Tossing and turning trying to sleep

In summary, GeoMike thinks that the problem is that he is restless and irritated, and that the bed clothing is not the only thing that is contributing to his difficulty falling asleep. He suggests that adjusting the temperature or trying a different sleeping arrangement may help.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
I think I know why I often have to turn two full 360 degree turns over the course of the half hour to one hour before I fall asleep.

(I'm one of those furnaces who never has a problem staying warm - climbing under freezing sheets even in the deep winter, is only a problem for about 30 seconds before I start kicking them off.)

Anyway, when I get ready to sleep, I place as much of my body on cool sheets as possible, but after 10-15 minutes, the sheets under my body warm up and I want to move positions to lie on cool sheets again.

I am not sure if simply turning the temp down will help me, since it cools the parts I don't want cooled but doesn't cool the parts against the sheets.

I was thinking maybe the materials in my sheets or mattress?

Anyone have any advice on how to 'keep me sheets cool'??

Physics news on Phys.org
DaveC426913 said:
I often have to turn two full 360 degree turns over the course of the half hour to one hour before I fall asleep...

Try swallowing a gyroscope.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the same temperature problem at my house. Over the summer, however, I was in a dorm room with it's own thermostat. I always had the temperature quite cold (it was a really comfortable cold, not too cold). It was cold enough that I could be under sheets the entire night without a problem. It really does help. Try it for one night and see what happens.

EDIT: Does anyone know if sleeping on a water bed which is at room temperature is bad for you? If not, that could be a possible solution...

DaveC426913 said:
I think I know why I often have to turn two full 360 degree turns over the course of the half hour to one hour before I fall asleep.

(I'm one of those furnaces who never has a problem staying warm - climbing under freezing sheets even in the deep winter, is only a problem for about 30 seconds before I start kicking them off.)

Anyway, when I get ready to sleep, I place as much of my body on cool sheets as possible, but after 10-15 minutes, the sheets under my body warm up and I want to move positions to lie on cool sheets again.

I am not sure if simply turning the temp down will help me, since it cools the parts I don't want cooled but doesn't cool the parts against the sheets.

I was thinking maybe the materials in my sheets or mattress?

Anyone have any advice on how to 'keep me sheets cool'??
I'm the same way, I usually only cover a small part of my body, I'm always hot. Have you checked out the "chillows" MIH posted about? http://www.asseenontv.com/prod-pages/chillow.html

Rach3 said:
Try swallowing a gyroscope.
This sounds like a good idea at first glance, but what's he supposed to do if it runs down before he falls asleep?

moose said:
EDIT: Does anyone know if sleeping on a water bed which is at room temperature is bad for you? If not, that could be a possible solution...
Yes, water beds that aren't heated help. (who in their right mind would heat a water bed? )

I usually keep the thermostat around 65F in the winter.

I know when I camp I sometimes use a hammock tent. The problem I have is that when it is cold at night I get really chilled on the side pressed against the material. Even with a down sleeping bag it doesn't help because the down is compressed.

It sounds like my problem would be your solution. Although I'm not sure how practical a hammock bed would be... :-p

-GeoMike-

Wait... don't they have those perforated beds or something? Once again, another possibility.

Man, I almost forgot how much better I slept over the summer. In my house, turning the temperature down this time of the year would drive the electricity costs up so much. Living in the desert has its downsides...

tossing and turning trying to sleep
Well stop making salad and steak while you're trying to sleep!

Mk said:
Well stop making salad and steak while you're trying to sleep!
:smile: :biggrin:

Speaking of turning 360*... Do you ever wake up facing the opposite direction of when you went to sleep? I wish I could have a video of me doing that everytime it happens... Maybe it's the aliens!1111one

moose said:
Speaking of turning 360*... Do you ever wake up facing the opposite direction of when you went to sleep? I wish I could have a video of me doing that everytime it happens... Maybe it's the aliens!1111one
You mean like your head at the foot of the bed?

Maybe the bed clothing is just an excuse your using to find something other than yourself to blame for not getting to sleep. Like when your restless and irritated and the slightest thing can become the focus of your irritation.

Try relaxation methods and clearing your head of any thoughts, breathing and stuff. I find that works best, i think the bed sheets are just a scapegoat ;)

I never used to have problems with being too warm when sleeping...I was always the opposite...freezing cold and unable to warm up enough, so my cold feet kept me awake. But, now I have a tiny little generator that shares the bed with me (it's amazing how much heat a little kitten can throw off!), and while most nights I can equilibrate well enough by just kicking off one blanket, other nights (especially if I shower too close to bedtime and my body temperature starts out a bit warmer), I've had to turn the A/C cooler at night. It does help...that is, unless you share the bed with someone else who gets cold faster, in which case, they'll keep you awake by sticking their cold feet on you to warm up. :biggrin:

3trQN said:
Maybe the bed clothing is just an excuse your using to find something other than yourself to blame for not getting to sleep. Like when your restless and irritated and the slightest thing can become the focus of your irritation.

Try relaxation methods and clearing your head of any thoughts, breathing and stuff. I find that works best, i think the bed sheets are just a scapegoat ;)
Yeah, I have some relaxation techniques that work amazingly**. That's not really the problem.

**My best technique: I quell every vocalization in my head. Every one. If I can manage to not hear my own inner voices for any length of time, I'm asleep almost instantly. Unless the sheets are too warm.

This 'keep the room cooler' thing, this is some new fangled space age technology? I sleep in the attic. There are no water-heating radiators in the attic. But even when it's only 68-72, I still have this problem. Of course, with only one tiny window on the whole floor, there's also no circulation.

