Torque friction on a rotating disk

In summary, a uniform horizontal disk of mass M and radius R is rotating about its vertical axis with an angular velocity \omega. When it is placed on a horizontal surface, the coefficient of kinetic friction between the disk and the surface is \mu_k. Find a) the torque \tau exerted by the force of friction on a circular element of radius r with width dr. Let the element has a mass of dm. d\tau=f_{friction}r=\mudm\ gr d\tau=\frac{2M\mu g}{R^2}r^2dr b) the total torque exerted by friction on the disk Integrating, \tau=\frac{2
kudoushinichi88
A uniform horizontal disk of mass M and radius R is rotating about its vertical axis with an angular velocity [itex]\omega[/itex]. When it is placed on a horizontal surface, the coefficient of kinetic friction between the disk and the surface is [itex]\mu_k[/itex].Find

a)the torque [itex]\tau[/itex] exerted by the force of friction on a circular element of radius r with width dr.

Let the element has a mass of dm.

[tex]
\frac{dm}{M}=\frac{\pi(r+dr)^2-\pi r^2}{\piR^2}[/tex]

[tex]dm=\frac{2M}{R^2}rdr[/tex]

The torque is provided by the frictional force, therefore

[tex]
d\tau=f_{friction}r=\mudm\ gr[/tex]

[tex]d\tau=\frac{2M\mu g}{R^2}r^2dr[/tex]

b)the total torque exerted by friction on the disk

Integrating,

[tex]\tau=\frac{2M\mu g}{R^2}\int_{0}^{R}r^2dr[/tex]

gives us

[tex]\tau=\frac{2}{3}M\mu gR[/tex]
c)the total time required to bring the disk to a halt.

[tex]\tau=I\alpha[/tex]

Since disk is decelerating,

[tex]\alpha=-\frac{\tau}{I}=-\frac{4\mu g}{3R}[/tex]

[tex]\omega=\omega_0+\alpha t[/tex]

[tex]t=\frac{3R\omega}{4\mu g}[/tex]

Can someone check my work? I don't have solutions to this question...

Likes Aaron John Sabu
Physics news on Phys.org
Every line looks great to me!

Thanks! I'm not sure of my work because I'm not sure if I understand how torques work on surfaces right...

No problem with the physics.

I have a question, how was the 1/2 in

[tex] \frac{dm}{M}=\frac{\pi(r+dr)^2-\pi r^2}{\piR^2} [/tex]

obtained?

And by the way, this is the dm for a circular ring? If i am not wrong?

And how did you simplify to the step below of the first?

Oh, that is a typo.. the 2 should have been the total area of the circle, [tex]\pi R^2[/tex].

To simplify the equation, you must realize that dr^2 is so small that it could effectively be taken aa 0.

Yeah got it.

I'm having trouble adapting this calculation to solve my problem. Instead of the mass of the disc acting as friction source, I have an axial force applied to a hollow shaft and the mass can be neglected. Here's an illustration...coffee cup upside down on desk (assumed wall thickness) and pressed down with some force, how much torque is required to 'break' static friction?

Any takers? I'll try to tackle it myself and post what I come up with.

Related to Torque friction on a rotating disk

1. What is torque friction on a rotating disk?

Torque friction on a rotating disk refers to the force that resists the motion of a disk as it rotates due to the friction between the disk and the surface it is rotating on.

2. How is torque friction calculated?

Torque friction can be calculated by multiplying the coefficient of friction between the disk and surface by the normal force acting on the disk.

3. What factors can affect torque friction on a rotating disk?

The factors that can affect torque friction on a rotating disk include the coefficient of friction, normal force, rotational speed of the disk, and the properties of the surface the disk is rotating on.

4. How does torque friction impact the performance of a rotating disk?

Torque friction can reduce the speed and efficiency of a rotating disk, as it requires additional energy to overcome the force of friction and maintain the rotation.

5. How can torque friction on a rotating disk be reduced?

To reduce torque friction on a rotating disk, one can use lubricants to decrease the coefficient of friction, increase the normal force acting on the disk, or use a smoother surface for the disk to rotate on.