To those starting grad school this fall: Where have you chosen to study?

In summary, the conversation discussed where new graduate students have chosen to study after the April 15th deadline. The speaker mentions that they will be attending UC - Santa Barbara and invites anyone else going there to contact them. Another speaker mentions they will be attending UIUC and turned down a fellowship from Cornell. A third speaker also reveals they will be attending UCSB, citing the appeal of the nearby beach as a factor in their decision.
mattlorig
Now that the April 15th deadline has passed, I thought it would be a good idea to find out where all the new graduate students have decided to study. That way, you might be able to find other students going to the same school as you.

I chose UC - Santa Barbara. If anybody else is going there, send me an e-mail or PM.

Physics news on Phys.org
I will be going to UIUC. I do wish they pay more - I had to turn down a very generous fellowship from Cornell to go there.

I'll also be going to UCSB - couldn't resist the beach.

Related to To those starting grad school this fall: Where have you chosen to study?

1. What factors did you consider when choosing where to study for grad school?

There are a few key factors that I considered when choosing where to study for grad school. These include the reputation and ranking of the program, the location and cost of living, the faculty and research opportunities available, and the overall fit and feel of the campus and community.

2. How did you make your final decision on where to attend grad school?

I made my final decision on where to attend grad school by carefully weighing all of the factors mentioned above and also by visiting the campuses and speaking with current students and faculty. I also considered any financial aid or scholarship opportunities that were available.

3. What are some tips for finding the right grad school for you?

Some tips for finding the right grad school for you include researching and comparing programs, visiting campuses, talking to current students and faculty, considering your career goals and interests, and carefully considering the location and cost of living.

4. How important is the ranking of a grad school when making a decision?

The ranking of a grad school can be an important factor to consider, as it can reflect the overall quality and reputation of the program. However, it is not the only factor to consider and should not be the sole deciding factor. It's important to also consider the fit and feel of the program, as well as your personal goals and interests.

5. What advice do you have for someone starting grad school in the fall?

My advice for someone starting grad school in the fall is to be open-minded and willing to learn and adapt. Take advantage of all the resources and opportunities available, including networking with faculty and peers, participating in research and internships, and seeking support and guidance when needed. It's also important to find a good work-life balance and prioritize self-care to avoid burnout.