Torque on lead screw based on psi

In summary, the conversation discusses the construction of a precision fluid-dispensing machine using a lead screw to push down the plunger in a syringe. The amount of torque needed to create 1.5+ psi in the syringe cylinder is calculated using lead screw equations, taking into account the cross-section of the syringe and friction values. The discussion also mentions the use of a stepper motor with an Arduino for accurate dosing and the need to experimentally determine the normal force and friction coefficient between the materials.
Aaron Holwick
So in a cnc machine, the screw that drives the x,y,z axiis are called "lead screws". I am constructing a machine that displences fluid at percise volumes. It will be essencially a seringe with one way valves coming in and going out. To open the "check valve" it requires at least 1.5 psi. If I am using a motor, with a lead screw to push down the plunger in the syringe, how much torque will I need to create 1.5+ psi in the syringe cylinder?

Engineering news on Phys.org
From the threading of the screw you can calculate axial force from torque, but in order to know the value of pressure inside of the syringe, caused by that screw pushing the piston of the syringe, you have to take into account the cross-section of that syringe...

Lead screw equations can be found on Wikipedia (or a google search).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leadscrew#Mechanics
If you don't know the friction values you won't get accurate results, that'll include the screw friction and the plunger friction. Getting theses values via experiment should be straight forward.

Likes Aaron Holwick
billy_joule said:
Lead screw equations can be found on Wikipedia (or a google search).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leadscrew#Mechanics
If you don't know the friction values you won't get accurate results, that'll include the screw friction and the plunger friction. Getting theses values via experiment should be straight forward.
Thanks billy for the link! I think I have it solved! I used the square lead screw because it seems the most efficient.. The axial torque seems to be .184 kg*cm.. Seems low but math doesn't lie! Hopefully it works..

where did you get data for plunger friction?

billy_joule said:
where did you get data for plunger friction?
Oh heck! I didn't factor that in! It'll just be silicone on polyethylene.. sound be easy to find.. :confused:

Finding a friction coefficient for those materials may be easy but getting the normal force will not be. Probably easier and more accurate to do it experimentally.
I'm guessing you are using a stepper motor to get accurate dosing? Or a motor with an encoder?

billy_joule said:
Finding a friction coefficient for those materials may be easy but getting the normal force will not be. Probably easier and more accurate to do it experimentally.
I'm guessing you are using a stepper motor to get accurate dosing? Or a motor with an encoder?
A stepper motor with an Arduino

Related to Torque on lead screw based on psi

1. What is a lead screw and how does it work?

A lead screw is a type of mechanical screw that is used to convert rotational motion into linear motion. It consists of a threaded shaft (the screw) and a nut with matching threads. When the screw is rotated, the nut moves along the threads, causing linear motion.

2. How does psi affect the torque on a lead screw?

Psi (pounds per square inch) is a unit of measurement for pressure. In the context of a lead screw, the amount of psi applied to the screw can affect the amount of torque required to rotate it. Higher psi means there is more pressure on the screw, resulting in a higher torque requirement.

3. What factors can impact the torque on a lead screw based on psi?

The torque on a lead screw based on psi can be affected by a few different factors. These include the diameter and pitch of the screw, the coefficient of friction between the screw and nut, and the amount of pressure or force being applied to the screw.

4. Can you calculate the torque on a lead screw based on psi?

Yes, the torque on a lead screw can be calculated by multiplying the pressure (in psi) by the effective area of the screw (determined by the screw's diameter) and the coefficient of friction. The resulting value is the torque required to overcome the pressure on the lead screw.

5. How can I minimize the torque required on a lead screw based on psi?

To minimize the torque required on a lead screw, you can try reducing the pressure or force applied to the screw, using a screw with a larger diameter or smaller pitch, and choosing a lower coefficient of friction between the screw and nut. Additionally, ensuring proper lubrication and maintenance of the lead screw can also help reduce the required torque.