Torque and Angular Momentum Vector Question.

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of understanding torque in Physics II and the significance of the direction of torque and angular momentum in determining the axis of rotation. The conversation also touches on the symbolic nature of the arrow representing the direction of spin and the relevance of torque being a tensor.
sdefresco
Hello. I'm currently entering into a Physics II class at the start of my third semester at UCONN (my first semester was introductory modern physics - kinetic theory, hard-sphere atoms, electricity and magnetism, scattering, special relativity, Bohr model, etc), and finished Physics I off with torque and angular momentum before icing it with pendula, harmonic motion, and the wave equation. Of all of this, figuring torque out was the hardest of all.

I understand why its vector points in or out of the page (z axis) mathematically as a cross-product, but is this arrow simply symbolic of the spin-direction, or is it something more than simply a way of telling spin. As in, can there be any reflection of this defined vector more directly.

I also understand torque is too a tensor, so I accept that may be relevant to my question.

Physics news on Phys.org
In simple words, the direction of the torque and of the angular momentum give us the direction of the axis of rotation. So in your example with the page, the torque is such that the axis of rotation (the rotation that will happen if that torque is the total torque acting on the body) will be vertical to the plane of the page. Whether it is in or out of the page give us info on whether it is clockwise or counter-clockwise rotation.

Related to Torque and Angular Momentum Vector Question.

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation.

2. How is torque related to angular momentum?

Torque and angular momentum are closely related, as torque is the rate of change of angular momentum. In other words, torque is the force that changes the rotational speed or direction of an object.

3. What is the difference between angular velocity and angular momentum?

Angular velocity is a measure of how fast an object is rotating around an axis, while angular momentum is a measure of the amount of rotational motion an object has. Angular momentum takes into account both the speed and direction of the rotation.

4. How do you calculate the direction of the angular momentum vector?

The direction of the angular momentum vector is determined by the right-hand rule. If you curl the fingers of your right hand in the direction of the rotation, the direction your thumb points in is the direction of the angular momentum vector.

5. Can torque and angular momentum be negative?

Yes, torque and angular momentum can be negative. A negative torque would cause an object to rotate in the opposite direction, while a negative angular momentum would mean the object is rotating in the opposite direction of the chosen axis of rotation.