Torque problem involving rolling disk stopped by a force

Nm27.13 = torque = F r sin 90 F =27.13/ (0.483) F =56.17 Newtons = Frictional force The wheel slows down from 71.9 rev/min to 0 rev/min in 6.54 seconds, soω = 71.9 rev/min x 2π/60 s/min = 7.53 rad/sα = ω/t = 7.53 rad/s / 6.54 s = 1.15 rad/s²The torque slowing the
xregina12
A potter has a stone disk of radius 0.483 m and mass 101 kg rotating at 71.9 rev/min. The potter stops the wheel in 6.54 seconds by applying a wet towel against the rim with a radially inward force of 103 N. Find the effective coefficient of kinetic friction between the whell and the wet towel.
my work
angular velocity= 71.9 x 2 x pi /60seconds=7.53
alpha =7.53 / 6.54=1.15
Torque=alpha x I = 1.15 x (101) x (.483^2) =27.13 N-M
27.13 = torque = F r sin 90
F =27.13/ (0.483)
F =56.17 Newtons = Frictional force
56.2 = u Fn
u=56.2 / (103) ----> 103 is given as the radially inward force, Fn
u=.545

why is this wrong? does anyone know why? thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi xregina12! :smile:

(have an alpha: α and an omega: ω and a mu: µ and a squared: ² :wink:)
xregina12 said:
A potter has a stone disk of radius 0.483 m and mass 101 kg

Torque=alpha x I = 1.15 x (101) x (.483^2)

I = mr2/2 …

see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_moments_of_inertia :smile:

There are a few potential issues with your work that may have led to an incorrect answer. Here are a few things to consider:

1. Make sure you are using the correct units throughout your calculations. In this problem, the radius is given in meters, but you used centimeters in your calculation of torque. This may have led to an incorrect value for torque and therefore an incorrect value for frictional force.

2. When calculating torque, it is important to use the correct value for the moment of inertia (I). In this problem, the disk is rotating about its center, so you should use the formula for a solid disk rotating about its center, which is I = 1/2 * m * r^2. You used the formula for a solid disk rotating about its edge, which would be correct if the disk was rotating about its edge, but not in this case.

3. Your calculation for the frictional force (F) is incorrect. The torque equation you used assumes that the force is acting at a right angle to the radius of the disk, but in this problem, the force is acting at an angle of 90 degrees to the radius. This means that you need to use the formula F = torque / (r * sin(theta)), where theta is the angle between the force and the radius. In this case, theta = 90 degrees, so sin(theta) = 1. Using this formula, you should get a value of F = 27.13 N, which is the same as the torque you calculated.

Overall, it's important to carefully consider the given information and use the correct formulas and units in your calculations. Double-checking your work and making sure it is consistent with the given information can also help catch any potential errors.

Related to Torque problem involving rolling disk stopped by a force

What is torque?

Torque is a physical quantity that measures the rotational force applied to an object. It is calculated as the product of the force and the distance from the pivot or axis of rotation.

What is a rolling disk?

A rolling disk is a circular object that rotates around its center as it moves along a surface. It has both linear and rotational motion.

How is torque related to a rolling disk?

In the case of a rolling disk, torque is involved because there is a force acting on the disk that causes it to rotate. This force creates a torque that affects the disk's motion.

What happens when a rolling disk is stopped by a force?

When a rolling disk is stopped by a force, the force acts opposite to the direction of motion and causes the disk to slow down and eventually come to a stop. This force also creates a torque that opposes the rotational motion of the disk.

How can I calculate the torque in a problem involving a rolling disk stopped by a force?

To calculate the torque in this type of problem, you will need to know the magnitude and direction of the force, as well as the distance from the pivot or axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied. You can then use the formula for torque, which is torque = force x distance.