Total Derivatives and Linear Mappings .... D&K Example 2.2.5

In summary, the conversation discusses Example 2.2.5 in Duistermaat and Kolk's "Multidimensional Real Analysis I: Differentiation." The example shows that there is no remainder term in the equation ##A(a+h)-A(a)=A(h)##, but the question arises as to why ##\epsilon_a(h)=0##. The answer is provided by Definition 2.2.2 and Lemma 2.2.3, which state that ##DA(a)=A## is the derivative, making the remainder term zero by definition. The conversation also includes further clarification and thanks to those who provided help on the matter.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading "Multidimensional Real Analysis I: Differentiation" by J. J. Duistermaat and J. A. C. Kolk ...

I am focused on Chapter 2: Differentiation ... ...

I need help with an aspect of Example 2.2.5 ... ...

Duistermaat and Kolk's Example 2.2.5 read as follows:
D&K - 1 -  Example 2.2.5  ... ... PART 1 ... ... png.png

D&K - 2 -  Example 2.2.5  ... ... PART 2 ... .png
In the above text by D&K we read the following:

" ... ... Indeed ##A(a+h) - A(a) = A(h)##, for every ##h \in \mathbb{R}^n##; and there is no remainder term. ... ... "Now I can see that

##A(a + h) = A(a) + A(h)## ... ... (1) from the definition of ##A## ...

and in (2.10) we have ...

##A(a +h) - A(a) = DA(a)h + \epsilon_a(h)## ... ... (2)

So ... from (1) and (2) we get

##A(h) = DA(a)h + \epsilon_a(h)##

... BUT ... why, in D&K's terms is "there no remainder term" ...

... in other words ... why is ##\epsilon_a(h) = 0## ...
Hope someone can help ...

Peter
==========================================================================================***NOTE***

The above post refers to equation (2.10) which occurs in Definition 2.2.2 ... so I am providing Definition 2.2.2 and the accompanying text ... as follows:
D&K - 1 - Defn 2.2.2 ... ... PART 1 ... .png

D&K - 2 - Defn 2.2.2 ... ... PART 2 ... .png
I hope that helps readers understand the context and notation of the above post ...

Peter

Attachments

• D&K - 1 -  Example 2.2.5  ... ... PART 1 ... ... png.png
    D&K - 1 - Example 2.2.5 ... ... PART 1 ... ... png.png
    37.9 KB · Views: 634
  • D&K - 2 -  Example 2.2.5  ... ... PART 2 ... .png
    D&K - 2 - Example 2.2.5 ... ... PART 2 ... .png
    32.2 KB · Views: 456
  • D&K - 1 - Defn 2.2.2 ... ... PART 1 ... .png
    D&K - 1 - Defn 2.2.2 ... ... PART 1 ... .png
    57.4 KB · Views: 501
  • D&K - 2 - Defn 2.2.2 ... ... PART 2 ... .png
    D&K - 2 - Defn 2.2.2 ... ... PART 2 ... .png
    11.6 KB · Views: 377
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If we define ##DA(a)(h) := A(h)## then we get a linear mapping which satisfies the conditions of a derivative and for which the remainder is zero by definition. Now Lemma 2.2.3 says, that there is only one and thus ##DA(a)=A## is the derivative.

Likes Math Amateur
In the quoted text we have that ##DA(a)=A\forall a\in \mathbb R^n##.
hence equation (2) becomes
$$A(a+h)=
A(a)+
DA(a)(h)+\epsilon_a(h)
=A(a)+A(h)+\epsilon_a(h)$$
Subtracting (1) from this gives the desired result.

Likes Math Amateur
Thanks fresh_42, Andrew ...

... appreciate your help ...

Peter

Related to Total Derivatives and Linear Mappings .... D&K Example 2.2.5

What is a total derivative?

A total derivative is a mathematical concept used in multivariable calculus to represent the change in a function with respect to all of its variables. It takes into account both the partial derivatives of the function and the directional derivatives in each direction.

What is the difference between a total derivative and a partial derivative?

A partial derivative only considers the change in a function with respect to one variable, while a total derivative takes into account the change in all variables.

How is a total derivative calculated?

A total derivative can be calculated using the Jacobian matrix, which contains all of the partial derivatives of a function. The total derivative is then represented as a linear transformation from the domain of the function to its range.

What is a linear mapping?

A linear mapping is a function between two vector spaces that preserves the operations of addition and scalar multiplication. In other words, the output of a linear mapping is a linear combination of its inputs.

Can total derivatives and linear mappings be applied to real-world problems?

Yes, total derivatives and linear mappings have many practical applications in fields such as physics, economics, and engineering. They are commonly used to model the behavior of complex systems and make predictions based on changes in variables.