Tracking Wire Position with Electromagnet & Permanent Magnet

SIn summary, the conversation discusses a design for tracking the position of a wire with a permanent magnet attached to its tip. The wire will be moved in one dimension using an electromagnet and its position will be measured through capacitance. The suggested circuit for measuring capacitance is a common and easy to use in the sub pF range.
bengaltiger14
I am trying to come up with a design that would track the position of a wire. The wire will have a permanent magnet attached to its tip. I will use a electromagnet to move the wire in only 1 dimension.

Here is what I was thinking... I would put a stationary aluminum plate some distance from the electromagnet. The wire with the permanent magnet will be placed in the middle. The wire will be moved according to capacitance. What kind of circuitry would be need to "measure" the value of capacitance? The capacitance value will tell me the position of the wire.

Engineering news on Phys.org
People have used "capacitive" electrodes to very accurately measure the transverse position of a taut wire carrying a RF frequency electrical current. The accuracy is ~0.1% of the aperture between pickup electrodes, or better. Is there any way you could put a current in the wire?

Bob S

You might try this circuit. It's very common and fairly easy to use in the sub pF range.

Mike

Attachments

• cap.jpg
    cap.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 343

Related to Tracking Wire Position with Electromagnet & Permanent Magnet

1. How does the tracking wire position system work?

The tracking wire position system utilizes an electromagnet and a permanent magnet to create a magnetic field. The permanent magnet is attached to the object being tracked, and the electromagnet is used to change the direction of the magnetic field. By measuring the changes in the magnetic field, the position of the object can be tracked.

2. What types of objects can be tracked using this system?

This system can be used to track any object that can have a permanent magnet attached to it. This includes vehicles, machinery, and even living organisms such as animals.

3. How accurate is the tracking wire position system?

The accuracy of the system depends on the strength of the magnetic field and the sensitivity of the measuring equipment. With a strong magnetic field and precise measuring equipment, the system can track the position of an object with high accuracy.

4. Are there any limitations to using this tracking system?

One limitation of this system is that it can only track objects within a certain range of the magnetic field. If the object moves too far away from the magnetic field, it will no longer be trackable. Additionally, the system may be affected by external magnetic fields or interference, which can reduce its accuracy.

5. How can this tracking system be used in real-world applications?

The tracking wire position system has a wide range of applications, including in navigation systems, robotics, and medical devices. It can also be used for monitoring the movement of vehicles or machinery in industrial settings, and for tracking the location of animals in wildlife studies.