Moment of Torque; Am I solving this correctly?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of torque in a metal rod with a fixed disc at its center and two normal forces applied at each end. The torque of the couple is calculated to be 2700, and it is mentioned that the disc also produces an equal torque in the opposite direction. The calculation of the tension in the rope is also discussed, with the final answer being 2700/24. The importance of stating units is also emphasized.
vinci

Homework Statement

A metal rod of length 90cm has a disc of radius 24cm fixed rigidly at its centre(refer to picture attached). The assembly is pivoted at it's centre.
Two forces, each of magnitude 30N, are applied normal to the rod at each end so as to produce a turning effect on rod. A rope is attached to the edge of the disc to prevent rotation
1-Calculate the torque of couple produced by the 30N forces
2-the tension T in the rope
ametalrod.png

Homework Equations

Torque= moment arm * force applied perpendicular to pivot
torque of couple=distance between two forces * one of the force
(I assume the above equations will be relevant)

The Attempt at a Solution

For the rod the torque of couple would be
30 * 90 =2700

Now since the rotation is to be prevented by the disc in center it has to produce an equal torque in the opposite direction(anti-clockwise direction) so the torque produced by disc should also be 2700
and since
torque=moment arm*force applied
=radius*tension in string
2700= 24 * T
T=2700/24Have I solved the above numerical correctly? Since the book doesn't provide answer to these questions and I have no tutor I have no other way to confirm my calculations.

Physics news on Phys.org
That looks real good. Well done.

That's all fine, except that you really should state the units everywhere.

Thanks, everybody. That's a relief.
Secondly, I'll make sure to mention the units from here on.

Related to Moment of Torque; Am I solving this correctly?

1. What is moment of torque?

Moment of torque, also known as torque or simply moment, is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. It is often represented by the symbol "τ" and is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied.

2. How do you calculate moment of torque?

To calculate moment of torque, you need to know the force applied to an object and the distance between the point where the force is applied and the axis of rotation. The formula for calculating torque is τ = F x r, where "F" is the force in newtons and "r" is the distance in meters.

3. What is the unit of measurement for moment of torque?

The unit of measurement for moment of torque is the newton-meter (N∙m). This unit is derived from the units of force (N) and distance (m) used in the formula for calculating torque.

4. How does moment of torque affect rotational motion?

Moment of torque is directly proportional to the rotational motion of an object. This means that the greater the torque, the greater the rotational motion of the object. Conversely, if the torque is decreased, the rotational motion will also decrease.

5. How can I tell if I am solving a moment of torque problem correctly?

To ensure that you are solving a moment of torque problem correctly, make sure that you are using the correct formula and units of measurement. Also, double check your calculations and make sure they are consistent with the given scenario. If possible, check your answer against a known solution or ask a peer or instructor for feedback.