Torque Required to turn a wheel

In summary, the conversation discusses the weight capabilities of a particular motor and wheel setup, with an electric motor producing 6000 ft-lb of torque and driving 44" wheels at a maximum of 2RPM. It is mentioned that the limitations will be in the inertial of the wheels and the load ratings of the bearings. The formula for calculating weight based on torque and other variables is also provided. The individual is aiming for a weight capacity of 100,000 lbs.
lysolmax
Hello,

I am trying to figure out how much weight a particular motor/wheel setup can handle.

I have an electric motor that puts out 6000ft*lb of torque, and is driving 44" wheels and needs to reach a maximum of 2RPM. Acceleration doesn't really matter so long as the wheels are able to get up to speed in a reasonable amount of time.

How much weight am I capable of handling on this setup?

Engineering news on Phys.org
You limitations will be in the inertial of whatever wheel you are accelerating, and the load ratings for the bearings supporting the wheel. 6000 ft-lb of torque sounds like a lot, are you sure you're right on your number there?

Rolling Resistance + ma = Driving Force​
[tex]R_r W + \lambda W \frac{a}{g} \le \frac{T}{r}[/tex]
[tex]W \le \frac{T}{\left(R_r +\lambda\ ^a/_g \right) r}[/tex]
Where:
In any cases, the Driving Force will not exceed the available friction force (##\mu W##), thus:
[tex]W \le \frac{\mu W}{R_r +\lambda \ ^a/_g}[/tex]
Or:
[tex]R_r +\lambda \ ^a/_g \le \mu[/tex]

Where ##\mu## is the tire-road friction coefficient.

EDIT: Added mass factor.

Mech_Engineer said:
You limitations will be in the inertial of whatever wheel you are accelerating, and the load ratings for the bearings supporting the wheel. 6000 ft-lb of torque sounds like a lot, are you sure you're right on your number there?

Yeah it should be. The mass value I'm hoping to get is somewhere around 100,000 lbs

Related to Torque Required to turn a wheel

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that can cause an object to rotate about an axis. It is typically measured in Newton-meters (Nm) or foot-pounds (ft-lb).

2. How is torque related to turning a wheel?

The torque required to turn a wheel is determined by the amount of force needed to overcome the resistance or friction between the wheel and the surface it is rolling on.

3. What factors affect the torque required to turn a wheel?

The torque required to turn a wheel is affected by the diameter of the wheel, the weight of the object on the wheel, the type of surface the wheel is rolling on, and the coefficient of friction between the wheel and the surface.

4. How can I calculate the torque required to turn a wheel?

The torque required to turn a wheel can be calculated by multiplying the force needed to overcome the resistance or friction by the radius of the wheel. This can be expressed as T = F x r, where T is torque, F is force, and r is the radius of the wheel.

5. Can torque be increased to make turning a wheel easier?

Yes, torque can be increased by using a larger wheel or by applying a greater force to the wheel. Additionally, using a surface with a lower coefficient of friction can also reduce the torque required to turn a wheel.