Tracking the position of trebuchet payload

In summary, the conversation discusses developing expressions for the position, velocity, and acceleration of a payload in a trebuchet using vector tools in Mathematica. The goal is to find a set of parameters that will result in the maximum velocity of the payload. The conversation also mentions using max/min calculus tools or custom plots to aid in this task. The use of animations and proper labeling is encouraged for a complete report. The conversation also mentions the need to solve for the arm angle β and the use of vector loops to find the velocity and acceleration equations.
Green Lantern

Homework Statement

For the parts of the Trebuchet shown, develop expressions for the position, velocity,
and acceleration, x, x', and x'' of the payload as a function of the arm angle θ and its
derivatives θ', θ''. Use the vector tools in Mathematica to help develop the
expressions needed. Note that a closed kinematic loop is present during this phase of
the motion if the rope remains taut. By either using max/min calculus tools or plots of
your own design, find a set of parameters L, R, and H that will provide the maximum
velocity x' at the point the payload lifts off the ground. Provide plots showing the
position, velocity and acceleration of the payload as a function of the arm angle θ.
Assume the arm angle increases as a quadratic function of time. Bonus points are
available if animations of the motion are provided. Provide discussion of what is
observed as your analysis proceeds. Use the Mathematica notebooks as the report
medium. Report on your work immediately near each plot. Label all axes and title
each plot.

Problem diagram is trebuchet.jpg

Homework Equations

v = dr/dt + ω cross r
a = dv/dt + ω cross v

The Attempt at a Solution

My coordinate system is trebwork.jpg

For position of the payload I have:

r = La1 + Rb1

Where

A-Frame:

a1 = sinθn1 - cosθn2
a2 = cosθn1 + sinθn2

and

B-Frame:

b1 = -cosβa1 - sinβa2
b2 = -sinβa1 + cosβa2

and

ω(Frame:N-B) = θ'a3
ω(Frame:N-A) = β'b3

My vector loops is:

r = La1 + Rb1 - xn2 + Hn1 = 0

I derive this to find velocity and again for acceleration.

First, how do I solve for β?

Attachments

• trebuchet.jpg
    trebuchet.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 482
  • trebwork.jpg
    trebwork.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 615
Physics news on Phys.org
How do I use the vector tools in Mathematica to help develop the expressions needed? Also, how do I use max/min calculus tools or plots of my own design to find the set of parameters L, R, and H that will provide the maximum velocity x'?

Related to Tracking the position of trebuchet payload

1. How do you track the position of trebuchet payload?

The position of trebuchet payload can be tracked using a variety of methods such as GPS tracking, radar tracking, and visual tracking using cameras or drones.

2. Why is it important to track the position of trebuchet payload?

Tracking the position of trebuchet payload is important for several reasons, including ensuring accuracy and precision of the trebuchet's aim, monitoring the trajectory of the payload for safety purposes, and collecting data for analysis and improvement of the trebuchet's performance.

3. Can the position of trebuchet payload be tracked in real-time?

Yes, the position of trebuchet payload can be tracked in real-time using advanced tracking technologies such as GPS and radar. This allows for immediate adjustments to be made to the trebuchet's aim and trajectory for optimal results.

4. Are there any challenges in tracking the position of trebuchet payload?

Yes, there can be challenges in tracking the position of trebuchet payload, such as weather conditions affecting the accuracy of tracking technologies, obstacles blocking the line of sight for visual tracking, and the speed and trajectory of the payload making it difficult to track.

5. How can tracking the position of trebuchet payload benefit scientific research?

Tracking the position of trebuchet payload can provide valuable data for scientific research, including studying projectile motion, analyzing the effects of external factors on the trebuchet's performance, and developing more efficient and accurate trebuchet designs.