To what angle does each ball rebound?

In summary: VMa = 2.40 m/sYM1A = 0.1152 mBMa = 200 gVMb = -0.8 m/sYM2A = 0.512 mIn summary, the 100 g steel ball rebounds at an angle of 79.3 degrees and the 200 g steel ball rebounds at an angle of 14.7 degrees after colliding at the bottom of their swings. The rebound angles were calculated using conservation of momentum and energy equations.
viendong
need help ASAP [solved] :)

I've been trying for hours... and couldn't get it right though

A 100 g steel ball and a 200 g steel ball each hang from 1.00 long strings. After rest, the balls hand side by side, barely touching. The 100 g ball is pulled to the left until its string is at a 45 degree angle. The 200 g ball is pulled to a 45 degree angle on the right. The balls are released so as to collide at the very bottom of their swings
Question: To what angle does each ball rebound.?
Answer: m =100 g >>> 79.3 degree
m = 200 g>>>>>14.7 degree
-----------
1) find (y_0)A when the 100 ball is pulled to the left w/ 45 degree angle
(y_1)A = L(1-cos(theta))
=1(1-cos(45)
= 0.293
2) From that I find (V_1)A = sqr(2*g*(y_0)A)
(V_1)A = 2.40 m/s

3) Now I find the (V_2)A = (m1-m2)/(m1+m2)*(V_1)A
V_2)A = - 0.8 m/s

4) Now I find (Y_2)A = (V_2)A ^2/2*g

4) Now I need to find the angle that rebound for Ma=100 g

(theta) = arcosin(1-(Y_2)A /L) = 37 degree...

but the answer is 79.3 degree, please help me what I've done wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
viendong said:
A 100 g steel ball and a 200 g steel ball each hang from 1.00 long strings. After rest, the balls hand side by side, barely touching. The 100 g ball is pulled to the left until its string is at a 45 degree angle. The 200 g ball is pulled to a 45 degree angle on the right. The balls are released so as to collide at the very bottom of their swings
Question: To what angle does each ball rebound.?
Think of this in terms of an elastic collision between the two balls at the bottom. You can determine their speeds at the bottom using:
mgh = mv2/2

Since the collision speed is independent of m, v1 = -v2
Using conservation of momentum you can determine their respective velocities after collision. From that, determine their respective kinetic energies immediately after the collision. Using mgh = mv2/2 you can determine the maximum height the respective masses will reach.

AM

To find the angle of rebound, you need to use the conservation of energy principle. The total energy of the system (balls) at the bottom of their swings should be equal to the total energy at the top of their swings. This means that the potential energy at the top (when pulled to a 45 degree angle) should be equal to the kinetic energy at the bottom (when they collide). So, using the formula for potential energy (PE = mgh) and kinetic energy (KE = 1/2mv^2), we can set up the equation:

PE(top) = KE(bottom)
mgh = 1/2mv^2

Since the masses are the same and the height (h) is the same for both balls, we can cancel those out. This leaves us with:

g = 1/2v^2

Now, we can solve for the velocity at the bottom (v) by plugging in the value for g (9.8 m/s^2). We get v = 4.43 m/s.

But, we need to find the angle of rebound, not the velocity. So, we can use the formula for velocity (v = ucos(theta)) to find the angle. Plugging in the values we know (v = 4.43 m/s and u = 2.40 m/s), we get:

4.43 m/s = 2.40 m/s * cos(theta)

Solving for theta, we get theta = 79.3 degrees. This is the angle of rebound for both balls.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to To what angle does each ball rebound?

1. What factors affect the angle at which a ball rebounds?

The angle at which a ball rebounds is affected by several factors, including the material and shape of the ball, the surface it is rebounding off of, and the velocity and angle of the ball at impact.

2. Is there a specific formula for determining the angle of rebound?

Yes, there is a formula that can be used to calculate the angle of rebound. It is known as the law of reflection, which states that the angle of incidence (incoming angle) is equal to the angle of reflection (outgoing angle).

3. How does the elasticity of a ball affect its rebound angle?

The elasticity, or bounciness, of a ball can have a significant impact on its rebound angle. A more elastic ball will rebound at a smaller angle, while a less elastic ball will rebound at a larger angle. This is due to the transfer of kinetic energy during impact.

4. Can the angle of rebound be predicted accurately every time?

No, there are other variables at play that can affect the angle of rebound, such as air resistance and spin. However, the law of reflection can provide a general prediction for the angle of rebound in ideal conditions.

5. Is the angle of rebound the same for all types of balls?

No, the angle of rebound can vary depending on the type of ball. For example, a tennis ball will rebound at a different angle than a basketball due to differences in mass, shape, and surface material.