Tool for Creating Calculus Expressions

In summary, the forum members discussed suggestions for a free, online or downloadable tool for creating calculus expressions. Some options mentioned were Latex editors such as TeXShop and LyX, as well as Wolfram Alpha. The forum also discussed the use of TeX and LaTex in creating mathematical expressions. The conversation ended with the suggestion to try LyX, a free, user-friendly processor for complex typesetting.
Underhill
I read the forum rules regarding posting strictly in the format laid out; I hope this is a legitimate post. Thanks for understanding!

Homework Statement

As a Calculus II student in high school, I have been in increasing need of a means to create calculus expressions that can be emailed or manipulated digitally.

Would any of you experienced forum members have any suggestions for me?

Homework Equations

Free, online or downloadable, calculus expression-maker tool.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've searched online for Latex editors, as I've heard that these are used for this purpose. However, I was unable to find a free solution. I've tried to scan handwritten expressions, but this process takes too long and the resulting JPG is hard to manage once I get it onto the computer.

I also thought of Wolfram Alpha, but was unable to use it to make custom expressions.

P.S. I just noticed your "Quick Symbols" box; what tool is this based on?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Underhill said:
I've searched online for Latex editors, as I've heard that these are used for this purpose. However, I was unable to find a free solution.

Really? I use TeXShop, which is free. I think it only works on Macs, but I think there is an equivalent for machines running Windows. Look here: http://www.ctan.org/starter.html and here: http://www.tug.org/interest.html#free.

Last edited by a moderator:
The symbols in these forums are based on TeX. There are many versions of TeX, some including editors. You might try LyX. Just google it. Another option is Miktex.

Thanks, guys!

The links spamiam provided helped me understand what TeX and LaTex are - something I didn't know before. I followed LCKurtz's advice and googled Lyx. I'm downloading it now from Lyx.org as it seems to be exactly what I want - an easy-to-understand processor similar to Word except it is free and designed to handle mathematical expressions and other complex typesetting.

Related to Tool for Creating Calculus Expressions

1. What is a tool for creating calculus expressions?

A tool for creating calculus expressions is a computer program or software that allows users to input mathematical equations and generate corresponding graphs, tables, and other visual representations.

2. How does a tool for creating calculus expressions work?

A tool for creating calculus expressions works by using algorithms and mathematical formulas to process the inputted equations and generate the desired output. It may also have a user-friendly interface for easier navigation and customization.

3. What are the benefits of using a tool for creating calculus expressions?

The benefits of using a tool for creating calculus expressions include saving time and effort in manually calculating equations, increasing accuracy and precision in graphing and solving equations, and providing a visual representation of mathematical concepts for better understanding.

4. Is a tool for creating calculus expressions suitable for all levels of math proficiency?

Yes, a tool for creating calculus expressions can be used by both beginners and advanced users. It may have different levels of complexity and features that cater to different levels of math proficiency.

5. Can a tool for creating calculus expressions be used for other mathematical concepts?

Yes, some tools for creating calculus expressions may also have features for solving and graphing other mathematical concepts such as algebra, geometry, and statistics. It may also have the ability to handle multiple variables and equations simultaneously.