Why Is the Coefficient of Kinetic Friction Calculation Off by a Factor of 2?

In summary: It looks like you should research this a bit more and find out what the specific scenarios are that would require it.
Leeoku

Homework Statement

A potter's wheel—a thick stone disk with a radius of 0.450 m and a mass of 128 kg—is freely rotating at 52.0 rev/min. The potter can stop the wheel in 5.95 s by pressing a wet rag against the rim and exerting a radially inward force of 82.0 N. Calculate the effective coefficient of kinetic friction between the wheel and the rag.

Homework Equations

f_k = mu_k N
Torque = I*alpha (angular acceleration)= F*D

The Attempt at a Solution

I got most of it except i don't know why it is off by a factor of 2
Convert revs/min to angular accelearation
alpha = 52*2pi/60/5.95
=.915 s
Using Torque = I*alpha = F*d
F = I*alpha/d
= m(r^2)alpha/d
= 128kg*(.45m^2)*.915rads/s^2
--------------------------------------
.45 m
= 52.7 N
f_k = mu_k N
52.7 = 82mu_k
.64 = u

Correct answer is 0.321

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Check your moment of inertia.

oh there it is, i just noticed from my textbook I for disk = mr^2/2. thx!

Random side question, is it important to know centre of mass for moment of inertia questions? My prof didn't teach it yet and my test is 2moro and I'm scared of torque questions that might include it. What scenarios would require Centre of mass in torques

In scenarios that involves simple rotation about a fixed axis where only torques are interesting, the center of mass can usually be ignored. The center of mass becomes important when you have free rotation or need to know the bearing forces resulting from a rotation axis that do not pass through the center of mass. And for the general combined translational and rotational dynamics of rigid bodies, the center of mass is certainly a very important concept.

If you haven't been taught about center of mass yet it seems strange that your professor would give a test that requires such knowledge.

Hello,

Thank you for providing the problem and your solution attempt. I see that you have correctly used the equation for torque, which is Torque = I*alpha = F*d. However, there are a few mistakes in your calculations that have led to the incorrect answer.

Firstly, when converting revolutions per minute to radians per second, you have multiplied by 2pi/60 but have not multiplied by the number of revolutions (52). This should give you an angular acceleration of 5.43 rad/s^2.

Secondly, the mass and radius of the wheel should be used to calculate the moment of inertia (I), not just the radius. The moment of inertia for a solid disk is given by I = (1/2)*m*r^2. This gives you a moment of inertia of 5.76 kg*m^2.

Using these corrected values, the force (F) needed to stop the wheel can be calculated as:

F = I*alpha/d
= (5.76 kg*m^2)*(5.43 rad/s^2)/0.45 m
= 69.3 N

Finally, using the equation for kinetic friction, f_k = mu_k*N, the coefficient of kinetic friction can be calculated as:

mu_k = f_k/N
= 69.3 N/82 N
= 0.844

This is the effective coefficient of kinetic friction between the wheel and the rag. However, since this is a rotating system, the effective coefficient of kinetic friction is actually half of this value. This is because the force is applied at the rim of the wheel, but the frictional force acts at the center of the wheel, which is half the radius away. Therefore, the correct answer is:

mu_k = 0.844/2 = 0.422

I hope this helps clarify the solution and the factor of 2 difference. Keep up the good work in your studies!

Related to Why Is the Coefficient of Kinetic Friction Calculation Off by a Factor of 2?

What is a torque potters wheel?

A torque potters wheel is a type of pottery wheel that uses a motorized system to spin the wheel head, allowing for a smoother and more consistent rotation. It is commonly used by professional potters as it requires less physical effort compared to traditional kick wheels.

How does a torque potters wheel work?

A torque potters wheel works by using a motor to rotate the wheel head, which is attached to a shaft. This creates a spinning motion that allows the potter to shape and mold the clay on the wheel head into various forms.

What are the benefits of using a torque potters wheel?

Some benefits of using a torque potters wheel include: reduced physical effort required, more consistent and precise rotation, ability to work with larger and heavier pieces of clay, and the option to control the speed and direction of rotation.

Can beginners use a torque potters wheel?

Yes, beginners can use a torque potters wheel. While it may take some practice to get used to the motorized system and speed control, it can be a great tool for beginners to create more consistent and professional-looking pottery pieces.

What are some maintenance tips for a torque potters wheel?

To ensure the longevity and proper functioning of a torque potters wheel, it is important to regularly clean and lubricate the moving parts, check for any loose or worn out components, and follow the manufacturer's instructions for maintenance and repair. It is also recommended to cover the wheel when not in use to prevent dust and debris from getting into the motor and other mechanisms.