Building an electromagnet, would appreciate advice

In summary: A repelent device...In summary, you want to build a device that will repel a permanent magnet. You should consider the dimensions of the object you are trying to repel and the type of magnet you are using.
VYP
Hi,
I want to repel a permanent Neo magnet using an electromagnet which i want to build. The distance from which it should repel is about 2 inches and to a height of 1 inch. So what would be the ideal gauge of copper wire and the number of turns on the MS rod as core, if i supply 12v DC through it?

I have already read through this related thread from a few years back: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/building-an-electromagnet-need-help.690449/

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
How about posting a sketch of the concept. If the repulsion is in the z direction, how will the x, y position and the orientation of the neo magnet be controlled? Is the repulsion upwards against gravity or along something? How much does the neo magnet weigh?

Hi,
This is my rough requirement in the sketch...would really be thankful for the suggestions
IMG_20160624_095914[1].jpg

VYP said:
The distance from which it should repel is about 2 inches and to a height of 1 inch.
So you are wanting the air space between the end of the electromagnet core and the end of the permanent magnet to change from 2" vertically to 3" vertically and upwards?

You can't compromise on this? (Once details come to light I think we'll find you are asking much.)

Also, you have not provided the details Baluncore sought.

The coil surrounding the air core as illustrated on the drawing will have very little tractive force compared to a coil utilizing a solid core.
Wind one of each, and evaluate your results.

John

Thank you
What if i want to attract an iron cylinder 10mm*10mm vertically upwards...what all should I consider??

VYP said:
What if i want to attract an iron cylinder 10mm*10mm vertically upwards...what all should I consider??
You should consider explaining why you might want to do it. What is the reason of this design work ?
What do you want to build ?

Related to Building an electromagnet, would appreciate advice

What is an electromagnet?

An electromagnet is a type of magnet created by passing an electric current through a coil of wire. This creates a magnetic field, which can be turned on and off by controlling the flow of electricity.

What materials do I need to build an electromagnet?

To build an electromagnet, you will need a battery, a coil of wire, a steel core (such as a nail or bolt), and a switch or means to control the flow of electricity.

How do I make an electromagnet stronger?

The strength of an electromagnet depends on the number of coils of wire, the amount of current passing through the wire, and the type of core material used. To make an electromagnet stronger, you can increase the number of coils, increase the current, or use a stronger core material.

What are some practical applications of electromagnets?

Electromagnets have many practical applications, such as in motors, generators, speakers, and MRI machines. They are also used in household appliances like refrigerators and washing machines.

What are the safety precautions when building an electromagnet?

When building an electromagnet, it is important to use caution when handling electricity and to follow proper wiring techniques. Make sure to use a switch to control the flow of electricity and never touch the wire or core while the current is on. It is also important to properly insulate the wire to prevent any risk of electric shock.