Torque/ find the coefficient of friction

In summary: The direction of the frictional force is normal to the surface of the grindstone. So theta is the angle between the force and the normal. And the torque is 11.9rad/s^2.
Mdhiggenz

Homework Statement

A grindstone in the shape of a solid disk with diameter 0.520m and a mass of 50.0kg is rotating at 800rev/min . You press an ax against the rim with a normal force of 160N, and the grindstone comes to rest in 8.50s .
Find the coefficient of kinetic friction between the ax and the grindstone.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The concept of torque has been giving me a lot of problems, mostly UNDERSTANDING what the equation means, and when to use them.

So here is how I started out,

I=1/2MR^2

850rev/min= 85pi rad/3s

So my logic is I have the inertia, and I have enough information to solve for acceleration which means I can find the torque.

I solve for the acceleration

wz-woZ/t=-11.9rad/s^2

Here is where I get a bit confused, where I was going with this problem is I was going to solve for the torque using Ʃτz= Iαz

Then when I acquired the torque I was going to use

ƩFext=Macm

to find the coefficient of friction.

The solution manual sets Ʃτz= μkNR=Iαz, and solves for μk.

How do we know when to stay at Ʃτz=Iaz or when we have to switch over to ƩFext=Macm?

Thank you

Higgenz

Physics news on Phys.org
In the problem statement, you say it is originally rotating at 800rev/min, but in the attempt at the solution, you are using 850rev/min... was this a typing error?

About the torque: the torque is due to a force at the rim of the grindstone. There is an equation to calculate the torque due to a force at a point, but the equation is not ƩFext=Macm

Typing error is is originally 850 rev/min and 7.50s apologies for that.

good, I get the same answer of 11.9rad/s^2 for the angular acceleration.

So now you can go to the next step, "I was going to solve for the torque using Ʃτz= Iαz" And then after that, what equation relates torque to the force and the position that force is applied at?

the lever arm R?

yep, and generally it also involves the angle between the force and the lever arm, but this case happens to be simple, because of what?

Edit: and so, what is the equation between torque and applied force? You've already got a big clue, since you've seen the solution manual

Would it be because we are dealing with angular, and not a mix between angular and linear motion, and the equation bewteen torque and applied force would be torque= FR

You are right that it is simpler because it's purely angular motion. But I was talking about the general equation between force and torque:
[tex]torque = RF sin(\theta)[/tex]
And you're right that we can use the simpler version torque=FR, but why are we allowed to say this? (I'm just trying to make sure you've thought through each step properly).

And then what is the next step?

That is where I get a big confused there are so many equations that can give you the same exact thing.

Torque=FL
Torque=RF

I also don't understand why they use sin(theta) on some problems it would require you to find another angle, when it would be easier to use cos theta instead.

I'm not sure what you mean about finding another angle... But in this problem, we have the equation torque = RF sin(theta), or you might know it better as Force times perpendicular distance. Anyway, the question tells us that there is a frictional force at the rim. So what is the direction of the frictional force, and therefore what is theta? (and so what is the torque?)

Related to Torque/ find the coefficient of friction

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the twisting force that can cause an object to rotate about an axis. It is usually represented by the symbol "τ" and is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation.

2. How is torque related to the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the resistance to motion between two surfaces in contact. Torque is directly related to the coefficient of friction because it is one of the factors that determines the amount of friction between two surfaces. As torque increases, so does the friction between the two surfaces.

3. How do you calculate torque?

Torque is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation. The formula for torque is τ = F x d, where τ is torque, F is the force applied, and d is the perpendicular distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied.

4. What is the coefficient of friction and how is it measured?

The coefficient of friction is a unitless value that represents the amount of friction between two surfaces. It is usually denoted by the symbol "μ" and can be measured by dividing the force of friction between two surfaces by the normal force between them. The resulting value is a ratio and can range from 0 (no friction) to 1 (maximum friction).

5. How can you find the coefficient of friction experimentally?

To find the coefficient of friction experimentally, you can perform a simple experiment called the "inclined plane experiment." This involves measuring the height and length of an inclined plane, placing an object on the plane, and gradually increasing the angle of the plane until the object begins to slide. By measuring the angle at which the object starts to slide and using the formula μ = tanθ, you can calculate the coefficient of friction between the object and the surface of the plane.