Displacement given position function at time t

In summary: The magnitude of displacement is the distance between final and initial position, which is always positive. The direction of the displacement is the direction from initial to final position.
Robophys

Homework Statement

The position function of a projectile is given by r(t) = (5t + 6t2) m I + (30 - t3) m j. What is the displacement of the particle in magnitude angle form at the = 2.0 seconds.

Homework Equations

√x2+y2
tan-1 = y/x
Possibly: x = v0t + 1/2at2

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I assumed you could calculate the position at t = 2.0 s by plugging into the position function and subtract the initial position. So the initial position would be 30 in the positive you direction (j) and 0 i. The position at t = 2.0 s would be 10 + 6 * 4 = 34 i and 30 - 8 = 22. So the displacement would then be 34 m in the positive x direction and 8 meters in the negative y directions The resultant magnitude would be √(34)2+(-8)2 = √1156 + 64 = √1220.

The angle would be tan-1θ = y over x then

Is this correct? I haven't encountered another problem finding displacement given position function. Or should I find initial velocity and acceleration and use x = v0t + 1/2at2.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Robophys, Welcome to Physics Forums!

Your method looks good. Take care when rounding results; your value of 34 m for the displacement looks to me like you truncated rather than rounded. Of course, it might also be that you rounded intermediate results along the way and lost accuracy in the calculations. So beware of that! Keep extra "guard digits" in intermediate steps. Only round at the end to display final results.

Welcome to PF Robophys.

Your method is correct. Displacement is the difference between final and initial position.

Related to Displacement given position function at time t

What is displacement given position function at time t?

Displacement given position function at time t is a measure of the change in an object's position from its starting point at a specific time. It takes into account both the direction and magnitude of the change in position.

How is displacement calculated using position function at time t?

To calculate displacement using position function at time t, you subtract the initial position from the final position. This gives you the net change in position, taking into account the direction of movement.

What is the difference between displacement and distance?

Displacement and distance are both measures of how far an object has moved. However, displacement takes into account the direction of movement, while distance only measures the total length traveled regardless of direction.

Can displacement be negative?

Yes, displacement can be negative. This occurs when an object moves in the opposite direction of its initial position. For example, if an object starts at position 10 and ends at position 5, its displacement would be -5.

How is displacement related to velocity?

Displacement and velocity are closely related. Velocity is the rate of change of displacement over time. In other words, velocity is the speed and direction of an object's displacement. It is calculated by dividing the change in displacement by the change in time.