Topological Conjugation between two dynamical systems

When x < 0, then h(x) < 0, so |h(x)| = -h(x). Therefore, for x \leq \frac12, we have |h(x)| = -h(x) since h(x) \leq 0.
selig5560

Homework Statement

Find a topological conjugation between g(x) and T(x) where g and T are mappings (both tent maps [graphically speaking])

Homework Equations

g:[-1, 1] → [-1,1]
g(x) = 1-2|x|

T:[0,1] → [0, 1]
T(x) = 2x when x ≤ 1/2 and 2(1-x) when x ≥ 1/2

h ° T = g ° h (homeomorphism)

The Attempt at a Solution

h:[0, 1] → [-1, 1]
h(x) = cos(∏x)

when T(x) = 2x and x ≤ 1/2:

cos(∏*(2x)) = sin^2(∏x) - cos^(∏x) = 1 - 2cos^2(∏x) = 1 - 2|cos^2(∏x) = -cos(2∏x)

when T(x) = 2(1-x) and x ≥ 1/2

cos(2∏(1-x) = cos(2∏-2x∏) = -cos^2(∏x)+sin^2(∏x) = 1-2|cos^2(∏x) + sin^2(∏x) = 1-2|cos(2∏x)|

The above attempt I know is incorrect because after I introduce the absolute value brackets I do not get the desired result.

This is when I get stuck. I have tried many different variations of trig functions to act as the conjugator between g and T(x), however I have had no luck (after many hours.) I know for that it would be easy to find a homeomorphism if it wasnt for the |x| part of the 1-2|x| dynamical system (tent map.) I do not think that I am supposed to find a conjugation between two tent maps (explicit i,.e. conjugating two piecewise functions) because it seems that would be highly redundant. If anyone could provide some assistance that would be great.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
selig5560 said:

Homework Statement

Find a topological conjugation between g(x) and T(x) where g and T are mappings (both tent maps [graphically speaking])

Homework Equations

g:[-1, 1] → [-1,1]
g(x) = 1-2|x|

T:[0,1] → [0, 1]
T(x) = 2x when x ≤ 1/2 and 2(1-x) when x ≥ 1/2

h ° T = g ° h (homeomorphism)

The Attempt at a Solution

h:[0, 1] → [-1, 1]
h(x) = cos(∏x)

You want [itex]h(0) = -1[/itex] (fixed points must map to fixed points) and [itex]h(1) = 1[/itex].

when T(x) = 2x and x ≤ 1/2:

cos(∏*(2x)) = sin^2(∏x) - cos^(∏x) = 1 - 2cos^2(∏x) = 1 - 2|cos^2(∏x) = -cos(2∏x)

when T(x) = 2(1-x) and x ≥ 1/2

cos(2∏(1-x) = cos(2∏-2x∏) = -cos^2(∏x)+sin^2(∏x) = 1-2|cos^2(∏x) + sin^2(∏x) = 1-2|cos(2∏x)|

The above attempt I know is incorrect because after I introduce the absolute value brackets I do not get the desired result.

Cosine is even: [itex]\cos(2\pi(1 - x)) = \cos (-2\pi x) = \cos (2\pi x)[/itex].

EDIT: did you consider the straightforward [itex]h : [0,1] \to [-1,1]: x \mapsto 2x - 1[/itex]?

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. Good point on the cosine being even - Forgot about that. I tried your "straightforward" approach, however no luok so far. If I'm not mistaken the homeomoprhism has to be algebraic at this point. I don't see a way of simplifying trig functions with those | | being part of the DDS.

Last edited:
I used the affine transform you provdd ie. 2x-1 and it did not yield a conjugation. my work:

g(h(x)) = 1-2|2x-1|
h(T(x)) =

x <= 1/2: 2(2x) - 1 = 4x - 1 [itex]\neq[/itex] -4x+3 = 1-2(2x-1) = g(h(x))

x >= 1/2: 2(2-2x) - 1 = 4 - 4x - 1 = -4x + 3 = 1-2(2x-1) = 1-4x + 3 = -4x + 3 = g(h(x))

this is of course using h(x) = 2x-1

where h(0) = -1 and h(1) = 1

Last edited:
selig5560 said:
I used the affine transform you provdd ie. 2x-1 and it did not yield a conjugation. my work:

g(h(x)) = 1-2|2x-1|
h(T(x)) =

x <= 1/2: 2(2x) - 1 = 4x - 1 [itex]\neq[/itex] -4x+3 = 1-2(2x-1) = g(h(x))

You should have [itex]g(h(x)) = 1 + 2h(x)[/itex] when [itex]x \leq \frac 12[/itex], because [itex]h(x) \leq 0[/itex] and [itex]|h(x)| = -h(x)[/itex] when [itex]x \leq \frac12[/itex].

THanks for the reply I will try it out.

EDIT: It works now. However, out of self-interest I would like to understand a bit more abour your statement. Isnt |h(x)| = -h(x) when x < 0? In this case x <= 1/2, so how would it be true that |h(x)| = -h(x) (when the condition is when its x < 0?
Selig

Last edited:

Related to Topological Conjugation between two dynamical systems

1. What is topological conjugation between two dynamical systems?

Topological conjugation is a mathematical concept used in the study of dynamical systems. It refers to the transformation of one dynamical system into another with the same topological structure, meaning the same qualitative behavior and relationships between points in the system.

2. How is topological conjugation different from other types of conjugation?

Topological conjugation is different from other types of conjugation, such as algebraic conjugation, because it focuses on the qualitative behavior of the systems rather than specific numerical values or equations. It is also a more general concept, as it can be applied to a wider range of systems.

3. What is the significance of topological conjugation in the study of dynamical systems?

Topological conjugation allows us to better understand the relationship between different dynamical systems and their behavior. It can help identify similarities and differences between systems and provide insights into their underlying structures and dynamics.

4. How is topological conjugation determined between two systems?

Topological conjugation is determined by finding a continuous and bijective function that maps one system onto the other while preserving the topological structure. This function is known as a topological conjugacy and can be used to show that the two systems are topologically equivalent.

5. Can topological conjugation be applied to real-world systems?

Yes, topological conjugation can be applied to a wide range of systems, including physical, biological, and social systems. It has practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics, where understanding the behavior and relationships between systems is crucial.