Torque and angular acceleration of a grindstone

In summary, we have a grindstone with a diameter of 0.550 m and a mass of 50.0 kg rotating at 840 rev/min. When pressed with a normal force of 160 N, the grindstone comes to rest in 7.60 s. To find the coefficient of friction between the ax and the grindstone, we can use Newton's second law for rotation. The friction force is related to the normal force, and we can use the equation torque = r x (Fnmewk) = I x alpha to find the coefficient of friction. We can convert ω to units of radians/second and solve for mewk, which should not be larger than 1.
BoldKnight399
A grindstone in the shape of a solid disk with diameter 0.550 m and a mass of m = 50.0 kg is rotating at omega = 840 rev/min. You press an ax against the rim with a normal force of F = 160 N , and the grindstone comes to rest in 7.60 s. Find the coefficient of friction between the ax and the grindstone. You can ignore friction in the bearings.

To be honest, I want to draw a force diagram, but the thing is that the force then pushes into the grindstone. And then I was thinking about using Wtot-Wfriction=Change in Kinetic energy. But the thing is that I don't know how to use the Fnormal. If anyone can point me in the right direction, that would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
BoldKnight399 said:
And then I was thinking about using Wtot-Wfriction=Change in Kinetic energy.
Better to use Newton's 2nd law for rotation.
But the thing is that I don't know how to use the Fnormal.
Hint: How does Fnormal relate to the friction force?

second law for rotations? torque=rXF? and Oh, fk=fnmewk. but I still don't know where to fit it into the equation/ or is that my F?

Yes, the friction force is the force that produces the torque.

so then torque=r X (fn*mewk)=I*alpha
but then how do I relate omega to alpha? is it alpha=domega/dt?

BoldKnight399 said:
so then torque=r X (fn*mewk)=I*alpha
Good.
but then how do I relate omega to alpha? is it alpha=domega/dt?
Yes. α = Δω/Δt. But convert ω to units of radians/second.

So i did that using my numbers and I get that the answer is 29.83 which makes absolutely no sense because mew cannot be bigger than 1. Did I do somethign wrong in the calculations: I got that my equations were:
r*Fnmewk=1/2mr^2*(w*2pi/t)
so
mewk=(1/2mr^2*(w*2pi/t))/(r*F)
so mew k=29 which is wrong
so did I just plug it into my calculator wrong or what?

BoldKnight399 said:
Did I do somethign wrong in the calculations: I got that my equations were:
r*Fnmewk=1/2mr^2*(w*2pi/t)
Note that you are given ω in units of rev/minute. How can you convert to radians/second?

Related to Torque and angular acceleration of a grindstone

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation.

2. How is torque related to angular acceleration?

Torque and angular acceleration are directly proportional. This means that the greater the torque applied, the greater the resulting angular acceleration will be.

3. How is the angular acceleration of a grindstone calculated?

The angular acceleration of a grindstone can be calculated by dividing the torque applied to the grindstone by its moment of inertia. The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion.

4. What factors can affect the torque and angular acceleration of a grindstone?

The torque and angular acceleration of a grindstone can be affected by the force applied, the distance from the axis of rotation, and the moment of inertia of the grindstone. Other factors such as friction and air resistance may also play a role.

5. How is torque and angular acceleration used in real-life applications?

Torque and angular acceleration are used in many real-life applications, such as in the operation of machines and vehicles. They are also important in sports, such as in the rotation of a gymnast on the uneven bars or a diver performing a somersault. Understanding these concepts can also aid in the design and improvement of tools and equipment.