Topics re harmonic oscillators

In summary, the harmonic oscillator is a crucial topic in physics and appears in various fields, from quantum mechanics to cosmology. It is a good idea for a first-year physics/applied math major to read extensively on this topic. The harmonic oscillator is important because it models nearly all potentials near equilibrium and can be solved analytically. It can be found in books on mathematical physics and classical mechanics, as well as introductory books on quantum mechanics.
radiogaga35
Hi there

I've heard from various applied mathematicians that the D.E. that models harmonic motion is one of the most important in physics...apparently it appears in nearly every conceivable field, from quantum mechanics to cosmology (something to do with modelling the cosmic microwave background)?

Accordingly I've decided that it might be beneficial if I tried to read widely on harmonic oscillators.

I'm a first-year physics/appl. maths major. I've covered Feynman's treatment of the topic (Lectures Vol. I chapters 21-24 I think) and other than that I've encountered it, though on a basic level, in my introductory mechanics and statistical mechanics courses.

Is the harmonic oscillator really as important as I've heard? And if so, could you recommend with which topics I might start and how I could proceed? Also, if I could use this as a platform to get to grips with some new math (or at least, math I would encounter only later in my studies) then that would be a bonus...

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes harmonic oscillator is indeed a very imoprtant topic in physics.
First of all because all potentials near equilibrium are in first order aproximate quadratic (what is exactly potential of harmonic oscillator). As we know all thing in nature are usually in equilibrium and any displacements from that state can be treated as harmonic motions.
Second of all harmonic oscillator is one of the few examples that can be solved in analytic way.

It can be found in all books of mathemathical physics and of course in books of classical mechanics (Goldstein...). Quantum harmonic oscollator can be found in all introductionary books of quantum mechanics.

Hope that helps.

Ok, thanks for the suggestions...sounds like I'm spoilt for choice!

Related to Topics re harmonic oscillators

What is a harmonic oscillator?

A harmonic oscillator is a physical system that exhibits a repetitive or oscillatory motion around a stable equilibrium point. Examples of harmonic oscillators include a mass on a spring, a pendulum, and an LC circuit.

What is the equation of motion for a harmonic oscillator?

The equation of motion for a harmonic oscillator is given by F = -kx, where F is the restoring force, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement from equilibrium. This equation is known as Hooke's Law.

What is the relationship between frequency and period in a harmonic oscillator?

The frequency of a harmonic oscillator is inversely proportional to the period. This means that as the frequency increases, the period decreases, and vice versa. The frequency is given by f = 1/T, where T is the period.

What is the difference between simple harmonic motion and damped harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is the oscillatory motion of a harmonic oscillator in the absence of any external forces or friction. Damped harmonic motion, on the other hand, takes into account the effects of friction or damping on the motion of the oscillator. This results in the amplitude of the oscillations decreasing over time.

How are harmonic oscillators used in real-world applications?

Harmonic oscillators are used in a variety of real-world applications, including timekeeping devices such as pendulum clocks and quartz watches, musical instruments, and electrical circuits. They are also used in engineering and physics experiments to study the behavior of systems in oscillatory motion.