Multivariable Analysis: Another Question Re: D&K Lemma 2.2.7

In summary, the conversation is discussing a specific proof in the book "Multidimensional Real Analysis I: Differentiation" by J. J. Duistermaat and J. A. C. Kolk. The proof involves showing the continuity of a function ##\phi_a## at ##a## using a direct computation and substitution. This is demonstrated through equations (1) and (2) and implies that ##\phi_a## is continuous at ##a##. The conversation also includes questions about the proof and clarification on the notation used.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading "Multidimensional Real Analysis I: Differentiation" by J. J. Duistermaat and J. A. C. Kolk ...

I am focused on Chapter 2: Differentiation ... ...

I need help with another aspect of the proof of Lemma 2.2.7 (Hadamard...) ... ...

Duistermaat and Kolk's Lemma 2.2.7 and its proof read as follows:
D&K - 1 -  Lemma 2.2.7 ... ... PART 1 ... .png

D&K - 2 -  Lemma 2.2.7 ... ... PART 2 ... .png

Near to the end of the above text D&K write the following:

" ... ... A direct computation gives ##\| \epsilon_a(h) h^t \|_{ Eucl } = \| \epsilon_a(h) \| \| h \|## , hence##\lim_{ h \rightarrow 0 } \frac{ \| \epsilon_a(h) h^t \|_{ Eucl } }{ \| h \|^2 } = \lim_{ h \rightarrow 0 } \frac{ \| \epsilon_a(h) \| }{ \| h \| } = 0## This shows that ##\phi_a## is continuous at ##a##. ... ... "

My questions are as follows:

Question 1

... how/why does the above show that ##\phi_a## is continuous at ##a##. ... ...?

Can someone please demonstrate explicitly, formally and rigorously that ##\phi_a## is continuous at ##a##. ... ...?Question 2

How/why does the proof of Hadamard's Lemma 2.2.7 imply that ##f## is continuous at ##a## if ##f## is differentiable at ##a## ... ?
Help will be much appreciated ... ...

Peter==========================================================================================

NOTE:

The start of D&K's section on differentiable mappings may help readers of the above post understand the context and notation of the post ... so I am providing the same as follows:
D&K - 1 - Start of Section 2.2 on Differentiable Mappings ... PART 1 ... .png

D&K - 2 - Start of Section 2.2 on Differentiable Mappings ... PART 2 ... .png

The start of D&K's section on linear mappings may also help readers of the above post understand the context and notation of the post ... so I am providing the same as follows:
D&K - 1 -  Linear Mappings ... Start of Section - PART 1.png

D&K - 2 -  Linear Mappings ... Start of Section - PART 2 ... ... .png

D&K - 3 -  Linear Mappings ... Start of Section - PART 3 ... ... .png

Hope the above helps readers understand the context and notation of the post ...

Peter

Attachments

• D&K - 1 -  Lemma 2.2.7 ... ... PART 1 ... .png
    D&K - 1 - Lemma 2.2.7 ... ... PART 1 ... .png
    13.5 KB · Views: 483
  • D&K - 2 -  Lemma 2.2.7 ... ... PART 2 ... .png
    D&K - 2 - Lemma 2.2.7 ... ... PART 2 ... .png
    24 KB · Views: 542
  • D&K - 1 - Start of Section 2.2 on Differentiable Mappings ... PART 1 ... .png
    D&K - 1 - Start of Section 2.2 on Differentiable Mappings ... PART 1 ... .png
    29.9 KB · Views: 365
  • D&K - 2 - Start of Section 2.2 on Differentiable Mappings ... PART 2 ... .png
    D&K - 2 - Start of Section 2.2 on Differentiable Mappings ... PART 2 ... .png
    26.9 KB · Views: 367
  • D&K - 1 -  Linear Mappings ... Start of Section - PART 1.png
    D&K - 1 - Linear Mappings ... Start of Section - PART 1.png
    8.6 KB · Views: 385
  • D&K - 2 -  Linear Mappings ... Start of Section - PART 2 ... ... .png
    D&K - 2 - Linear Mappings ... Start of Section - PART 2 ... ... .png
    33.7 KB · Views: 416
  • D&K - 3 -  Linear Mappings ... Start of Section - PART 3 ... ... .png
    D&K - 3 - Linear Mappings ... Start of Section - PART 3 ... ... .png
    40.3 KB · Views: 402
Physics news on Phys.org
Math Amateur said:
" ... ... A direct computation gives##\| \epsilon_a(h) h^t \|_{ Eucl } = \| \epsilon_a(h) \| \| h \|## , (1)

hence

##\lim_{ h \rightarrow 0 } \frac{ \| \epsilon_a(h) h^t \|_{ Eucl } }{ \| h \|^2 } = \lim_{ h \rightarrow 0 } \frac{ \| \epsilon_a(h) \| }{ \| h \| } = 0## (2)This shows that ##\phi_a## is continuous at ##a##. ... ... "

My questions are as follows:

Question 1

... how/why does the above show that ##\phi_a## is continuous at ##a##. ... ...?
Let ##h=x-a##. With that substitution we have

$$\frac{ \| \epsilon_a(h) h^t \|_{ Eucl } }{ \| h \|^2 }
= \frac{ \| \epsilon_a(x-a) (x-a)^t \|_{ Eucl } }{ \|x-a \|^2 }
=\|\phi_a(x)-\phi_a(a)\|
$$
per the above definition of ##\phi_a(x)##

So what you have quoted shows that the limit as ##x\to a## of ##\|\phi_a(x)-\phi_a(a)\|## is zero, which is one way of defining continuity of ##\phi_a## at ##a##..

Likes Math Amateur
Thanks Andrew ...

Appreciate your help ...

Peter

Related to Multivariable Analysis: Another Question Re: D&K Lemma 2.2.7

1. What is Multivariable Analysis?

Multivariable analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with analyzing functions of multiple variables. It involves studying the behavior of functions with more than one independent variable, and how changes in these variables affect the output.

2. What is D&K Lemma 2.2.7?

D&K Lemma 2.2.7 is a specific lemma (a proven mathematical statement) in Multivariable Analysis that is used to prove the existence of certain types of functions. It is named after the mathematicians De Giorgi and Kazdan, who first published it in their work in 1974.

3. How is D&K Lemma 2.2.7 used in Multivariable Analysis?

D&K Lemma 2.2.7 is often used to prove the existence of weak solutions to certain types of equations in Multivariable Analysis. It provides a way to show that a function satisfying certain conditions exists, even if it cannot be explicitly constructed.

4. What are the conditions for D&K Lemma 2.2.7 to hold?

The conditions for D&K Lemma 2.2.7 to hold vary depending on the specific context in which it is used. Generally, it requires the function in question to be defined on a bounded domain and have certain properties related to its partial derivatives.

5. Are there any other important lemmas in Multivariable Analysis?

Yes, there are many other important lemmas in Multivariable Analysis that are used to prove various results and theorems. Some examples include the Implicit Function Theorem, the Inverse Function Theorem, and the Mean Value Theorem for Multivariable Functions.