Torque required to shear titanium

In summary, to determine the torque required to shear the Ti64 plate, you will need to calculate the shear stress, shear strength, and use the formula for torque.
Farrell1
Hi,

I am trying to workout how much torque from a motor is required to shear Ti64 plate.

I have an upper platen which is rotated by a motor. The upper platen is compressed against titanium plate at 19kN.

I am simulating sliding during forming process and need a motor to be able to turn the upper platen agaisnt the titanium whilst heavily loaded. For worst case scenario I think it best to determine the torque required to shear the plate (ie the platen is completely fixed to the titanium plate).

The shear modulus of the Ti64 is 42GPa.

Any guidence would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
To calculate the torque required to shear the plate, you will need to calculate the shear stress on the plate using the equation: Shear Stress = Force/Area. Once you have this value, you can calculate the shear strength of the material (Shear Strength = Shear Stress x Shear Modulus). Then you can use this value to calculate the torque required to shear the titanium plate. The formula for torque is T=F.r, where F is the force and r is the radius of the platen. So, for your case, the force F would be equal to the shear strength of the material, and the radius r would be equal to the distance from the center of the platen to the point at which the force is applied.

Related to Torque required to shear titanium

What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the rotational force applied to an object, resulting in its rotation.

What is titanium?

Titanium is a chemical element with the symbol Ti and atomic number 22. It is a strong, lightweight, and corrosion-resistant metal commonly used in aerospace and industrial applications.

What is shear strength?

Shear strength is the maximum amount of force that can be applied parallel to the surface of a material before it breaks or deforms.

Why is torque required to shear titanium?

Torque is required to shear titanium because it is a strong and tough metal that requires a significant amount of force to be applied in order to cause deformation or breakage. The torque applied helps to overcome the material's resistance to shear stress.

How is the torque required to shear titanium calculated?

The torque required to shear titanium can be calculated using the formula: Torque = Force x Distance. The force can be determined by the shear strength of titanium and the distance is the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied.