Torque and Force Equilibrium in a Rotating Plank

In summary, the Second problem I didn't understand how I solved either It just popped up the solution. I solved the problem by taking the weight of the person holding the object (5 kg), their arm's mass (9.82 kg), and the distance between the bicepsmuscle and the object (33 cm). I then used the Pythagorean theorem to find the distance M (the turn-able plank's mass) from the point of rotation.
Izekid
I have soluted these so but I need an explanation of what I've done.
An even 2,23m long plank is turn-able around its one end. The plank is hold up in an horisontial way with a vertical upp-force on 268 N The force works at 1,52 from the turn-able point. Decide the planks mass.

What I did was I took 268(The force)*1,52(to the turning spot)/2,23(the plank lenght)=182,67

Then I took 268*0,71(the rest of the plank)=190,28

Then I added these too together 182,67+190,28=372,4=37,4kg

Why did I do this? Ppl who didn't understand my English please look at the pic I drow.

The Second problem I didn't understand how I solved either It just popped up the solution

The problem was: Ulla holds a 5kg heavy thing in her hand , with her underarm horisontial. The bicepsmuscle is fastened in the underarm with 3cm from the elbow. The thing is 33cm from the bicepsmuscle.

a) Decide the up-force on the elbowbone from the bicepsmuscle
b)Decide the down-force on the overarmbone by the elbow. Don't take with the weight of the arm

a) I took 5(the weight)*9,82(the acceleration)*33(the distance) / 3(The other distance) = 540N that's ok I understand that

b)Took 540-49,8(5*9,82)=490 why did I do that? don't understand why but it was right... please explain

Regarding Ize

Attachments

• PLANK.JPG
    PLANK.JPG
    4.9 KB · Views: 361
  • ArmProblem.JPG
    ArmProblem.JPG
    6 KB · Views: 412
Physics news on Phys.org
Please, please do explain. I've got no idea why you've done what you've done, and the attachments are not working (yet, as they haven't been approved).

The moment of force must equal 0 to keep the Planck from rotating.
[tex]\mathbf{M} = \mathbf{r} \times \mathbf{F} = \mathbf{0}[/tex]
Can you find the two forces and their distances from the point of rotation?
Remember that the force mg can be drawn from the center of mass.

Last edited:
:(

As this is hard swedish words it is really hard to translate, maybe you know Swedish(though you are from Finland) then I maybe can write this in swedish, or maybe that isn't allowed. Can't translate any better sorry... so I hope the Pictures will be allowed soon

Is the Planck supposed to be "fatter", as in the picture (I can see them now)? If so, I don't think the mass can be determined, as we won't be able to find the center of mass.

I did understand what you meant in the problem, it's your calculations that are confusing, as you don't explain them anywhere. Although the answer in #1 is close to the correct one, I'm unsure about your method.

nope... its just because the text didnt fit into the plank ... so it even all over the place... well tell me how to do then... don't care about my calculations

[tex]|\mathbf{M}| = |\mathbf{r} \times \mathbf{F}|[/tex]
[tex]= |\mathbf{r}||\mathbf{F}|\sin\theta = 0[/tex]
As [itex]\theta[/itex] is 90o (for both forces), [itex]\sin 90^o = 1[/itex], we can write the equation: M = Fr.
There is a force (F) applied 1,52 m from the non-moving end. This force (magnitude 268 N) generates a torque of: 268 N * 1,52 m = 407,36 Nm.

The Planck's weight causes a torque to the opposite direction. The center of mass is located at the center of the (supposedly homogenous) Planck, so r for the plack's weight is 2,23 m / 2 = 1,115 m. Now, can you determine how much the Planck must weigh in order to cancel F's effect?

Last edited:

Related to Torque and Force Equilibrium in a Rotating Plank

1. What are the best strategies for tackling difficult homework problems?

There are several strategies that can help with difficult homework problems. First, break the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts. Next, try to relate the problem to something you already understand. Additionally, don't be afraid to ask for help from a teacher or classmate. Finally, take breaks when needed to prevent burnout.

2. How can I stay motivated when working on challenging homework problems?

Motivation can be a struggle when faced with difficult homework problems. One way to stay motivated is to set a goal for yourself, such as completing a certain number of problems in a specific amount of time. Additionally, try to find a study partner or group to work with. Having someone else to bounce ideas off of can help keep you motivated.

3. How can I make sure I am understanding the material when working on challenging homework problems?

It's important to regularly check for understanding while working on difficult homework problems. One way to do this is to explain the problem and your approach to someone else. If you can effectively explain it to someone else, it's a good sign that you understand the material. You can also try to find additional resources, such as online tutorials or practice problems, to reinforce your understanding.

4. What should I do if I am stuck on a difficult homework problem?

First, take a step back and try to approach the problem from a different angle. If that doesn't work, don't be afraid to ask for help from a teacher or classmate. It's also helpful to take a break and come back to the problem with a fresh perspective. Finally, if needed, seek out additional resources such as textbooks or online tutorials.

5. How can I use my mistakes on difficult homework problems to improve?

Making mistakes on difficult homework problems can actually be a valuable learning opportunity. Take the time to review your mistakes and try to understand where you went wrong. This can help you identify any gaps in your understanding and work towards improving in those areas. Additionally, don't be afraid to ask for feedback from a teacher or classmate on how you can improve your approach to similar problems in the future.