Torsion Spring Catapult Velocity

In summary, a torsion spring catapult is a type of catapult that uses the stored energy from a twisted spring to launch a projectile. It works by twisting a long piece of rope or cord, known as the torsion spring, and then releasing it to launch the projectile. The velocity of the projectile is directly related to the amount of potential energy stored in the torsion spring, and can be increased by increasing the tension of the spring. Factors such as the tension of the spring, the weight and size of the projectile, and external factors like wind resistance can affect the velocity of a torsion spring catapult.
marietta_ken
I'm trying to design a simple torsion spring catapult to launch a 0.15kg ball at a velocity of 35 m/sec at the moment of separation. The ball will be in direct contact with the unrestrained end of the spring. As a starting point, I'm planning a 0.3m length for that "arm" end of the spring as measured from the center of the torsion coil. I'm also starting with an assumption of 45 degrees of contact/throw for the arm.

Can anyone help me define the torsion spring I need?

Physics news on Phys.org
are you building a pitching machine?

Related to Torsion Spring Catapult Velocity

What is a torsion spring catapult?

A torsion spring catapult is a type of catapult that uses the stored energy from a twisted spring to launch a projectile. It is often used in medieval warfare and is still used in modern times for recreational purposes.

How does a torsion spring catapult work?

A torsion spring catapult works by twisting a long piece of rope or cord, known as the torsion spring, and then releasing it to launch a projectile. The twisted spring stores potential energy, which is converted into kinetic energy when the spring is released and the projectile is launched.

What is the relationship between the torsion spring and the velocity of the projectile?

The velocity of the projectile is directly related to the amount of potential energy stored in the torsion spring. The more the spring is twisted, the more potential energy it has, resulting in a higher velocity of the projectile when released.

How can the velocity of a torsion spring catapult be increased?

The velocity of a torsion spring catapult can be increased by increasing the tension of the torsion spring. This can be achieved by using a stronger or longer spring, or by twisting the spring more before releasing it.

What are some factors that can affect the velocity of a torsion spring catapult?

The velocity of a torsion spring catapult can be affected by various factors such as the tension of the spring, the weight and size of the projectile, the angle at which the catapult is launched, and external factors such as wind resistance. These factors should be taken into consideration when designing and using a torsion spring catapult.