Track One to Engineering Science at University of Toronto

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of switching to Engineering Science after completing Track One engineering at U of T. One person claims it is possible with high grades, while others state that it is not allowed according to the university's website. It is suggested to check with the university for accurate information. It is also noted that Track One is meant for general first year engineering studies and cannot replace the first year of Engineering Science.
mark.k
Hello everyone,

This year I am going to Track One engineering at U of T. I chose Engineering Science, but I didn't get in. On some other forum I have found one person, who said that people can switch to EngSci after TrackOne if they have a very high average. On the U of T website it says that such thing is not possible. Can anyone confirm that?

Thank you very much, have a great day!

Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you check with the university? And by that I don't mean just the website, ring up the registrar, the Faculty of Science or whoever is in charge of these things. It will be, after all, the most reliable source. Even if someone here tells you it's possible and they later say no, you're not going to be able to cite PF as an authority on the matter.

Yes it is possible if you have high grades. That is the point of Track One! It is meant to give you a brief peek into different engineeing disciplines and then make a choice.

You cannot graduate as a Track-One engineering student you have to move to either mech, electrical, civil... etc after first year.

From my understanding is that you cannot switch to engsci. Track one is meant to switch to all other engineering other than engsci.

Engsci even take more courses than track one. It is VERY unlikely you'll be able to switch from track one to engsci in second year.

It would be a good idea to check with the university as Ryker said.

TrackOne was meant to be a general first year engineering study that gave 2nd year access to all engineering programs (chem, civil, computer...) expect for the Engineering Science.

If you to page 11 of this Prospective Student Guide for engineers, you will see a neat diagram of how it works.
http://www.discover.uoftengineering.com/pdf/UT_engineering_prospective_student_guide.pdf

Also, here are the courses of each program to show why TrackOne cannot replace the first year of Engineering Science.

From http://www.undergrad.engineering.utoronto.ca/Assets/UndergradEng+Digital+Assets/calendar1011/Chapter+7.pdf

TrackOne Year
Fall
Engineering Strategies & Practice I - APS111H1 F
Ethics in Engineering - APS150H1 F
Mechanics - CIV100H1 F
Calculus A - MAT196H1 F
Linear Algebra - MAT188H1 F
Computer Fundamentals - APS105H1 F

Winter
Engineering Strategies & Practice II - APS112H1 S
Calculus B - MAT197H1 S
Introduction to Materials and Chemistry - PS104H1 S
Dynamics - MIE100H1 S
Electrical Fundamentals - ECE110H1 S
Introduction to Engineering - APS191H1 S

ENGINEERING SCIENCE 1st Year
Fall
Structures and Materials - An Introduction to Engineering Design - CIV102H1 F
Praxis I - ESC101H1 F
Engineering Mathematics and Computation - ESC103H1 F
Calculus I - MAT194H1 F
Classical Mechanics - PHY180H1 F
and one of:
Introduction to Computer Programming - CSC180H1 F
Computer Programming, Algorithms, Data Structures and Languages - CSC192H1 F

Winter
Systems Biology - BME105H1 S
Fundamentals of Electric Circuits - ECE159H1 S
Praxis II - ESC102H1 S
Linear Algebra - MAT185H1 S
Calculus II - MAT195H1 S
and one of:
Computer Algorithms, Data Structures and Languages - CSC190H1 S
Free Elective

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, thank you very much for all of your responses, I will ask the univeristy about this. I was wandering if anyone was able to do that, but it seems impossible. Anyway, thanks a lot.

Related to Track One to Engineering Science at University of Toronto

1. What is the Track One program at University of Toronto?

The Track One program at University of Toronto is an engineering science program designed for students who are interested in pursuing a career in engineering. It provides a general foundation in engineering fundamentals, as well as the opportunity to specialize in a specific engineering discipline in later years.

2. How do I apply for the Track One program at University of Toronto?

To apply for the Track One program at University of Toronto, you must first apply to the Faculty of Applied Science & Engineering. You can indicate your interest in the Track One program on your application. After being accepted into the faculty, you will be considered for the Track One program based on your academic performance and personal statement.

3. What are the admission requirements for the Track One program at University of Toronto?

The admission requirements for the Track One program at University of Toronto include a strong academic record in math and science courses, a personal statement, and completion of the online Engineering Applicant Profile. Applicants are also required to have completed high school or equivalent and meet the minimum English language proficiency requirements.

4. Can I switch to a different engineering program after completing Track One at University of Toronto?

Yes, it is possible to switch to a different engineering program after completing Track One at University of Toronto. However, this is subject to meeting the specific requirements of the desired program and availability of space. It is important to consult with an academic advisor before making any program changes.

5. What are the career opportunities for graduates of the Track One program at University of Toronto?

Graduates of the Track One program at University of Toronto have a wide range of career opportunities in various industries, including aerospace, biotechnology, consulting, energy, finance, and more. They are also well-prepared to pursue advanced studies in engineering or related fields.