TQFT From Purely Mathematical Considerations

In summary, the conversation discusses the understanding and acceptance of Dijkgraaf-Witten Theory in the physics community. The theory is seen as a toy example that helps to better understand more realistic examples in theoretical physics. It is not considered as "real" physics but is well established in the field. The theory is tied to concepts like string theory and is seen as an attempt to tie together general relativity and quantum mechanics. However, it is noted that gauge theory, while originating in physics, is a purely mathematical concept.
nateHI
I worked my way through this paper

http://www.math.harvard.edu/theses/senior/lee/lee.pdf

as part of a mathematics reading project and believe I have a fairly good understanding of the material. There is virtually no physics in this paper yet we seem to arrive at Dijkgraaf-Witten Theory quite naturally at the end of the paper. I find the idea, if true, that purely mathematical considerations can lead to the notion of gauge theory from physics quite amazing. I say, "if true" because other than teaching myself a little bit of QM and GR my knowledge of physics is quite limited. So my questions are, how widely accepted is Dijkgraaf-Witten Theory in the physics community? I hear it's tied to things like string theory, is that true? Dijkgraaf-Witten Theory seems to be an attempt to tie together GR and QM, is that a fair assessment?

Edit: Fixed some typos

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71
Physics news on Phys.org
It is too low-dimensional to be ''real'' physics but it is well established within theoretical physics as a class of toy examples that help to gain a better understanding of more realistic examples. You can read more in http://https://ncatlab.org/nlab/show/Dijkgraaf-Witten+theory and in the original article by Dijkgraaf and Witten,
Dijkgraaf, Robbert, and Edward Witten. "Topological gauge theories and group cohomology." Communications in Mathematical Physics 129.2 (1990): 393-429.

Note also that gauge theory, although originating in physics, is a purely mathematical concept from the differential geometry of vector bundles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes vanhees71

Related to TQFT From Purely Mathematical Considerations

What is TQFT from Purely Mathematical Considerations?

TQFT (Topological Quantum Field Theory) from Purely Mathematical Considerations is a mathematical framework that studies the relationship between topology, geometry, and quantum physics. It aims to understand the mathematical structures and patterns that arise in quantum field theories and their connection to topological spaces.

What is the importance of studying TQFT from Purely Mathematical Considerations?

The study of TQFT from Purely Mathematical Considerations has important implications in various fields such as mathematics, physics, and computer science. It helps us understand the fundamental nature of the universe and provides a powerful tool for solving complex problems in these fields.

How is TQFT from Purely Mathematical Considerations different from other quantum field theories?

TQFT from Purely Mathematical Considerations differs from other quantum field theories in that it focuses on the mathematical aspects rather than physical aspects of quantum physics. It is a purely mathematical approach to understanding quantum field theories, without the need for experimental verification.

What are the mathematical tools used in studying TQFT from Purely Mathematical Considerations?

Some of the mathematical tools used in studying TQFT from Purely Mathematical Considerations include category theory, topology, abstract algebra, and differential geometry. These tools help us understand the underlying structures and patterns in quantum field theories and their relationship to topological spaces.

What are some real-life applications of TQFT from Purely Mathematical Considerations?

TQFT from Purely Mathematical Considerations has many real-life applications, such as in the study of topological insulators, quantum computing, and knot theory. It also has applications in pure mathematics, including algebraic topology, representation theory, and algebraic geometry.