Topology Proof: AcBcX, B closed -> A'cB'

In summary: A'cB'cB, which implies A'cB'In summary, if AcBcX, B is closed, then A'cB'. This can be proven by showing that if B is closed, then A'cB'. Additionally, A'cB'cB can be shown, which implies A'cB'.
FrancisD
Topology Proof: AcBcX, B closed --> A'cB'

Homework Statement

Prove:
AcBcX, B closed --> A'cB'

and where the prime denotes the set of limit points in that set
X\B is the set difference

Homework Equations

Theorem:
B is closed <--> For all b in X\B, there exists a neighborhood U of b with UcX\B

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, so I am having no problem showing that the set of limit points of B is contained in B, if B is closed. I feel that there must be a way to extend this fact to show that A'cB', but I am not sure exactly how to do this.

From the theorem:
Since B is closed, there exists a neighborhood U of b with UcX\B, for all b in X\B

then, the intersection of B and U must be empty, AND the intersection of B and (U\{b}) must also be empty.

From the definition of limit point, if b is contained in X\B, then b cannot be contained in B'

or, for all x in B', x also is contained in B.

This is where I have gotten stuck.

Could I possibly show that B closed implies A closed, then use the same logic to show that A'cAcB ?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

Okay, so I was able to prove that if AcBcX, then A'cB'.

Then, A'cB'cB

Related to Topology Proof: AcBcX, B closed -> A'cB'

1. What is topology proof?

Topology proof is a type of mathematical proof that involves studying the properties and relationships of topological spaces. It is used to prove the validity of statements or theorems related to these spaces.

2. What is the meaning of "AcBcX" in the context of topology proof?

In topology proof, "AcBcX" means that point A is not contained in the closure of point B in the space X. This indicates that there is some distance between A and B in the topological space.

3. Why is the condition "B closed" important in the statement "AcBcX, B closed -> A'cB'"?

The condition "B closed" is important because it ensures that the closure of point B in the space X is also contained in B. This is necessary for the statement "A'cB'" to be true, as it means that point A is not only not contained in the closure of B, but also not in B itself.

4. What does the symbol "->" mean in the statement "AcBcX, B closed -> A'cB'"?

In topology proof, the symbol "->" means "implies". This means that the statement on the left (in this case, "AcBcX, B closed") leads to or results in the statement on the right (in this case, "A'cB'").

5. Can you give an example of how "AcBcX, B closed -> A'cB'" can be applied in topology proof?

Sure, let's say we have a topological space X that consists of a circle. Point A is located outside the circle, while point B is located on the circle. Since point A is not contained in the closure of B (the circle), and the circle is closed, we can conclude that point A is not contained in point B's closure. Therefore, the statement "A'cB'" is true.