Angular momentum L=rxP and L=I x omega ?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of L=r x P and L=I x Omega in classical physics. The speaker mentions that "spin angular momentum" is typically dealt with in quantum mechanics. They explain that L with moment of inertia is used for objects spinning with isolated mass and different 3D geometries, while L=r x P is used for planetary motion and proving Kepler's second law. The speaker also mentions using the right hand rule to combine torque and angular momentum into a new vector. They then go on to discuss four theorems about angular momentum, including equations for external forces and inertia. For a rigid body with fixed point O, L=J_O x omega is used, while for general motion, L=
LightQuanta
AngularMomentumInCM-300x167.png

When do we use L=r x P and L=I x Omega (angular velocity)?

in old 8.01x - Lect 24, I pasted here link of the lecture, which will take you at exact time (at 27:02)he says "spin angular momentum" in classical physics lecture and why? I expected to hear "angular momentum" vector.

Normally, "spin angular momentum" we deal with it in quantum mechanics.

So, how should I understand this correctly when to use L with moment of inertia or when to use L with r x P? I know both dimensionally equal.

My current understanding is that, I would use L with moment of inertia, when I see object spinning with mass isolated itself with different 3d solid or hollow geometry. Since we have each formula for respective moment of inertia.

I would use L= r x P when I see planetary motion in orbits objects separated by distance "r" or to prove Kepler's second law.

Can we independently take different vectors using right hand rule (individually) and combine actual direction of torque, angular momentum, etc into one diagram of cross products ? This combination in itself is a new vector perpendicular to plane of two vectors (taken from right hand rule) ? although they do not form a formula in combination ?

Attachments

• AngularMomentumInCM-300x167.png
    AngularMomentumInCM-300x167.png
    5 KB · Views: 2,193
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, there are at least four theorems about angular momentum.

Let ##O\boldsymbol e_x\boldsymbol e_y\boldsymbol e_z## be an inertial frame and let ##A_1,\ldots,A_N## be a system of mass points with masses ##m_1,\ldots, m_N##.
Assume also that ##\boldsymbol F_k## is an external force that applied to the point ##A_k##. Then
$$\boldsymbol L_0=\sum_{i=1}^Nm_i\boldsymbol{OA}_i\times \boldsymbol v_i;\quad \boldsymbol\tau_0=\sum_{i=1}^N\boldsymbol{OA}_i\times\boldsymbol F_i$$
and $$ \frac{d}{dt}\boldsymbol L_O= \boldsymbol\tau_O\qquad (1).$$
By ##S## denote a center of mass of this system. Let ##S\boldsymbol e_x\boldsymbol e_y\boldsymbol e_z## be a moving coordinate frame
that have ##S## as the origin and does not rotate. By ##\boldsymbol v_i^r## denote a velocity of the point ##A_i## relative to ##S\boldsymbol e_x\boldsymbol e_y\boldsymbol e_z##.

Then
$$\boldsymbol L_O=m\boldsymbol{OS}\times \boldsymbol v_S+\boldsymbol L_*,\quad \boldsymbol L_*=\sum_{i=1}^Nm_i\boldsymbol{SA}_i\times \boldsymbol v_i^r,\quad m=\sum_{i=1}^Nm_i;$$
and
$$ \frac{d}{dt}\boldsymbol L_*= \boldsymbol\tau_*,\quad \boldsymbol\tau_*=\sum_{i=1}^N\boldsymbol{SA}_i\times\boldsymbol F_i.\qquad (2)$$

If the system of mass points ##A_1,\ldots,A_N## forms a rigid body with fixed point ##O## then formula (1) remains valid with ##\boldsymbol L_O=J_O\boldsymbol\omega,## where ##J_O## is the inertia operator about the point ##O##. ##\boldsymbol\omega## is rigid body's angular velocity. The following formula is also true
$$\frac{d}{dt}\boldsymbol L_O=J_O\frac{d}{dt}\boldsymbol{\omega}+\boldsymbol\omega\times J_O\boldsymbol\omega.$$
For general motion of the rigid body formula (2) is used with
$$\boldsymbol L_*=J_S\boldsymbol\omega,$$
and $$\frac{d}{dt}\boldsymbol L_*=J_S\frac{d}{dt}\boldsymbol{\omega}+\boldsymbol\omega\times J_S\boldsymbol\omega.$$

Last edited:
Likes LightQuanta

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a physical quantity that describes the rotational motion of an object. It is defined as the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity.

2. How is angular momentum calculated?

The angular momentum of an object can be calculated using the formula L = r x p or L = I x ω, where r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the object, p is the linear momentum of the object, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity.

3. What is the relationship between angular momentum and moment of inertia?

Angular momentum and moment of inertia are directly proportional to each other. This means that as the moment of inertia increases, the angular momentum also increases and vice versa.

4. How does angular momentum relate to rotational motion?

Angular momentum is a measure of an object's rotational motion. It is conserved in a closed system, meaning that it remains constant unless acted upon by an external torque.

5. What are some real-life applications of angular momentum?

Angular momentum is used in various fields, including physics, engineering, and astronomy. Some examples of its applications include gyroscopes, spinning tops, and the motion of planets and stars.