector, as it varies with F=qvB.

1. What is the trajectory of an electron traveling near a current-carrying wire?

The trajectory of an electron traveling near a current-carrying wire is curved due to the interaction between the magnetic field produced by the current and the electric field of the electron. This phenomenon is known as the Lorentz force.

2. How does the strength of the current affect the trajectory of the electron?

The strength of the current directly affects the strength of the magnetic field, which in turn affects the curvature of the electron's trajectory. A stronger current will result in a stronger magnetic field and a more pronounced curvature in the electron's path.

3. What factors can affect the trajectory of an electron near a current-carrying wire?

Aside from the strength of the current, other factors that can affect the trajectory of an electron near a current-carrying wire include the distance between the wire and the electron, the velocity of the electron, and the direction of the current relative to the direction of the electron's motion.

4. Can the trajectory of an electron near a current-carrying wire be controlled?

Yes, the trajectory of an electron near a current-carrying wire can be controlled by varying the strength and direction of the current, as well as the distance between the wire and the electron. This phenomenon is utilized in devices such as particle accelerators and cathode ray tubes.

5. What are the practical applications of understanding the trajectory of an electron near a current-carrying wire?

Understanding the trajectory of an electron near a current-carrying wire is crucial in the development and functioning of various electronic devices, such as motors, generators, and transformers. It also plays a significant role in the study of electromagnetism and particle physics.