Torque multiple choice question needing explanation

In summary, the conversation discussed whether two forces of equal magnitude on an object that is hinged at a pivot will produce equal torque. The equation T=rxF was used to explain that a greater distance from the point of rotation equals a greater torque. However, it was clarified that this equation is not simply "distance multiplied by force" and that it involves a vector cross-product. Therefore, the correct answer to the question is false.
wolk

Homework Statement

If two forces of equal magnitude act on an object that is hinged at a pivot, the force acting farther from the pivot must produce the greater torque about the pivot.

a. False
b. unable to decide without knowing shape of object
c. True

Homework Equations

T=rxF

The Attempt at a Solution

My logic told me that a greater distance r from the point of rotation equals a greater torque. The above equation makes this obvious. So I selected true and got marked incorrect, the answer is false. I feel that I was right or the question is misleading at best. Anyone care to weigh in?

thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums.

The expression "r x F" is not simply "distance multiplied times force". Do you see what the difference is?

uh, Obviously not. Does it have to do with it being a vector cross-product equation?

I think I get it now. Thank you for your generous and abundant guidance.

I would agree with your logic and explanation that a greater distance from the point of rotation does indeed result in a greater torque, as shown by the equation T=rxF. However, in this case, the question is specifically asking about two forces of equal magnitude acting on the object. In this scenario, the distance from the pivot point is the same for both forces, therefore the torque produced by each force would be equal. So, in this particular case, the statement is false. It is important to pay attention to the specific conditions and variables given in a question before determining the correct answer.

Related to Torque multiple choice question needing explanation

1. What is torque and how is it defined?

Torque is a measure of the rotational force applied to an object. It is defined as the product of the force and the distance from the pivot point.

2. How is torque calculated?

Torque is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the pivot point. The formula for torque is T = F * d, where T is torque, F is force, and d is distance.

3. What is the unit of measurement for torque?

The unit of measurement for torque is Newton-meters (Nm) in the SI system. In the imperial system, it is measured in foot-pounds (ft-lb).

4. How does the direction of the applied force affect torque?

The direction of the applied force affects torque as it determines the direction of the rotation. If the force is applied perpendicular to the object, it will create the maximum torque. If the force is applied at an angle, the torque will be less.

5. How is torque different from force?

Torque and force are related, but they are not the same thing. While force is a measure of the push or pull applied to an object, torque is a measure of the rotational force applied to an object. In other words, torque is force applied at a distance from the pivot point, while force can be applied at any point on the object.