Maybe ... nah. That's just crazy...

DaveC426913 said:
This 'keep the room cooler' thing, this is some new fangled space age technology? I sleep in the attic. There are no water-heating radiators in the attic. But even when it's only 68-72, I still have this problem. Of course, with only one tiny window on the whole floor, there's also no circulation.

Maybe ... nah. That's just crazy...
I have to have air circulating. I cannot sleep without a fan or a good breeze through open windows, like 40MPH winds, minimum.

zoobyshoe said:
This sounds like a good idea at first glance, but what's he supposed to do if it runs down before he falls asleep?

Well obviously he wouldn't use a wind-up, probably one with a plutonium battery (like the pacemakers). And an RF remote control to turn it off when he gets up, otherwise he'd walk around in circles all day.

Evo said:
I have to have air circulating. I cannot sleep without a fan or a good breeze through open windows, like 40MPH winds, minimum.
I never realized how drafty all the other places I've lived were until I moved into this new place that has really good windows. Yeah, even when it is plenty cold enough, I feel "stuffy" without a fan on now. But, I get cold if it's on all night. I found a fan with a remote control, and love it! I can turn it on, get comfy, fall asleep, and when my cold toes wake me up again, I just push the button on the remote to turn it off, roll over and fall back asleep. If I had to get out of bed to turn it off, that would wake me up too much and I'd never fall back asleep again. I can also adjust the speed control with the remote, so don't have to decide if I want it on high or low before tucking in for the night. :smile:

Rach3 said:
Well obviously he wouldn't use a wind-up, probably one with a plutonium battery (like the pacemakers). And an RF remote control to turn it off when he gets up, otherwise he'd walk around in circles all day.
Yeah, he'd need a remote. He'd never be able to lie down otherwise, because as he leaned toward the bed he'd be deflected 90 degrees. That would be a weird feeling.

Of course, he might have some issues explaining to airport security why he has a nuclear-powered gyroscope inside him.

Rach3 said:
Of course, he might have some issues explaining to airport security why he has a nuclear-powered gyroscope inside him.
He'd have to take Amtrak everywhere, yes.

Rach3 said:
I do not think gyroscopes are specifically prohibited from airplanes.
2-in-1 Conditioner and Rinse, yes, but gyroscopes, no.

DaveC426913 said:
I think they're working on outlawing people on airliners.

DaveC426913 said:
:smile: Yes, conditioner is much more dangerous! (They just haven't realized how much more dangerous it is to let me on without conditioner...I'm sure the static build-up if my hair isn't conditioned would be more than enough to take down a plane!)

What if you have conditoner in your hair on a plane? Shouldn't that be banned as well?

moose said:
I haven't done that since I was about 6-7 yrs old, but I did it quite often, and some times I wake up and feel I was being smothered.

DaveC426913 said:
its good you came to a physics forum, since have a physical solution for you, you could wrap a coil aroud your body, and put big magnets around the bed. so while your spinning you could be used as a generator to provide an dir conditioner with energy

well, about the heat problem... just sleep with underwear... pretty simple.
(the things you learn when living in a place which at summer is 36 celcius degrees day and night with 65-80% moist...)

Last edited:
TuviaDaCat said:
well, about the heat problem... just sleep with underwear... pretty simple.
How would getting dressed up help me stay cooler?:-p

DaveC426913 said:
How would getting dressed up help me stay cooler?:-p
=)))))))))))) :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

good one...

dont use a blanket too... give the air an open route from one side of the house to the other. a small vent could be very helpful, without it, i would have been sunked in my own sweat while sleeping

also you should turn off your hommade nuclear reactor(which most of u physicist probably have).

Last edited:
TuviaDaCat said:
dont use a blanket too... give the air an open route from one side of the house to the other. a small vent could be very helpful, without it, i would have been sunked in my own sweat while sleeping
Yes, I have been thinking of installnig a vent. Living in the attic gets rather warm on sunny summer days.

Physicist? :-p I would have you continue to believe this. :cool:

Related to Tossing and turning trying to sleep

1. Why do I toss and turn when I try to sleep?

There can be several reasons for tossing and turning while trying to sleep. It could be due to stress, anxiety, an uncomfortable sleeping environment, or certain medications. It is important to identify the underlying cause in order to find a solution.

2. How can I prevent tossing and turning at night?

To prevent tossing and turning at night, try to establish a relaxing bedtime routine, create a comfortable sleeping environment, and avoid caffeine and heavy meals close to bedtime. Additionally, practicing relaxation techniques such as deep breathing or meditation can help calm the mind and promote better sleep.

3. Is tossing and turning a sign of a sleep disorder?

Tossing and turning can be a symptom of certain sleep disorders, such as insomnia or sleep apnea. If you consistently have trouble falling or staying asleep, it is recommended to consult a healthcare professional for a proper diagnosis and treatment plan.

4. Can certain foods or drinks affect my ability to sleep?

Yes, certain foods and drinks can affect your ability to sleep. Caffeine, alcohol, and heavy, spicy, or acidic foods can disrupt your sleep and cause tossing and turning. It is best to avoid these substances close to bedtime.

5. How can I improve my sleep quality if I toss and turn frequently?

Improving sleep quality can involve making lifestyle changes such as establishing a regular sleep schedule, exercising regularly, and managing stress. Avoiding electronics before bedtime and creating a comfortable sleeping environment can also help improve sleep quality and reduce tossing and turning.